You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rentaroo That's a very simular physical CG location that my wife's Hangar 9 1/4 scale Tiger Moth has.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
      Rentaroo, I just re-read the RCG thread and there's no mention of anyone flying their Moth at anywhere near the CG you are, but it's nice to know the model is tolerant of such a wide range for the balance point. Me, I'm going to start at ~115mm and slowly work back.
      Tom
      This is likely the safest decision to make. I also felt it would be too far back, but gave it a chance. Flys very good, so I'm happy :)

Comment

Originally posted by Rentaroo View Post

This is likely the safest decision to make. I also felt it would be too far back, but gave it a chance. Flys very good, so I'm happy :)
        I just found this, photos of a 1/3 scale being balanced at the trailing edge of the fuel tank, which apparently is the CG location of the full-size. Yours is actually quite conservative!
        Tom
        Attached Files

Comment

Not quite ready to fly yet but my Moth saw the light of day yesterday for a little photo session. Cosmetically, the whole thing (but for the cowl) was sprayed with a clear coat and the black bits painted to break up all the yellow a little. I had made the windshields for the Moth this one is replacing so swapping them over was quick- seat backs were made from foam and the instrument panels stained and varnished and epoxy on the instruments simulates glass.
          The landing gear received a makeover for scale appearance and "sprung" bracing was added to keep the gear from spreading outwards, as the full size have. This was made from ~2.5mm piano wire that goes into holes drilled in the metal blocks at the wheels and the wood blocks in the fuse the main wires also go into. O-ring material is wrapped around and crimped where the pieces meet, providing some spring. Drinking straws were used to thicken them up and although it seems cheesy it's light and actually looks pretty good. I replaced the plastic airfoil shapes with balsa and the front gear wire is covered with airfoil shaped aluminum I had on hand.
          I've never used a wood prop before- this one came from Falcon and arrived perfectly balanced (!). A wattmeter run yesterday yielded about 800 watts and 52 amps peak so should be enough juice- the prop is 13x8 and I hope I don't break it.
          Tom
          Attached Files

Comment

I discovered something cool today while finalizing battery placement.. The back hole in the rib in the fuel tank is located about 115mm back of the leading edge, right where I want to set the initial CoG. Super easy (and accurate) to hang the model from a line- beats fingers!
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

I maidened mine plus 2 more flights a couple of days ago and it couldn't have gone better. The ground handling was really good with no tendency to nose over on the longish grass at our field , even without full up elevator held in when taxiing. The modified landing gear soaked up the bumps nicely without splaying outwards, the added bracing doing it's job.
              The first flight only required a few clicks of trim in roll and pitch and there she was, flying like a Tiger Moth! Although there have been many reports of this model flying well I was still dubious about it's weight- every time I picked it up when putting it together I thought "man, this thing is heavy!" And at 7.5 lbs., it is- VQ has built this like a proverbial brick s**t house but fortunately it didn't feel heavy in the air at all. It took off and landed slowly and Tiger Moth style aerobatics were easy and scale looking. Just a delight to fly!
              The Eflite 32 motor spinning a 13x8 prop was good powerwise and the model cruised around a bit under half throttle and would loop willingly. The initial flight of 5 minutes left 70% (!) in the 4S 5000 battery so my timer was adjusted accordingly. One thing though, the motor was hotter than I liked so I've spaced the cowl sides out a bit and put a vent opening in the front cockpit, all to get air moving through better.
              i don't know how they came up with the aileron and elevator throws in the manual of 10mm but mine were 22 and 37mm respectively and I've since increased aileron throw to 27 up and still 50% down using differential. CG is about 120mm.
              Now that she's certified airworthy a student pilot has been added (the figure out of my deceased Moth). He's a bit on the small side but I'll just go with him being a short guy, lol.
              Tom
              Attached Files

Comment

The moment the CA glue sets......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 20.26.49.png
Views:	1049
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	263441
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok that's better, dremel tool to the rescues now have to wait for the hinges to arrive.

k Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6165.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	263643
                  Attached Files

Comment

DadsRcHangar That's more like it. Now even the camo pattern matches. I think most of us that have been doing this for awhile have done something simular. Cheers!

Comment

Has anyone installed a IC engine at all, the instructions do not say if the Engine is center or not. From the instructions, it looks like the electric engine and over to one side. If this is the same what measurements do I go by ?

thanks

Chris

Comment

Same question as DadsRCHanger only for electric. The centering marks on the firewall are not on center. If I mount the motor per the instructions it will be off to the left looking from cockpit forward. If this is correct doesn't the cowl not line up properly? Or do you adjust the motor standoff bolts to recenter the prop drive therefore giving it right and down thrust? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but this is only the second balsa ARF that I have started on.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Sounds like they've built the down & right into the firewall, a common practice with balsa ARFs. They then have you offset the motor to the left slightly so that when the cowl is installed, the prop hub is centered.

Comment

I Went to my Club field this morning and asked around about my question.CF-105 you are correct, by the time the motor is correctly spaced away from the firewall the prop thrust line will be centered with the correct thrust angles. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I painted the red checkerboards last weekend ( a great deal of masking tape was harmed in the process) and got some flights in this morning before the wind and heat came up. The more I fly this model the more I'm liking it... it's far from perfect but if you want a Moth in this size it's a lot of fun.
                              Tom
                              Attached Files

Comment

James its hard to tell from the [ic but do u have alot of down angle on the firewall? directions are very limited with the plane lol

Comment

has anyone found a prop nut that fits the 8mm shaft on the aadmial gp5 motor? i got one that is 8mm from tru turn and it turns a half a turn and stops like the threads are different ... it was the same one pogo is useing but i beleave his motor is different

Comment

Hi Ron, yes, mine has an Eflite 32 motor that came with a collet-type "prop adapter" (as they call it). Did your Admiral not come with a prop nut?
                                    Tom

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger moth.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	269273 yes the gp5 comes with a regular ol prop nut but have been looking for the type C spinner nut. true turn makes several but the thread pattern is unknown,,, i ordered the type C 8.01 for the 8 mm shaft bu tthe thread pattern is for a much finner thread then what comes on the gp5 motor...sooo i ordered the 8.025 type C prop nut that they said had a much looser thread...iam keeping my fingers crossed that it will fit the motor as they look so much better then a regular nut...also keeping the fingers crossed for the maiden when i get back to texas...thanks tom

Comment

Well, hopefully the coarser thread will work, but at least not a showstopper. Best of luck with the maiden Ron!
                                        Tom

Comment

Thanks buddy had to go to orlando mother in law is very sick. Maiden is put off for a while

Comment

Working...
                                          X