You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun, I used a fish scale to weigh my plane. With battery installed and ready to fly, it weighs very close to 7.5 pounds, which is approximately 3,402 grams.

I'm using a Suppo 4120 motor and Turnigy HD 6S, 3000 mAh battery. The battery is placed full forward, against the firewall. The Hobbywing 80 amp ESC is secured to the motor mount / firewall bolts. I used Corona DS-329MG servos for all control surfaces.

I did not need to add any mass to the plane to achieve the recommended CoG. My plane flys very good and does not exhibit any strange tendencies. It will perform any maneuver I dare to attempt and slows nicely for landing.

I'll do my best to make a video next time I visit the flying field.

Comment

Originally posted by CF-105 View Post

That's something rarely seen with balsa ARFs in general. I think it'd be super convenient, but suspect the perceived "sticker shock" for the customers is a major deterrent for manufacturers.
      Probably true or you will get mystery lowest price threshold components. Or worse,...high price and cheap components.

I haven’t built my VQ P47 yet but I did buy all hitech servos from servo city. They weren’t giving them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rentaroo View Post
        Just for fun, I used a fish scale to weigh my plane. With battery installed and ready to fly, it weighs very close to 7.5 pounds, which is approximately 3,402 grams.
        I'm glad to see that my 3550g weight was not completely out of bounds. After posting my last bit of "rant", I looked closer at what I could do to lighten the Moth. I found a couple of mini servos in my spares box and they would fit the area directly behind the battery. They have similar torque so no issues there. So, I removed the 50g servos, added the 25g servos, AND moved the servos 6" forward. Total reduction in weight was 110g which puts me about 3400g or 7.5 lbs. This should be a noticeable improvement.

Things are looking better.

By the way Rentaroo, the 6S option is the way to go. I don't use smaller 6S batteries and did not want to go there for one plane, thus the 4S setup. Given different circumstances, your setup would be very close to what I'd picked.

Comment

Excited to get assembling this one. I will update when I get to the CG portion. But reading these posts, I will probably try to cut out the firewall to get my batteries further forward

Comment

Hey James! I see they sent you yellow wheel covers for the Cambridge Flying Club version, instead of silver. At least the covers have the DH logo and not CUB, like some other folks have received.

What battery are you planning to use?

- Louis

Comment

Hey James! I see they sent you yellow wheel covers for the Cambridge Flying Club version, instead of silver. At least the covers have the DH logo and not CUB, like some other folks have received.

What battery are you planning to use?

- Louis
              Yeah, I didn't realize those covers aren't in all the kits?

I am setting mine up with the recommended parts on the product page, so a 5000mAh 4s is what my intention is.

Comment

I'm getting towards the end of putting together my Cambridge version and hope to maiden next weekend. The rigging was modified some to allow the use of turnbuckles I ordered from I don't know where many years ago- it's nice to be able to adjust the tension on each wire separately. I ground down the oversize L brackets and also cut down the wing struts and center braces to a size I thought looked better. I stole a roll of beading wire from my wife's stash and used that instead of the supplied stuff- the .76mm, 49 strand (really!) beading wire is very flexible and much easier to work with.
                The battery box modification has allowed the plane to balance properly (barely) with a 5600 4s (564g) all the way forward. I've yet to decide how to secure the battery as so little is left in the fuselage the usual velcro straps would be hard to manipulate. I'm leaning towards a sliding piece of wood and thumbscrew in the firewall to push down on the battery but not sure- any recommendations are welcome.
                Tom Click image for larger version

Name:	20200606_093720.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	259834Click image for larger version

Name:	20200606_114302.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	259835Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_155926.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	259836Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_160109.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	259837Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_160012.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	259838Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_155906.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	259839Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_160023.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	259840

Comment

Here is a short video of mine. Really happy with how it flys. Info about set-up is in video description.

Comment

Just curious - the recommended motor GP 5 4220-770kv from Motion RC is rated for models between about 3.5 and 6 pounds on their site. Do you think it is OK for this model which seems to be coming in heavier than that?

Comment

Originally posted by bob_stan View Post
                      Just curious - the recommended motor GP 5 4220-770kv from Motion RC is rated for models between about 3.5 and 6 pounds on their site. Do you think it is OK for this model which seems to be coming in heavier than that?
                      I think that motor will have sufficient power to fly the model. However, the motor does not have a lot of mass, so I also think you will either need to use a large 4S battery, design a way to secure a smaller battery forward of the firewall, or add weight in order to obtain the recommended CoG.

The Suppo motor I use is close to 300 grams with the prop adaptor. The Admiral motor is about 215 grams. That may not seem like much, but it makes a big difference with a short-nosed plane.

The battery I use is about 522 grams. I place the battery as far forward as possible. With this configuration, I did not need to add any weight or modify the airframe to achieve the recommended CoG.

Comment

Got my Tiger Moth completed! I did go with the recommended setup and hit the CG issue, but I nailed it.

I am using the 5000mAh Admiral which is recommended, so all I did was cut the middle of the nose wall to fit the pack perfectly and added a shelf on the motor mount along with a shelf in the hatch. For the shelf in the hatch, I used 6 4-inch pieces of paint sticks glued together and it fits like a glove.

I may need a tad bit of weight, but I am right there at the 112mm CG mark.

Comment

Good luck on the maiden. It's good to see the "wood worker" side of you coming out.

Pogo Nice work!

Comment

Looks good James. Maiden on Wednesday?

Comment

I like Tigers but just don't like the tail on that one. It is too flat and bland for a Tiger. No character at all. For that reason I wouldn't buy it.

Comment

James.. missed the live show today. I saw you were balancing the plane.

I looked at my CoG measurement again. My CoG is set at 143 mm from the leading edge of the upper wing / fuel tank. This puts it right about in the middle of the front seat.

This seemed very far aft from the recommended CoG in the manual, but after talking with Andy at the field (he has many biplanes from this era of aviation) and a few guys on other forums I gave it a try.

Flys nice. This balance point makes sense if you think about the full scale bird and why a solo pilot sits in the rear seat to help balance the fuel carried in the wing tank.

Comment

Well the un boxing of my Tiger Moth British Camo was done yesterday, this is my first Balsa plane and what a plane it is, very well built, and very sexy.
                                  I still trying to hunt down the servos I the UK, but I am sure I will get in the end.

I have decided to go with a IC engine, and have been told that a Four Stroke would be great.

would the Saito FA-62B be a good option? Any thoughts.

thank you in advance

Chris

Comment

James.. missed the live show today. I saw you were balancing the plane.

I looked at my CoG measurement again. My CoG is set at 145mm from the leading edge of the upper wing / fuel tank. This puts it right about in the middle of the front seat.

This seemed very far aft from the recommended CoG in the manual, but after talking with Andy at the field (he has many biplanes from this era of aviation) and a few guys on other forums I gave it a try.

Flys nice. This balance point makes sense if you think about the full scale bird and why a solo pilot sits in the rear seat to help balance the fuel carried in the wing tank.
                                    Rentaroo, that is interesting. To be clear, you were initially flying at the recommended CG (around 110mm) and have since moved it back to 130- is that correct? I ask as I haven't seen anyone using a CG that far back- could you post a link to the other forums where this is discussed?
                                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post

Rentaroo, that is interesting. To be clear, you were initially flying at the recommended CG (around 110mm) and have since moved it back to 130- is that correct? I ask as I haven't seen anyone using a CG that far back- could you post a link to the other forums where this is discussed?
                                      Tom
                                      Hello,

I have always flown at the 143 mm CoG mark. I didn't realize the manual recommendation was different until I checked yesterday. RC Groups has a large thread about this plane. I also chose this point based on advice from a fellow club member.

I'll take a picture later and post here for visual reference.

Comment

Here are two pictures of my CoG location. It is actually closer to 143 mm, given the offset of the measuring scale.

My son held a straightedge along the leading edge of the fuel tank so I could measure the point on the upper wing better.

My plane flys well using this as the balance point. It flys inverted as well with no issues.

Comment

Rentaroo, I just re-read the RCG thread and there's no mention of anyone flying their Moth at anywhere near the CG you are, but it's nice to know the model is tolerant of such a wide range for the balance point. Me, I'm going to start at ~115mm and slowly work back.
                                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                                          X