Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like by watching the flite video above, I will be able to do my normal E-flite 1.2 mods 60amp ESC with a 4s4000 lipo..

Comment

Originally posted by TomC View Post
      looks like by watching the flite video above, I will be able to do my normal E-flite 1.2 mods 60amp ESC with a 4s4000 lipo..
      Is the extra weight worth it?

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Worth experimenting to find out...

It partly depends on your favorite flying style and prevailing wind conditions.
        around here wind can be a big factor. Its almost: "If you can't fly in wind you can't fly in Texas."

First flight of my first Dynam P-51 the wind owned it (OEM RTF package 2000 mah 3S) I just slid a second 2000 mah 3S in there, not even hooked up and it helped tons. I eventually ended up flying it mostly on 4S 3000 mah because the weight really helped (and the extra power is nice too)
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Very much worth it,,:Cool: with the high winds here in Texas..I have 3 other e flite planes with 60amp ESC and 4s 4000 lipos and they are a blast to fly in the winddy conditions, and even more fun on calm days..They drawl about 50 amps at full throttle at anywhere between 850-1000 watts, my timer is set for 6 mins and I will have 25 to 30% llipos charge after a flite of mostly full throttle...Mantis 65 amp ESC have been most efficient for me..Just my .02

Comment

Saw (and shot) my first local AT-6 today ... thanks Goosekiller!

Comment

Here's a few of mine.

Comment

That looks awesome Ryan. Love the details.

Comment

Flew mine several times weekend before last. Ran a 3s 3300 pushed all the way fwd. It needed a touch of down on the elevator. Otherwise it flew great. Only mod so far is I trimmed up the plastic gear leg and added larger Robart tires.

Comment

I'm finding moving a 2200 3S further back improves handling.

Mike
                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

And I've seen 4s work in this plane...

Comment

I’ll have to try both those tips...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                          Here's a few of mine.
                          Looks good Ryan, have to get some shots of the old and the new together.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                            And I've seen 4s work in this plane...
                            Has anyone actually flown the stock motor on a 4s with a bigger esc...?

I ran some amp tests.
                            On 3s it comes in at 41amp wot.
                            On 4s it eats a whopping 65amp wot.
                            The little 15 980kv motor takes a beating and anything past 45amp on 4s makes it really heat up rapidly.
                            At 55amp n up it’s cooking itself.

I’m skeptical that the stock motor and esc were used in the video.
                            If it is stock it’s likley burned up by now...

Comment

You are correct the factory E-flite ESC usually cuts out on me with WOT on my 4s 400 lipos, this is why I toss them as soon as I take the plane out of the box.. I have several E-flite planes, T-28, P51, P47 and ALL have been ungraded with the Mantis 65 amp ESC with 4 s 4000 lipos, all have the stock motors in them,I have probably 200+ throttle happy flites on them with NO motor issues. I do oil the motor bearing every three months, I like to fly fast...

here are my numbers with no motor problems with 200+ flites and still running strong...

T-28
                              51.98 Amps
                              847.2 Watts

P-51
                              53.58 Amps
                              825.1 Watts

P-47
                              53.71 Amps
                              836.8 Watts

These readings the t28 and p47 are running 11x7 APC 2 blade props and are rocket ships..lol.

Comment

I will be buying the At-6 real soon..I plan to do what I always do with my E-flite planes, Replace the ESC with a Mantis 65 amp and continue to use my Motion RC 4s 4000 lipos.:Cool:

Comment

Here's one right here

Comment

In the video it appears the AT-6 is stock. I do not recommend just tossing a 4s in!

The stock motor in the bird is the venerable 15-980kv that was originally used to power all the heavier ParkZone warbirds on 3s with 10” props. Using a 12” prop on 4s loads it up way too much!
                                    I agree with TomC that these motors will take a beating and the prop will have to be downsized to accommodate the added load. Keep the amp draw at 50-55max for sure. Anything over 55amp and the motor will cook.
                                    Due to the larger airframe and slightly added weight of the AT-6, I have pulled both stock esc and motor out. I installed a 60amp Turnigy Plush esc with a FlightLine 3648-880kv motor and will run those on a 4s 4500mAh battery. I can now also use a 12” prop to help get around the big cowl. The airframe is plenty big enough to handle it all and any added weight will be welcome on windy days. Don’t know if any of you have weighed the stock spinner on this plane but at 2.5ozs it’s another bandaid to add nose weight flying a small 3s system on what should be a 4s bird.
                                    Ill use the stock motor n esc to power a smaller model.

Amp tests with a 12x8 prop

20amp 1/2 throttle
                                    36amp 3/4 throttle
                                    55amp wot

The weather here is warming up so perhaps I can fly it before long.

Comment

Hey fellow AT-6 fans,

The old Top Flite AT-6 has been around for quite awhile, and I recently came across this one at the Arizona Electric Festival in Mesa Arizona last weekend. She's roughly the same size as the new E-flite AT-6, but is a "built-up", using balsa, ply and covering in an ARF format...

She's been recovered in an imaginary Reno-Racer scheme, "The Pink Lady" and really does move out, although I think the two planes (the new E-flite AT-6 and this one) are very comparable in speed.

Here she is being flown by owner Craig B!

This particular model has a pretty neat background history, so be sure to watch to the end of the video and hear Craig explain how he acquired the model and who exactly built it...

Enjoy the Show!

Comment

Yes, very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          Rather peculiar offering from E-Flite. It was not just that long ago that Freewing discontinued their 1450mm AT-6 for no apparent reason.
                                          The ones I saw were good fliers powered by 4S. The only reason I can imagine for the shut down by FW is because they were not a huge market share.
                                          They were also not Newb RC warbird pilot friendly due to the tip stall characteristic design of the AT-6 wing which was very similar to the full size.
                                          Be interesting to see how this E-flite at same size will do on 3S.
                                          RC Informer did a great build on the Freewing AT6, plus they addressed the problem of the erratic flying. This plane required a significant amount of weight to be added to the nose to correct the flight problems.

This video presents a brief flight demonstration and a complete Building Guide of the FREEWING AT-6 TEXAN ARF/PNF from MOTIONRC.COM. This is a 5 channel rec...

RC Informer has published a number of great build videos as well as showing important modifications to improve the planes flying characteristics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X