X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay - impressions so far.

Like some others have mentioned in reviews, I had an issue with the stock LiPo charger that came with the RTF version. What I found is that the power cord does not make good connection to the power supply for the charger. I can make the charger work simply by pulling the power cord to the side and using a Velcro strap to secure it with some side tension on the connection to the supply. Based on my 40 years experience in electronics, I'd say the fit between the sockets in the cord and the pins in the supply is sloppy, and the side tension makes sure the pins are touching the sockets. I also found that this charger does not work just like my 3S chargers that came with my previous planes, and does not charge through the 5 pin balanced connector. Being silly, I looked up the instructions, which indicate that both the balance connector AND the main power connector must be connected to the charger for it to work. I wonder how many of the people who posted in reviews that their charger didn't work, assumed, like I first did, that all they needed was the balance connector?

I need to measure, but looking at the motor shaft, it appears to be slightly offset from straight in-line with the plane's centerline. Is it supposed to be this way? Or is this a manufacturing defect? If it should be straight in-line with the plane's centerline, I should be able to take the screws out, and adjust it, even if I need to add a shim to one side.

I opened three gaps between the bottom four cylinders in the engine façade. I'm not sure if the actual plane this model follows had an upgraded engine option, but the model has a 9 cylinder radial façade, while the Waco Aircraft Company website lists the Jacobs 7 cylinder radial as stock for these planes. I found a nice online photo of a Jacobs radial, and painted the engine façade to resemble the real thing - at least, as much as the plastic model piece can resemble it.

I'm debating whether to use the included radio system, or swap it over to the 6 channel receiver I bought that will bind with my Tactic 6 channel transmitter.

My current plan is to do some customization on the decoration of my Waco, so I'll likely be taking my time getting it put together.

WVRailfan, that prop looks fantastic. I hope that film holds up well!

Comment

• On the prop orientation, leave it as is, they are designed to have a slightly right and down angle to help combat thrust/torque effects in yaw and climb. If you even it, the plane will need alot more rudder input to keep straight than you would like.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        On the prop orientation, leave it as is, they are designed to have a slightly right and down angle to help combat thrust/torque effects in yaw and climb. If you even it, the plane will need alot more rudder input to keep straight than you would like.
        That's what I was wondering. Thanks!

Comment

• Not sure I'm totally happy with the paint job yet, but I still like it better than the plain black Dynam used on the engine piece.

Comment

• That looks good to me

Comment

• Next project was taking a fine wet-or-dry sandpaper to the metal cabanes that attach the upper wing to the fuselage. The edges of these two pieces were still rough from the cut process, and a little work with the sandpaper took that sharp ridge away. I'm painting them black before the assembly process, along with painting silver and red bands on the prop tips.

What can I say? I just really like the looks of that contrasting prop-arc when the prop is spinning.

I'm also working on my pilot figure, who I'll reveal when this project is complete.

Comment

• Heck yeah! I like that

Comment

• Anyone have an idea why there are what appears to be screw holes in the middle of each leg of the outer wing struts?

Biggest Factory "oops" so far is they had the servos for the rudder and elevator switched on the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                    Not sure I'm totally happy with the paint job yet, but I still like it better than the plain black Dynam used on the engine piece.
                    Looks good to me Hoomi!
                    Still Learning:D

Comment

• Quick question - I'm planning on adding a small mark on the underside of each side of the top wing for CG. Have those of you with the Dynam Waco found the 70 - 75 mm back from the leading edge of the top wing, per Dynam's instructions, to be a good CG?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                        Quick question - I'm planning on adding a small mark on the underside of each side of the top wing for CG. Have those of you with the Dynam Waco found the 70 - 75 mm back from the leading edge of the top wing, per Dynam's instructions, to be a good CG?
                        That range is appropriate ;)
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks. With as poor as the Dynam instructions are, and the fact that some of the illustrations appear to be from earlier versions of the aircraft, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Better to ask the dumb question, than to ask AFTER the plane crashes, and have someone say, "Oh, yeah. The instructions have the wrong value for the CG."

Comment

• Another inadequacy with the Dynam instructions - the LED lights. The plane came complete with a small module that has two outputs, one for steady on lights, and another for flashing. The input line to this module is the standard connector that fits a receiver output channel. Hooking it to channel 5 of the receiver, the lights work, but switching the channel 5 control on the transmitter has no effect. Does the transmitter or receiver need to be specifically configured for the on-off function of this switch? Or did I connect this incorrectly? I oriented the color code of the wires to match the servo connections on the receiver.

It's almost like Dynam added the lights as an afterthought, and forgot to update the instructions to include them The wiring for the upper wing lights has a small hole by the rear cabane mounting on the fuselage for the wires to pass through, but the hole is not large enough for the pre-attached connecter. Fortunately, I've dealt with this style of connector many times in my professional career, so it was no big deal to release the pins from the plastic connector housing, and then pass them through the hole in the fuselage one at a time, and then reinserting them into the connector inside the plane. I have the wingtip lights on the upper wing steady on, with the forward facing lights on the lower wing flashing (I expected the lower wing lights to be white LED for landing lights, but they're red like marker lights).

Dynam may produce nice airplanes, but they have a lot to learn on how to write instruction manuals.

Comment

• They aren't designed to shut off. For that you need a remote switch connected in between the lights and receiver.
                              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Indeed

Comment

• Hoomi it'll be fine Throw the 4 cell all the way forward and let her eat !!!! It's a fun flyer and easy to see in the air . I'm using a 2200 and at 5 mins I bring it in

Bryan

But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• So far, even with the pilot figure placed in the cockpit (though not secured yet), it seems to balance pretty darned close to the recommended CG. Still need to do the rigging, and discuss my decals with the wife a bit more. I might end up seeing how much it would be to get custom decals from Callie, since she can do a lot more with her set-up than my wife can do with her Cricut, and the Better Half isn't sure how well the vinyl she has will stick to the EPO foam.

I picked up some white ribbon for the pilot's scarf, and some metallic elastic cord to use for the tail rigging.

Comment

• No offence to your wife Hoomi, but Callie is not expensive and her decals are made for foamies.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                                        No offence to your wife Hoomi, but Callie is not expensive and her decals are made for foamies.
                                        No offense taken. When I first started thinking of custom decals, I didn't know about Callie yet.

Comment

• I finished the pilot today and he's at the controls in the cockpit, ready to go. The riggings on the tail and one wing are done, and I'm real happy with how the wing rigging came out.

I sent an email to Callie inquiring on the decals, but since their business hours are Monday through Friday, I don't expect to hear back over the weekend.

This plane hasn't flown yet, and I've already been having a lot of fun with it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X