X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyshark 1/9th Scale TBM Avenger Build

As a youngster many years ago I would go down to the local Toy Shop and get a plastic model to build. One of my favorites was a Monogram TBF Avenger kit. I still remember it some 50+ years later. Well I got to know Mark from Heritage, they were the ones who originally kitted the Avenger years back when he lived in Horizon City,Texas. I liked what I saw back then and wanted one. When Mike at Skyshark picked up the line from Mark I ordered a kit. At the time I had way to many projects and a gentleman offered me a fair price so I parted with it. Parting with it has nagged at me for about 10 years. So I'm finally doing the build. I've sorted though the box and I'm really impressed with what Shyshark has done. From the plans to the wood selection and laser cutting this is a first class kit. I hope I can do it justice.

I'd like it to be something different so I'm leaning to the North Atlantic scheme. Lenny at shindin machine still does the struts that will fit Robart gear so that one major obstacle out of the way. Power is to be determined but I have not ruled out electric power. Pilots are a big issue and the hunt is on for something that will look right as there is just too much canopy to leave empty.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Everything is packaged great. The cowl and canopy look terrific.
    Mike

Comment

Mike, looks like its going to be a fun build to follow. I have been being spoiled by PNP Foamies for awhile now and have been thinking about doing a kit build again. Look forward to your build... DJ
      FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
      DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
      Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
      J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Subscribed!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

What an outstanding idea for a build! Me and Diane had the privilege of checking out the Commemorative Air force TBF at Wings and Wheels a couple of years ago. Quite a neat plane, got some good detail shots if you need them.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

That is a beautiful plane. My dad flew those during WWII. It was one of his favorite a/c. His favorite was the PBY Catalina. It's the one he told the most stories about. Looking forward to more pictures and a flight video. BTW, the torpedo bay would be a great place to store the battery. :D

Comment

I will be following this build. :)

The first Grumman Avenger I ever built was the Lindberg 1/48 Motorized Plastic Model. Great memories!

Comment

Got the ailerons and elevators farmed. The struts should be in next week so I can work on the center section. Things will be a little slow till everything shows up.

Comment

Farmed out or formed up?

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Nice! Love those birds!
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

maybe framed up ;)
                      FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                      DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                      Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                      J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Damn spellcheck.

Mike

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the pilots from Century Jet? They see to be the only ones who have a 1/9th scale pilot. This project has to have at least a pilot.

Thanks
                          MIke

Comment

Mike, I've had a couple pilot figures from Century Jet over the years. They're a bit pricey, but they are easy to paint, relatively lightweight considering they're full body instead of busts, and as far as I'm aware are made in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                              Mike, I've had a couple pilot figures from Century Jet over the years. They're a bit pricey, but they are easy to paint, relatively lightweight considering they're full body instead of busts, and as far as I'm aware are made in the USA.
                              Thanks I ordered the full body for the drivers seat and we'll see how that goes.

Mike

Comment

Got a bit done today. The horizontal is done and the center section is up next. My retracts showed up (still waiting on the struts).

Mike

Comment

Lookin good! :)

Comment

Where are you getting your struts?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      Where are you getting your struts?
                                      Lenny @ Shindin machine.

Mike

Comment

The build is looking good. Looks like a great building space. That makes a huge difference in the final product.

Comment

Working...
                                        X