You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Nexa 1400mm (55") wingspan DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane in British Camo - Balsa ARF
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	253580

Product Availability: The estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this product is late-May, 2020. Please click the "Notify Me When Back In Stock" button above to receive an email notification when the product is available for purchase.

The de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth is a 1930s British biplane designed by Geoffrey de Havilland and built by the de Havilland Aircraft Company. Operated by both the Royal Air Force (RAF) and others, the Tiger Moth saw distinguished service as a dependable training aircraft. RAF Tiger Moths also served in WW2 as maritime surveillance and even as a light bomber.

We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer-favorites and new, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points.

The Nexa DH.82 Tiger Moth is a .46 size electric or gas option scale series warbird with a 1400mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes four piece wing with aluminum wing joiners, wing cabane, bracing and struts, painted pilot, pre-hinged and installed control surfaces. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. An absolute classic at any airfield.
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa Tiger Moth comes fully covered in the British Royal Air Force camo livery in a satisfying matte finish.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this Tiger Moth including wing cabane, bracing, struts, detailed cockpits and painted pilot.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully pre-hinged and installed for your convenience.
    Four Piece Wing with Aluminum Wing Joiners

The Nexa Tiger Moth comes with four piece wing with aluminum wing joiners for easy transportation.
    FEATURES:
    • High contrast and attractive RAF (Royal Air Force) camo livery
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Four piece wing with aluminum wing joiners for easy transport
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including painted pilot and nicely detailed cockpits
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa DH.82 Tiger Moth British Camo 1400mm (55") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels, wheel covers
    • Engine mounts, spinner
    • Fuel tank, hardware and decals
    REQUIRES:GAS REQUIRES:
    Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Sweet! Glad to see you guys are picking up the VQ line. The Tiggy is one I've been eyeing for some time.

Comment

Looks nice! Often the issue with bi-planes is battery access and the required placement to get the CG right. Can you show pictures of the hatch area and how it is inserted? Bottom access or top via canopy? Would love to replace my well worn maxford Stearman for this if it flies well and battery access is reasonable. Any video of takeoff and landing to share ? Thanks much...

Comment

I'm looking forward to this one. I had a nice Tiger moth many years ago that I really miss. Is the underside of the wings the linen color or is it the yellow that they painted a lot of the trainers? In the pictures it looks linen but i haven't seen a great picture yet. The Royal Navy scheme is a good one two, its going to be a tough choice which to get.
        If Motion is going to keep adding balsa models, I would love to see more WWI and between the wars planes. I'm not a fan of foam for WWI models.

Comment

Tim K I agree with the desire to bring in more early era aircraft. There is a thread to request these types of aircraft. Please feel free to add you voice here:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...ightline-class

wcessna, It looks like the battery hatch is accessed by lifting the cockpit area off. It's visible in the last couple of pictures.

Comment

I got one of these from HK last week and have started the assembly- it's the Cambridge Fying School livery but identical otherwise. Of course the MRC announcement followed the purchase or I might have waited as that camo scheme looks good. I'm replacing my 10 year old Green Models Moth (50" w.s.) as the poor thing had a fatal encounter with a runway light- our club has acquired the use of a full size paved strip and she got away from me on take off. The only way I could console myself was to quickly replace it, so there it is.
            From all accounts this VQ version is a good flier and for the most part I think the kit is of good quality and well thought out, though I'll be changing a few things. If anyone is interested I'll update when I've got more done- here's a link to the RCG thread:
            https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-VQ-Tiger-Moth
            Tom Click image for larger version

Name:	Moth.JPG
Views:	3323
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	255173

Comment

Here is mine, in the Cambridge Flying Club colors (ordered from HK, long before Motion RC began selling the models).

This is my second VQ model and I'm very happy with the plane. I'm using a Suppo 4120, 620kV motor, 80 amp Hobbywing ESC, 12x8 Master Airscrew prop, and 6s 3,000mAh battery. It balanced perfectly, I did not have to add any weight to the firewall.

It has plenty of power, of course, though it also flys nice and slow. Really happy with this plane.

*** This picture was taken before I switched props. The prop in this picture is a 14x7, it worked well, but the smaller 12x8 looks better.

Comment

My Tiger Moth came in last weekend and I have started assembling it. I am very impressed in the quality of this plane especially at the price point MotionRC is selling it. Everything is going together well. The only issue I am having at this point is getting enough weight in the nose to get proper CG, but I kind of expected that with a model designed to have a gas engine. Anyway I am uploading a bunch of pictures and will add some more as I finish up the build. I may maiden it this weekend assuming the weather cooperates (forecast is for rain)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.JPEG
Views:	3267
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	256840Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3077.JPEG
Views:	3236
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	256841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.JPEG
Views:	3244
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	256842Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3079.JPEG
Views:	3274
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	256843Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3080.JPEG
Views:	3226
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	256844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3082.JPEG
Views:	3210
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	256845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3090.JPEG
Views:	3240
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	256846Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.JPEG
Views:	3192
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	256847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.JPEG
Views:	3288
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	256848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3086.JPEG
Views:	3222
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	256849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.JPEG
Views:	3280
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	256850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.JPEG
Views:	3319
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	256851Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3087.JPEG
Views:	3265
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	256852Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3092.JPEG
Views:	3261
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	256853

Comment

That's the same chap that came with my Val!

Comment

Hey guys, I just one of the last remaning camo liveries!
                    Whoo ho! My first MOTH! I've always wanted one! Happy to be cleaning the camo livery pallet, at Motion RC! Can't decide classic nitro OS 4 stroke, or good ol' boring, clean. no mess, no field box, electric?

Comment

I am excited as I have one on the way myself! Never had a WW1 bird before and always wanted one. Will definitely be posting the assembly here

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                        I am excited as I have one on the way myself! Never had a WW1 bird before and always wanted one. Will definitely be posting the assembly here
                        The Tiger Moth was built in the 1930's and was used as the RAF's primary trainer during WWII. So well after WWI and it wasn't used in combat. Its the RAF equivalent of the Boeing PT-17.
                        Here is a cool bit of trivia
                        "In 1935 the DH.82 Queen Bee, a pilotless, radio-controlled variant of the Tiger Moth appeared, for use in training anti-aircraft gunners. Use of the word drone, as a generic term for pilotless aircraft, apparently originated from the name and role of the Queen Bee"

Comment

Kind of wish there was a plug and play option on the VQ/Nexa planes.

Comment

I just ordered the last Moth that Motion had. It will make a nice addition to my other Bipe which is a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                              I just ordered the last Moth that Motion had. It will make a nice addition to my other Bipe which is a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel.
                              Yesterday you made this proclamation about the FlightLine Bronco pre-order >
                              Well I went ahead and cancelled out my preorder. I just don't have the room to store this bird right now, too many planes already I might have to thin out my fleet so in the future I can get this plane.
                              So now you have room This Moth is just as big as the Bronco You'll be missing out on a real sweet twin
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have my reasons for the planes I want to get. your post ticked me off.

Comment

Ordered my Royal Navy version last week, arrived 2 days later. Great going Motion RC. As indicated by another member, there is a concern with balance using electric power systems. I spent this week assembling the plane and the balance is a real problem. I have a 3548 motor with 4S 4000mah battery for locomotion. It's a smaller motor but well suited to the 4S battery. Test flights will be in the morning. If it flies well, I may go back and build a motor box to mount on the firewall. This will allow room to open the firewall and move the battery about 3" forward and loose some the dead weight. I ended up adding more than 18 oz under the motor to get things right. For metric folks, that's 520g of ballast. My flying weight is 3550g or 7.8 lbs. Once I start test flights, I'll adjust the balance point to suit my style. I may end up loosing a few ounces when done.

Alignment of the wings are another area of concern. There is a twist introduced by installing the wing struts. The twist does provide washout to the top wing which is good, but that also means washin on the bottom wing. This is not unusual for biplanes but forcing it by the struts is troublesome. It may cause a wing failure with the added stress that was not built into the wing during construction. Flying will tell if this will be a weak point or not.

Comment

I got to maiden my Tiger Moth this morning. It flew good. I had trouble getting it to CG so I ended up cutting a hole through the firewall and 3d printing a extended battery tray that allowed me to push the battery all the up to the motor mount. It worked well and I was able to balance it on the forward CG dimension as per the manual. I flew it on a 6cell 4000mah battery for the maiden, but planned on trying a 4cell, however the 4 cell didn't have enough power and I didn't want to chance it. I will try a different prop and or higher KVA motor and see if that makes a difference. With 6cell 4000mah if flew nice on about 60-75% throttle and I flew two 4.30-5:00 minute flights on that one battery.
                                    The Maiden flight went well, with just minor trimming needed I screwed up the landing a bid and got too slow so I didn't have enough rudder authority and she took a hard right that I couldn't correct after landing. Here is a link to the hat cam video: https://youtu.be/-RKt0J59uiY
                                    Second flight was good also, I did some loops and stall turns, and rolls, I will probably increase the aileron rates a touch, but the elevator and rudder as set per the manual seemed good. I held a little more speed in the landing and it was much better. Here is a link to the second flight: https://youtu.be/BsWQgEtM11M

Comment

It's now a day later (see earlier post) and the test flight of the Tigre Moth was done this morning. After assembly and range testing, a pre-flight was done to double check landing gear, motor, direction and travel of control surfaces, and verify everything was tight. Everyone was given notice to minimize a possible disaster due to my concerns with the angle of attack of the wings, and off I went.

The first flight was uneventful. Takeoff was straight and I had the trims set close to the final settings so no dramatics trying to trim it out. The first 2 flights were with the 11x7 prop turning 10000 rpm. Later flight was with a 12x6 prop turning 9600 rpm. The 12x6 flew better and pulled the plane well. The weight of the plane was noticeable in climbing and landing. Landing are a bit fast as getting too slow, the plane just decides to stop flying and come down. Stalls are nothing dramatic, just noses over and rolls slightly to the left. The stall does not telegraph itself in advance, the plane just stops flying and noses down. If I could find a way to drop 12 ounces of weight, it would be an excellent flyer. As it is, it is just good.

This evening, I took some time to see what I could do to trim some of the weight added to balance the plane. I moved the battery forward as far as possible given the available space. This would mean rebuilding the firewall and motor mount. I took out the pilots, and everything else I could get to. No real change in total weight. The best I could possibly hope for was a reduction of 4 oz. That means the flying weight can not be less than 7.5 lbs, about 11 oz over factory spec. Of course I could add a heavier motor, bigger battery, etc. but the total weight wouldn't change. I have not done any changes to CG yet, but I know I can move it back a little. This will drop an ounce or two of weight but not enough to change how the plane flies.

I did try a little experiment this evening to see just how little weight the plane could be and still balance. I took off all of my ballast, battery removed, any extra weight that was easy to get to was taken out, and then balanced the plane by hanging weight from the prop shaft opening in the cowl. Literally as far forward as possible without using magic. The best I could manage was a weight of about 3200g. Any way I could slice it, the plane would be about 8 ounces over spec. If anyone out there has managed to hit anywhere near the 3000g target weight and still have a flying plane, my hats off to you. I don't see any way for me to get there. The best I think I could achieve by doing a complete redesign of the airframe is 3300g and that is a big stretch. If I wanted to build a kit or do a kit bash, I would not have bought an ARF.

Now, this is my experience with this specific ARF. It may not be typical, but it should provide at least some insight on what to expect. Good luck with your projects and safe flying.
                                      Last edited by RonF; Jun 6, 2020, 07:49 PM. Reason: Just updated some of the wording, no real change to content

Comment

Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post
                                        Kind of wish there was a plug and play option on the VQ/Nexa planes.
                                        That's something rarely seen with balsa ARFs in general. I think it'd be super convenient, but suspect the perceived "sticker shock" for the customers is a major deterrent for manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X