Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/72 scale Fletcher WW2 Destroyer -RTR

Bancroft 1/72 scale Fletcher Destroyer -RTR
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fletcher_Hero1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	243229

The Tin Can Fleet Rides Again!

Conquer the waves with Bancroft, the world’s premier RC Boat brand available exclusively at Motion RC! Bancroft’s line of RC vessels is as vast as the seven seas, specializing in high scale RC Warships, Yachts, Speedboats, and more! Equally at home on your mantle with its included display stand or sailing on calm lakes or pools, Bancroft vessels are made of high-quality materials including ABS, fiberglass, real wood, and photo-etched brass and steel parts.

The Fletcher class was the largest class of Destroyer built by the United States during World War II. Renowned as the backbone of the US Pacific Fleet, some went on to serve during the Korean War and into the Vietnam War. The long-range Fletcher-class ships performed every task of a destroyer, from anti-submarine warfare and anti-aircraft warfare to surface action. Capable of covering vast distances and bring massive firepower to bear, these destroyers served almost exclusively in the Pacific Theater during World War II, sinking thousands of tons of enemy shipping including 29 Imperial Japanese Navy submarines.

Bancroft’s Elite Series of warships continues with the 1/72 scale Battleship USS Fletcher. Display this museum piece on your mantle or astonish your RC boat club with this functional RTR (Ready to Run) RC battleship. Over 600 total parts and 100+ man-hours of work is already completed for you. Delivered Ready to Run (RTR), the vessel can be sailing within minutes of arrival, using the included 2.4Ghz radio transmitter and included 2s Li-Ion battery. Only four AA batteries and minimal final assembly is required before your Destroyer's service begins!
    Superb Detail Out-Of-The-Box

Stunning scale details including torpedo tubes, anti-aircraft emplacements, searchlights, and authentic rigging are completely finished out-of-the-box.

It took me about 15 minutes from opening the box to putting the boat in the water, not including charging the included battery.
    Easy Access Electronics Bay

Quickly access the interior hull by lifting the superstructure with one hand. The cavernous interior houses the two 550 sized brushed motors, ESC, and 2.4Ghz receiver.

In addition to the included 2s 7.4v 2800mAh battery, the Fletcher wants about 3.5kg of ballast to ride best in the water. Most of that weight could be accomplished with a heavier battery (if you want to run for the entire day!) or standard lead ballast, or an exercise plate weight I bought at the local sports store for about $10.
    Pin-Sized Details

Every surface of the Bancroft 1/72 scale Fletcher Destroyer is painted and detailed. Molded parts, 3D printed parts, fine synthetic rigging, fiberglass assemblies, and complex brass Photo-Etched (PE) parts combine to create an outstanding scale model that is also fully functional as an RC boat!

Even the lifeboats are modeled, swinging on lines and metal hooks.
    Removable Superstructure

Despite being covered in scale details, the entire superstructure remains very easy to service and is removable in seconds with one hand. Quickly access the interior of the hull to change the battery or monitor the quad-motor power system.

I'm so glad I didn't have to build this... the PE screens and PE railings along would have taken me hours!
    Photo-Etched Brass Parts

Some of the Photo-Etched (PE) parts are thinner than a pin, and some of the details are only visible under a magnifying glass! The durable PE railings can be gently bent back to shape like a paper clip if minor bends are caused during normal transport or handling.

The radar array on top of the bridge is a distinctive element of this variant of Fletcher Destroyer, and I'm glad to see it modeled in fine PE mesh and parts.
    Exceptional Scale Realism
    The Bancroft 1/72 scale Fletcher Destroyer strikes the perfect balance between scale realism and practical everyday use. Virtually maintenance-free, this RC warship is equally at home on the shelf on its included display stand, or cruising your lake, pond, or marina.

The Bofors cannons all over the Destroyer are also so detailed that a magnifying glass is needed to really appreciate them.
    Positionable Turrets

Each main turret can be manually rotated for display in the position of your choosing. DIY modelers may modify the turret base with a servo for remotely controlled movement. The Bancroft 1/72 Fletcher Destroyer has lots of space for DIY upgrades such as servo-driven turrets, LED lighting, and a smoke system.

I'm certain that some of our modelers here on Hobby Squawk will add a servo to make these turrets rotate.
    Dual-Screw Drive

Twin 550 brushed motors are coupled to stainless steel drive shafts. A waterproof steering servo and large rudder enables this Destroyer to maneuver in tight spots at full speed.
    1/72 Scale

The model is 1/72 for impressive size and detail.

At 1580mm long, it's *just* small enough to fit in a wider sedan sideways, otherwise it will need to go in through the trunk. Either way, I transport it sitting on the included display stand.
    Features:
    • RTR (Ready to Run) with 2.4Ghz radio, receiver, battery, and charger
    • 2.4Ghz radio system and all electronics Pre-Installed
    • Fully Painted and Detailed
    • Zero assembly required --Get underway in minutes!
    • Durable fiberglass molded hull and deck
    • Over 100 brass photo-etched (PE) parts and high detail parts
    • Extensively detailed and hand finished
    • Hyperscale detail comprising over 100 hours of hand craftsmanship
    • Four motors with steel drive shafts and genuine brass screws (propellers)
    • Quick-Detach Superstructure for easy access to the ship's interior
    • Pre-Installed Rigging with simple disconnect design
    • Positionable main turrets, easy to DIY for aftermarket modelers wanting to customize them to be remotely moveable
    • Rated for calm ponds, pools, and lakes appropriate for RC Boats
    Includes:
    • Bancroft 1/72 Scale USS Fletcher USA Destroyer - RTR
    • 2.4Ghz Radio and Receiver, pre-installed
    • Four motors drive system, pre-installed, with XT60 battery connector
    • Steering servo, pre-installed
    • 2s 7.4V Battery with XT60 connector
    • 2s Battery Charger
    • Basic Tabletop Display Stand
    Requires:
    • Four (4) AA-sized 1.5V dry cell batteries, Alkaline or NiMH to power the included 2.4Ghz radio transmitter
    • Ballast weight (3420-3780 grams depending on user's preference)
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

I'm really looking forward to this Fletcher Class DD ship! I've always wanted a turn-key, fiberglass hulled, scale ship to drive around a good sized lake. I want to long-range FPV it to be able to get out a solid mile or so. Pack a bunch of Mah/ballast in there, lights, multiple FPV views. Should be a fun project!

Comment

tt
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher_AAA_Guns.jpg
Views:	4672
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	242956Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher_Depth.jpg
Views:	4653
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	242959

tt

Name:	Fletcher_PinSized_Details.jpg
Views:	4686
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	242957Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher_Searchlight.jpg
Views:	4634
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	242958

kk

Name:	Fletcher_Positionable_Turrets.jpg
Views:	4653
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	242960Click image for larger version

Name:	Positionable Turrets.jpg
Views:	4759
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	242961

jj

Click image for larger version  Name:	Securely Packaged.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	242948

tt

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01276.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	242947
      tt

Comment

dfa

Name:	Fletcher_Removable_Superstructure.jpg
Views:	5174
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	242966

adf

Name:	Fletcher_Railings.jpg
Views:	4642
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	242967
        fff

Name:	Fletcher_Preassembled_Rigging.jpg
Views:	4672
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	242965

fff

Name:	Fletcher_Amazing_Detail.jpg
Views:	4738
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	242964Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher_PhotoEtched_Brass.jpg
Views:	4544
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	242963

ttt

Comment

I

Comment

These battleships are pretty dang sweet. There's a pond not even a half mile from me where this would look pretty bad A!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I can't wait to finally have a working model of my family's namesake ship: U.S.S. O'Bannon DD-450! The ship received the Presidential Unit Citation and 17 battle stars for World War II service, and 3 battle stars for Korean War Service. For you history buffs here's a detailed review of her service record:

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...dd-450-ii.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	594b6f603e27ba9cdc2abccba8d7398e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	243285Click image for larger version  Name:	0545033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	243286

Comment

Fletcher Class battleships in the Pacific went up against the biggest Japanese warships made, with no chance of survival, and changed the course of the war, I believe it was Capt Johnson who with all his guns blown off the deck, charged right into the Japanese armada to slow them down, and made the difference....

Comment

fastphil It is deeply, deeply humbling when I consider what the crews of Destroyers were up against. The Battle of Samar is an action that I re-read every couple of months to remind myself what gallantry is.

Comment

Can’t wait to see some videos of these. They look awesome!

Comment

My Dad served on the USS Sumner, a Fletcher Class Destroyer, I have to have one to honor him. I can not wait until these are available!! Years ago I did the Lindberg plastic one for R/C and had a ball with it. I remember fondly in a high speed turn that it would heal over just like the full size one. Sadly it sits at the bottom of a pond to this day, shipped too much water after a high speed sharp turn!
                      Last edited by zpilot; Mar 20, 2020, 03:06 PM. Reason: To add more information

Comment

Alpha, how about a Vietnam era PBR, I served on one way back when in the Mekong Delta.

Comment

zpilot Welcome to Hobby Squawk! My hats off to your father for his service, and his service on a Fletcher class Destroyer. It is amazing to me that in just a few hours of announcing the Bancroft 1/72 scale Fletcher Destroyer, we have already discovered two people with direct connections to these vessels, which is a potent reminder of the need to keep this part of our military history alive through RC models so future generations will never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by zpilot View Post
                            Alpha, how about a Vietnam era PBR, I served on one way back when in the Mekong Delta.
                            Thank you for your service, like your father! Please post this request in the "Warships Request" thread so we can all keep track and garner additional interest. I would love to do a larger high scale PBR someday!

Comment

Ok not sure how to get there!

Comment

Originally posted by fastphil View Post
                                Fletcher Class battleships in the Pacific went up against the biggest Japanese warships made, with no chance of survival, and changed the course of the war, I believe it was Capt Johnson who with all his guns blown off the deck, charged right into the Japanese armada to slow them down, and made the difference....
                                A much due correction, it was Cmdr Evans on the USS Johnson, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf that US Sailors showed above and beyond bravery...

Comment

Originally posted by RCGuy83 View Post
                                  I can't wait to finally have a working model of my family's namesake ship: U.S.S. O'Bannon DD-450! The ship received the Presidential Unit Citation and 17 battle stars for World War II service, and 3 battle stars for Korean War Service. For you history buffs here's a detailed review of her service record:

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...dd-450-ii.html

Click image for larger version Name:	594b6f603e27ba9cdc2abccba8d7398e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	243285Click image for larger version Name:	0545033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	243286
                                  I too would make the O' Bannon. In 1980 I served on the USS Bagley. The O'Bannon was moored across from us in San Diego on pier 19. I did a Sea and Anchor detail for the O' Bannon on the dock during her shoving off for a deployment and whoever was at the helm messed up and crushed the dock I was standing on. Scare the H out me. The prop guard was bent like a pretzel as they left. I heard that they insisted they didn't need a tug to go. Guess they did.
                                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Wow, you too, quitcherbitchen ?!? This proves that there are always more degrees of connection between people than we'd might think.

Thank you for your naval service!

Comment

In the 80s she had missiles on the aft gun platforms. It would be a cool mod.
                                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                                        In the 80s she had missiles on the aft gun platforms. It would be a cool mod.
                                        quitcherbitchen Which vessel had the missiles? I'm looking through all my notes and references and can't find a Fletcher in the '80s with missiles... I agree it would be a cool mod and would love to design one for 3DP, I just need references if anyone has some to share.

Comment

Working...
                                        X