X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
    The smart stuff is backwards compatible with generic equipment, but my bet would be when paired together (Rx and ESC) they switch to a serial data connection (after performing a handshake on power up) which allows for duplex communication of Rx signal and ESC telemetry over the single wire. Someone like Andy Kunz would probably be able to provide insights.

Its a chilling look at Horizons vision for the hobby. Their new batteries have even done away with balance connectors...
    ​​​​​
    I own one SMART battery (V1), which I purchased for use in the EFlite FW-190. I'm not impressed with it enough to buy any more. I am NOT going to buy any SMART LiPo chargers; so, I definitely won't be buying any V2 SMART batteries.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

I own one SMART battery (V1), which I purchased for use in the EFlite FW-190. I'm not impressed with it enough to buy any more. I am NOT going to buy any SMART LiPo chargers; so, I definitely won't be buying any V2 SMART batteries.
      Obviously experience varies, but I value them quite highly.

Not only am I able to fly the battery instead of the timer, I very much appreciate they will go.to storage voltage on their own. This greatly extends the life of the battery and reduces the chance a bad battery will cause the loss of the plane.

​I am a better steward of my batteries because of the information and smart tech

I have one that has several hundred cycles almost all in edfs. The IR is about 8 and the casing looks like new.

I've never had a.smart battery puff, and quite objectively they have lasted far longer for me than any other battery.

My batteries and storing my batteries is safer because of smart tech.

The smart chargers will also quite nicely charge any battery, and are quite powerful for the cost. If you like the ISDT chargers, then you have the same thing as the spektrum smart chargers.

​​​​​​As for losing the balance leads, I don't see the problem. It is an innovation that reduces the overall weight of the battery and isn't necessary when the ability to manage cell voltage is already integral in the design.

​​​​​Whether or not this tech becomes standard or not is uncertain. It's not perfect. However I'm really glad that at least someone is out there not only wondering how we can make the rc electric tech better, but also actually trying to do something about it.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Don’t get me wrong, I love battery telemetry. I use it as my primary gage for when it’s time to land. The timer is a backup. I don‘t need a SMART battery to get this though. Even the SMART FW-190 can be run with a non-SMART battery and will telemeter battery voltage (total voltage). On my DX9, only the total pack voltage can be enunciated. Individual cell voltages in flight are not of value to me because they can’t be enunciated, or I can’t have the lowest of the individual cells enunciated.

A JumperT16 OpenTX radio is my radio of choice, and I prefer FrSky X8R receivers and telemetry modules over Spekky. I need the balance ports for the FrSky voltage sensors to work. I’ll never give that up; so, I’ll never buy a V2 SMART battery. Plus, I don’t like that HH/Spekky is trying to change the charging game, where the end user has to buy equipment only from them. Proprietary 'Standards' suck.

I’m sure that the V2 SMART batteries are good batteries and the new balance-plug-less SMART chargers are good. Some of their added features are pretty intriguing. I just won’t be buying into it.
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

Obviously experience varies, but I value them quite highly.

Not only am I able to fly the battery instead of the timer, I very much appreciate they will go.to storage voltage on their own. This greatly extends the life of the battery and reduces the chance a bad battery will cause the loss of the plane.

​I am a better steward of my batteries because of the information and smart tech

I have one that has several hundred cycles almost all in edfs. The IR is about 8 and the casing looks like new.

I've never had a.smart battery puff, and quite objectively they have lasted far longer for me than any other battery.

My batteries and storing my batteries is safer because of smart tech.

The smart chargers will also quite nicely charge any battery, and are quite powerful for the cost. If you like the ISDT chargers, then you have the same thing as the spektrum smart chargers.

​​​​​​As for losing the balance leads, I don't see the problem. It is an innovation that reduces the overall weight of the battery and isn't necessary when the ability to manage cell voltage is already integral in the design.

​​​​​Whether or not this tech becomes standard or not is uncertain. It's not perfect. However I'm really glad that at least someone is out there not only wondering how we can make the rc electric tech better, but also actually trying to do something about it.

​​​​​​
          Just wanted to put this out there. The new G2 smart batteries do not weigh less because of the loss of the balance lead. The batteries actually weigh more because of a built in / internal chip that does the balancing. The G2 batteries on average are 30-50grams more than the version 1 smart batteries.

Comment

• Perhaps a little off topic but if they wanted to make the hobby better they wouldn't be going down the path of proprietary and closed source solutions. Horizon is looking out for horizon here.

Given the 100C 6S 5000 packs cost an eye watering $330AUD here ($255USD) and can't successfully pass a 35C test, I'm glad I don't have to buy into that ecosystem (yet lol).

Comment

• Yes, like replacing all the guages in my car with idiot lights. Or like where our country is going by outlawing gas powered cars. Sure it works and is simpler but the old way works better for me.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	F23D27F8-FA94-4110-95D1-A152C957E8B5.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	304918Click image for larger version

Name:	00B4D85F-6E93-495D-9831-FEC31285E191.jpeg
Views:	721
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	304919Click image for larger version

Name:	1C56F835-88A1-430F-8002-78405C6DB64D.jpeg
Views:	700
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	304920Click image for larger version

Name:	FD7D1DBF-3F05-4235-83D0-FAF57112DCB9.jpeg
Views:	721
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	304917Click image for larger version

Name:	9775333A-DDEE-4F3E-A4A1-7E845E6EC452.jpeg
Views:	725
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	304915Click image for larger version

Name:	485210E2-C847-4649-A452-D6669104A897.jpeg
Views:	707
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	304916 I am pretty much done. It looks more like a warbird now!
                Tolga
                Instagram: @_t01ga_
                YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Great job Tolga.
                  I thought about complete repainting too. But decided to work with what I got and just improved the polka dots. But yours look really awesome 😙
                  Here is my result:

Comment

• Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                    Great job Tolga.
                    I thought about complete repainting too. But decided to work with what I got and just improved the polka dots. But yours look really awesome 😙
                    Here is my result:
                    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/special/...ring-and-sound
                    Hi Lenny, it is no doubt that it is a very much improved look compare to stock and the weathering looks nice.
                    Tolga

Comment

• Awsome job lenny and tolga not sure whats next the mustang or this fw

Comment

• Hey Tolga, what tape did you use, great job.

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                          Awsome job lenny and tolga not sure whats next the mustang or this fw
                          Thanks mate, appreciate that. It was an easy decision for me as I don't like the Mustang ( I know I am the odd one out). But in terms of more scale details and the plastic edging around the battery bay should be a consideration.
                          Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
                            Hey Tolga, what tape did you use, great job.
                            Thanks man. I use 6 and 10mm Tamiya masking tape.
                            Tolga

Comment

• Played around with mine on a grass field today. The ground handling on grass was so much better. It was like it was a different plane.

Comment

• I've only flown mine on grass. It'll still ground loop, if I'm not careful, especially on landing, if I try to turn before it's slowed down enough.

Today, I took my Weisse 5 to the field and sortied her 5 or 6 times. I think that I have finally figured how she wants to be landed. I had been trying to 3-point her and/or pin her tail immediately after landing. I figured out today, that I have the best luck if I DO NOT give her Up E as I'm touching down. That nose-high attitude seems to make her more prone for an ugly bounce. What I discovered today is that she really likes to be wheels-landed with the tail horizontal. Get her leveled off and reduce throttle, to let her settle in. Don't try to flare her for touchdown and don't pin the tail after landing. Keep the tail level and let it drop naturally, just don't let the tail rise any more. I shot tons of T-n-Gs today and only had one ugly bounce, and that one was a badly botched short-final approach. I hit a bunch of greasers, a few small skips (but not bad at all), and only one bad bounce (and I powered up and flew out of it). I do wish that this 190 was more forgiving on landings, but if you figure out how she wants to be landed, she can be landed without ugly bounces.
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

• I fly that big FW 190 on RF 9.5 and that's exactly how I land it. Keep her horizontal with a steady low throttle, and she will settle down on the mains smoothly.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DAF59F5B-8827-48A2-A718-84610E2AA704.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	306051Click image for larger version

Name:	270AD9DD-EA5A-40C6-948E-E8F159DE1A71.jpeg
Views:	597
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	306050Click image for larger version

Name:	4D78813A-83E6-4511-971C-E638A38CFC2A.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	306049Click image for larger version

Name:	F737171D-3E66-4EB9-B6DB-43150238DC14.jpeg
Views:	608
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	306048Click image for larger version

Name:	04D812E3-AC41-45AE-8EC1-D1EBC75DE111.jpeg
Views:	607
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	306047Click image for larger version

Name:	BFF22BD6-2C6B-4838-B7E1-7A72024E645F.jpeg
Views:	618
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	306045Click image for larger version

Name:	32210D43-4513-4951-88BB-D5E5B09B8293.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	306046 Cockpit mod coming along nicely.
                                    Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
                                      ] Cockpit mod coming along nicely.
                                      TG, Absolutely brilliant. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TG, Absolutely brilliant. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                        Thank you, appreciate it!
                                        Tolga

Comment

• t01ga Is that 3d printed?
                                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X