Clear All

• Official Nexa 2060mm SBD-5 Dauntless Discussion Thread

Nexa SBD-5 Dauntless 2060mm (81") Wingspan - ARF

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2797
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	280694

The Douglas SBD Dauntless is a World War II American naval scout plane and dive bomber that was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft from 1940 through 1944. The SBD ("Scout Bomber Douglas") was the United States Navy's main carrier-based scout/dive bomber from mid-1940 through mid-1944. The SBD was also flown by the United States Marine Corps, both from land air bases and aircraft carriers. The SBD is best remembered as the bomber that delivered the fatal blows to the Japanese carriers at the Battle of Midway in June 1942. The type earned its nickname "Slow But Deadly" (from its SBD initials) during this period.

The Nexa SBD-5 Dauntless is a .26 – .33 size electric or gas option scale series warbird with a 2060mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes flaps, painted pilot, machine gun, antenna and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. To complete the scale appeal of this beautiful Dauntless, the model includes electric retracts and scale struts. Impress at your flying field with this iconic stunner!

Visit the Official Nexa SBD-5 Dauntless 2060mm ARF Product Page here: https://www.motionrc.com/products/ne...ess-2060mm-arf
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa SBD-5 comes fully covered including simulated panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and weathering detail.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this SBD-5 including functional and distinctive perforated split flaps, antenna, machine guns, painted pilot, electric retracts and metal main struts.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully prehinged and installed for your convenience.
    Center-Mounted Bomb and Wing Pylons

To add to the array of scale detail, the Nexa SBD-5 includes a center-mounted bomb and wing pylons.
    FEATURES:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including weathering, functional perforated split flaps, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • The hand-painted pilots are ready for your added cockpit details
    • Center-mounted bomb and wing-mounted pylons for added scale detail
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Flaps, antenna, guns and more complete the fantastic scale appeal
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa SBD-5 Dauntless 2060mm (81") Wingspan - ARF
    • Electric retracts, wheels and struts
    • Fuel tank, hardware and servo trays

Nice looking bird!

There is an error in the first line of the 2nd paragraph on the write-up. There is no way this plane is going to fly on a .25-.33 size engine or motor. I suspect it was supposed to read 20cc-33cc?

I am wondering what changes Motion may have incorporated into the model? I know the later VQ version as sold by Legend updated the landing gear so the wheels were on the "correct" side of the strut. The photos seem to show the "non-scale" arrangement. Is the canopy one-piece, or does it come as shown in the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by CF-105 View Post
      Nice looking bird!

There is an error in the first line of the 2nd paragraph on the write-up. There is no way this plane is going to fly on a .25-.33 size engine or motor. I suspect it was supposed to read 20cc-33cc?

I am wondering what changes Motion may have incorporated into the model? I know the later VQ version as sold by Legend updated the landing gear so the wheels were on the "correct" side of the strut. The photos seem to show the "non-scale" arrangement. Is the canopy one-piece, or does it come as shown in the pics?
      The manual shows the mains in the scale position.
      Best regards,
      Cris B.
      AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
      NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Hello. Can't find too much info out there on this plane. Curious to hear from other owners how they feel about this plane. Wondering what the ideal engine is. Will a DA35 or DLE35ra fit inside the cowl? Any other info would be great. Thank you!!

Comment

Hi, does anyone have the cowling interior diameter for this bird?

Comment

Has anyone installed the suggested Admiral GP-26-6330-245kv Brushless motor in the SBD? I need to know how long to make the motor mount standoffs.

Comment

I have one coming with the recommended running gear including that motor. I can let you know probably early next week if you can wait that long.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                  I have one coming with the recommended running gear including that motor. I can let you know probably early next week if you can wait that long.
                  RCjetdude
                  I'll definitely be looking forward to your adventure on this one Steve.
                  I remember years back when I first met ya @ NEFI how you were basically the "JetDude" to us with prior swashplate experience.
                  Then I occasionally peeked at the venture as of late into the bubblehead world.
                  Glad to see ya come full circle...…… these WW2 birds are special and the Dauntless was an unsung hero of the pacific.
                  I had the smaller VQ version of this and was recently eyeballing the big boy.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

RCjetdude
                    I'll definitely be looking forward to your adventure on this one Steve.
                    I remember years back when I first met ya @ NEFI how you were basically the "JetDude" to us with prior swashplate experience.
                    Then I occasionally peeked at the venture as of late into the bubblehead world.
                    Glad to see ya come full circle...…… these WW2 birds are special and the Dauntless was an unsung hero of the pacific.
                    I had the smaller VQ version of this and was recently eyeballing the big boy.
                    Yeah Charlie, I had to watch Midway again last night because of it. The Dauntless was such a key player in turning the tide of the battle in the Pacific and this Nexa offering is quite a looker you have to admit. I am excited to get it plus it's 81" wingspan will be better on my 57 year old eyes.

Comment

She's a beauty... Mine arrived today so here is a video of what was in the box and my first impressions. Hopefully the running gear will be here tomorrow.

Comment

Great video.Thanks
                        Mike

\"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I am liking this offering from Motion. However, due to its size, I will have to wait until I relocate to a bigger house in a couple of years! I hope they will be available then. The SBD is such a historical plane. I have the Freewing version and really like it. Thanks for bringing this plane to us, Motion!

Bob

Comment

RCjetdude,
                            Great plane and great video. I am a novice but I am currently building this model for my brother who has ALS so it's a challenge on several fronts. I have had a couple of questions and MotionRC has been very helpful and suggested that I join this group. For this post I just have a question for RCjetdude regarding your build. I have attached a photo of your prop shaft adaptor. I believe that you made the change from the stock shaft that comes with the Admiral GB26 so that you could use the 3 blade prop from the Corsair. Do you mind sharing the part numbers for this modification including the hub and three bladed prop? Thanks in advance.
                            Comer

Name:	3CCCE1F0-7BC9-40A3-9C11-F524AD0C0EFA.jpeg
Views:	1818
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	296211

Comment

Originally posted by Comer View Post
                              RCjetdude,
                              Great plane and great video. I am a novice but I am currently building this model for my brother who has ALS so it's a challenge on several fronts. I have had a couple of questions and MotionRC has been very helpful and suggested that I join this group. For this post I just have a question for RCjetdude regarding your build. I have attached a photo of your prop shaft adaptor. I believe that you made the change from the stock shaft that comes with the Admiral GB26 so that you could use the 3 blade prop from the Corsair. Do you mind sharing the part numbers for this modification including the hub and three bladed prop? Thanks in advance.
                              Comer

Click image for larger version  Name:	3CCCE1F0-7BC9-40A3-9C11-F524AD0C0EFA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	296211
                              First of all , welcome to HobbySquawk. You are correct. I modified the prop shaft that came with the GB26 motor by simply cutting the shaft off leaving about 1/8" of it. The diameter of the GB26 shaft fits perfectly in the back of the 1600mm Corsair prop adapter thus centering it. Then it is just a matter of drilling and tapping 4 holes to secure the Corsair prop shaft with M3 x 10 socket head cap screws. The parts I used were FLW3040910, P418120 and MO1505521. I weighed each blade and made them all weigh the same then balanced the prop. My aluminum standoffs ended up being 55mm long but that is with the extra 10mm thick base of the Corsair prop adapter.

Name:	20210122_164458_copy_1612x1209.jpg
Views:	2035
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	296323
                              I also found that Apple Barrel 20773E English Navy acrylic paint from Walmart is a darn near perfect match for the dark blue.

Name:	20210125_223916_copy_1612x1209.jpg
Views:	1967
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	296324

Comment

I'd like to see the smaller version of this to go with my hellcat. I just think that would be pretty cool to have.

Comment

Yeah, I would purchase the smaller version in the navy scheme in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    I'd like to see the smaller version of this to go with my hellcat. I just think that would be pretty cool to have.
                                    Hey RM..... since you're an Army vet the A-24 Banshee which is the Army version of the Navy SBD-5 is available in the smaller 60 inch version.
                                    https://www.motionrc.com/collections...hee-1540mm-arf

It does surprise me too that MRC isn't carrying the 1540mm(60inch) Navy version.
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yes indeed, I had been eyeing that one as well, but there's something about that navy blue scheme I just love.

Comment

When operating the air brakes and or flaps does the control surface on the center wing section operate with the flaps or the air brakes ? Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                                        X