X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New E-flite Fw-190A, 1.5m

Those of us begging for a new larger Fw-190 now have an option with the new E-flite offering. The best part is that it appears to have a scale size and geometry landing gear to give it the correct look with the gear down. Single 6s power and looks to have very nice scale features like their new P-51D.
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?...n=01142021_AIR

Would have preferred a Dora but It’s a nice size.

The paint job is bloody awful. Polka dots, really?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EFL01350C_A03_DAYPXSW7.jpg?sw=800&sh=800&sm=fit.jpg
Views:	2601
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	294531
    Attached Files

Comment

I love it but unfortunately the australian horizon distributor has taken it upon themselves to slap another $250USD onto the local price ($750USD!). The sad thing being that they're the only brand with a retail presence here so people will snap them up because they dont know any better.

Comment

Yep, paint job is pretty hideous but they probably decided to save some production cost somewhere. The markings look a bit out of proportion as well. A new paint job is relatively easy and Luftwaffe schemes are always fun..

mshagg, that really blows.

Comment

I like that it is scale to the FlightLine Spitfire. FW-190 has a 34' wingspan so 7th scale is about 1480mm while the Spitfire has a 37' Wingspan and 7th scale is about 1610mm. Paint it, weather it and enjoy it

Comment

Gilatrout The first thing I thought was that Disney made a Focke Wulf. 101 Fw's.

Comment

Oh yeah! This is what I’ve been wanting for some time now. Paint job is no worry, nothing some time with an airbrush wont fix to bring about an alternative scheme. I too love that the gear is looking right on this one.

Won’t be getting one straight away but certainly will at some point this year once I’ve saved the $ and this will keep my 1.6m Spitty company. Looks like they’ve done a nice job on it.

Cheers
              Kurt

Comment

The scheme is based on a real German fighter based on a full-scale replica once owned by the late Rudy Frasca. Painted with the wartime markings of Austrian Luftwaffe pilot Oskar Bosch, the replica has been flown in west coast airshows and at the National Air Races in Reno.

Comment

We know, but the spots are just badly done.

Name:	D16F7B81-3595-4EF9-BDD7-006A40653B0B.jpeg
Views:	2067
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	294605

Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post
                  The scheme is based on a real German fighter based on a full-scale replica once owned by the late Rudy Frasca. Painted with the wartime markings of Austrian Luftwaffe pilot Oskar Bosch, the replica has been flown in west coast airshows and at the National Air Races in Reno.

Comment

I preordered it. I have a really hard time passing up Luftwaffe birds. I’ve been really negative on EFlite warbirds for a couple of years. Their prices are out of line with the rest of the industry, and I don’t want to pay for SAFE-Select and SMART, because I’m not interested in using either. I do think that EFlite did a great job with the gear and cockpit. Sooooo many Fw-190 producers screw them up. Bad gear on a Fw-190 is an absolute deal breaker for me. EFlite got them right (as did FlightLine in their 1.1m Würger). My 1.6m Starmax 190 gear and canopy are pretty good, but I can’t keep the stupid gear working on it.

Like you guys, I think that the paint job is hideously ugly. They’re modeling a plane that doesn’t have WWII livery to start with, then they screwed that up. The fuselage grey is wrong. It looks sorta like RLM65, whereas the plane being modeled looks to be RLM02. And the green polka dots! Gimme a friggin break! What a friggin’ lazy attempt at mottling!!!

Even though I don’t like the price point of the EFilte 190, I’ve pre-ordered it and am still pretty excited about getting it. I will be repainting my Würger in Walter Nowotny’s JG-54 summer camo. Callie decals already ordered.

I’d originally planned to model Nowotny’s Weiss 8 winter camo, but decided against it because the JG-54 winter camo was white-wash over the summer camo, with the summer paint showing through, and I didn’t want the blasted polka dots showing through.

BTW, I had a similar issue with the Seagull 64” Bf-109 ARF having a hideously ugly green polka dot scheme. I just finished repainting it as Werner Mölders’ JG-53 Bf-109E-3 (1940, Battle of France, just before he (Moelders) was shot down and POW for a few months).

My tail markings are a bit off, but overall, I’m pretty happy with the final product.

---
                    Warbirder

Comment

BTW, I’m also disappointed that it isn’t a D-9 or a D-13. I think that HH/EFlite missed a great opportunity to bring a Dora onto the market. Jason Merkle (spelling?) claims that there isn’t enough interest in a D-9 to justify the tooling development. I think he’s nuts! I think that a nice D-9 or D-13 would like hot cakes.

Please, Mr. Alpha, please, please, please bring a nice Fw-190D-9 or D-13 to market, either foamy or ARF, so that we can prove Jason/HH wrong!!!
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

Yeah, it's funny, I felt like I've wanted a quality A model for quite some time. That I preferred the look of it over any other 190. But now that it will be available, I realize now, I actually like the look of D models way more. So I agree, a larger, quality, Dora would be an instant addition to my collection.

The Eflite FW overall looks of high quality, from what I can tell from the videos. And a good paint job will make it right. But I have to admit the price seems uglier than the dots.

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                          But I have to admit the price seems uglier than the dots.
                          Yep …… as soon as you tack the Eflite name to a FMS product you can tack on a Cnote to the consumer cost
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Name:	FW190.JPG
Views:	2385
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	294765

Name:	Focke Wulf 190A Walter Nowotny.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	294764

I've always wanted to do either one of these schemes. Creating the Walter Nowotny Winter Camo allows you to have a "white canvas" to work on. Once again, I can't believe that a manufacturer goes all the way through production; distribution and marketing only to present a "half baked" scheme for their overly expensive model. I was really hoping for a FlightLine version! It also appears from the videos out there, that the Eflite FW190 and P51 Mustang both need their wheels changed because they are bouncy on landing....

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Yep …… as soon as you tack the Eflite name to a FMS product you can tack on a Cnote to the consumer cost
                              ...and they are forcing their "special" overpriced ESC with all the telemetry that most of us don't care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post

...and they are forcing their "special" overpriced ESC with all the telemetry that most of us don't care about.
                                That telemetry is pretty nice. On my planes where I have it, I fly my battery instead of a timer. But even so, eflite is overcharging. HK just announced a similar sized FW190 at $200 less. The difference is not explained by adding a smart esc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

That telemetry is pretty nice. On my planes where I have it, I fly my battery instead of a timer. But even so, eflite is overcharging. HK just announced a similar sized FW190 at $200 less. The difference is not explained by adding a smart esc.
                                  I took a look online to see the HK announcement of a similar sized FW190 at $200 dollars less. I didn't see it. Are you talking about the 1600mm one they've had for the last few years? The 1600 is cheaper but it's not new. We're you thinking about the sad announcement of the "new release" of the 1320mm Avro Lancaster V3 perhaps? They haven't upped the size of it since the last one and now it's a "belly landing 4 motor bomber"....Wow...

Comment

I assumed the 1600... it has its issues so not really worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      I assumed the 1600... it has its issues so not really worth it to me.
                                      Seems to be a lot of that going around lately....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Name:	FW190.JPG
Views:	2385
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	294765

Name:	Focke Wulf 190A Walter Nowotny.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	294764

I've always wanted to do either one of these schemes. Creating the Walter Nowotny Winter Camo allows you to have a "white canvas" to work on. Once again, I can't believe that a manufacturer goes all the way through production; distribution and marketing only to present a "half baked" scheme for their overly expensive model. I was really hoping for a FlightLine version! It also appears from the videos out there, that the Eflite FW190 and P51 Mustang both need their wheels changed because they are bouncy on landing....
                                        What's the story on the Nowotny Weiss 8 that's in your photo? Is that one of yours? That is the Nowotny winter scheme that I was originally planning on doing. I think to do it accurately, the white should be a whitewash, with the undercolors seeping through to a degree. That's why I decided against doing a white Weiss 8 and will do a summer scheme instead. I don't want those friggin' round mottles peaking through. The Summer scheme will me more of a challenge anyway. Me likes a good painting challenge.

I can't remember if I've said it already, but I agree with you all on prices of EFlite airplanes. For several years now, I've felt that they're out of line high. They're incorporating SAFE and SMART technologies into all of their BNFs, which drives their price up. Then, I'm guessing, they're realizing how good their AS3X stabilization system is, and are jacking the prices up even farther. I've only bought EFlite UMXs over the last few years. I'd MUCH rather buy a Freewing or Flightline warbird/EDF, rather than a grossly overpriced EFlite warbird. With that said, though, I love FW-190s (both radial and lang nasen) so much that I couldn't resist. I've got the larger Starmax/HK 1.6m FW-190A-8, but it's components are so friggin' unreliable, that I can't get it in the air anymore. I am willing to shell out the highway-robbery price to get one. I'm hoping that it doesn't suffer from some of the QC issues that the EFlite 1.5m P-51 did. Why EFlite will produce a nice warbird, then copy the ugly paint scheme that has no pedigree back to WWII baffles me. I don't mind repainting though.. :-)
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                        X