Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there much room inside the hull on a t90? I'd like to deck the thing out but runtime on an 1800mah will leave a lot to be desired. Not afraid to bust out the Dremel and the soldering iron if there's scope to fit something larger internally.

Also, how interchangeable are motor upgrades? I understand there are red and blue 380 sizes (I assume different winds) and a 390? I further understand we are limited to brushed motors given the integration of the ESC on the mfcb. Are there amperage limitations we should be mindful of when making a tank heavier?

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
      Is there much room inside the hull on a t90? I'd like to deck the thing out but runtime on an 1800mah will leave a lot to be desired. Not afraid to bust out the Dremel and the soldering iron if there's scope to fit something larger internally.

Also, how interchangeable are motor upgrades? I understand there are red and blue 380 sizes (I assume different winds) and a 390? I further understand we are limited to brushed motors given the integration of the ESC on the mfcb. Are there amperage limitations we should be mindful of when making a tank heavier?

​​​​
      There is plenty of room inside the T90 for a rather large battery but you will have to modify and cut a few things out like the old battery box and the airsoft motor/gear box.

For motors don’t waist time with any 380 motor go straight to red 390s especially if you are running metal tracks and road wheels. The control board can easily handle them and voltage up to 10v. The 6.0 contol board is rated to just over 12v. I have run my 6.0 tanks with 3 cell Lipos 11.2v (12.4 actual) with no issues but I found them uncontrollably. The scale speed reached ~60mph (you will have to convert that to KPH).

Attached are photos of my 6.0 T72 (same lower hull and running hardware as the T90). It is shown with red motors installed. At the point where these photos were taken I had not begun to remove the battery box. Notice the airsoft gearbox in the turret has been removed. This is to allow the gun to elevate and rotate while not sitting low in the upper hull and hitting the larger battery.

If you want to see more of this tank running and others visit my Instagram @fsttanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	C927972C-CA3F-4FB1-8EC9-8E82E2474515.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	242.8 KB ID:	238598T72 modernized to “GX” standards (Gladiator Xtreme) catching some air time at a scale speed of 45mph. With higher voltage and red 390 motors come a lot higher performance and fun. But I caution there is a price to pay and higher maintenance requirements to keep up with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	07C7F9C2-E696-4388-BB12-A1F5DFBBDC42.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	238597Click image for larger version  Name:	5CC670E7-7345-4A9A-A2BE-9BABE70187D5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	238596

Comment

Wow, awesome response and crystal clear photos - thanks so much!

Comment

Anyone happen to know what the the factory default suspension setting is (spring hole) for the heavy metal pro edition T-90? Normal or extra tension? Story below:

I received my professional edition T-90 from motionrc and am very pleased with how the tank built out. I disassembled the running gear to paint the metal, to include the swing arms. When I put everything back together I chose the higher suspension pressure by seating the springs in the hole for that. I hadn't paid attention to what setting the springs were on when I disassembled them. Now, the tank runs well but has a bit of stiffness. I wonder if perhaps the tank could be run 'softer' on the other hole. My other thought is a hybrid setting of the first two arms per side and the last arms could be soft and the middle three firmer. This may give the chassis a better, more realistic presentation on uneven ground.

Davy

Comment

Originally posted by Davy101 View Post
            Anyone happen to know what the the factory default suspension setting is (spring hole) for the heavy metal pro edition T-90? Normal or extra tension? Story below:

I received my professional edition T-90 from motionrc and am very pleased with how the tank built out. I disassembled the running gear to paint the metal, to include the swing arms. When I put everything back together I chose the higher suspension pressure by seating the springs in the hole for that. I hadn't paid attention to what setting the springs were on when I disassembled them. Now, the tank runs well but has a bit of stiffness. I wonder if perhaps the tank could be run 'softer' on the other hole. My other thought is a hybrid setting of the first two arms per side and the last arms could be soft and the middle three firmer. This may give the chassis a better, more realistic presentation on uneven ground.

Davy
            The factory setting is light and even with the heavier metal wheels and metal track this is the best all around setting.

The T90/72 is not a long tank so you will see it bounce more if the springs are to stiff. If you are setting the springs try heavy on the first and last road wheel sets and light on the rest. The heavy setting on the first and last road wheels is helpful in retaining tracks but only if you are running higher volts and the 390 red motors because of the higher speeds and torque being produced. The tracks need a little extra help to stay on.

I have some SLOW MOTION videos of my T72(same lower hull and suspension as the T90) on Instagram that clearly show what the soft setting looks like while driving over roughy terrain. Instagram @fsttanks

Comment

Thanks! I'll get the springs changed to the softer setting. Your T72 looked very nice!

Comment

Put a set of mato tracks and sprocket/idler on the T90 today. Yeah the weight when you pick it up is cool, but what's amazing is how much cooler it looks when it's moving. It sits back a little when you take off an then transfers a bit of weight onto the nose when you stop. Looks so much more life like.

Comment

Rubicon,
                  What is the final drive support bearing size for the T-90? I have the Pro edition so the beefier option is preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy101 View Post
                    Rubicon,
                    What is the final drive support bearing size for the T-90? I have the Pro edition so the beefier option is preferable.
                    I just posted photos of the factory bearing with the measurements over on the Abrams upgrade thread. The T90/72 share them same bearing size as the Abrams.

Comment

Thank you. It took some doing, but I was able to find the specific bearings for the T90 and the M1A2 on the Aliexpress sight. A pair are now between $10 and $11 with free shipping. Strangely, I was not able to find them by going to the site and searching, but a simple google search brought up an Aliexpress .url that linked right to what i wanted. Here is the direct link for anyone else that is having the same trouble.

Comment

This is for the knowledge base for this tank. If you have the pro version and want to paint the metal wheels to closely match the tank, these are the paint colors I've found look good to me. For the green, I used Tamiya Olive Drab (XF-62) lightened with flat white (XF-2), about 2 or 3 parts OD to 1 part white. For the tan, Tamiya buff (XF-57) is close as well. Before painting I definitely recommend cleaning the metal with denatured alcohol (like isopropyl) and hitting them with a good etching primer first. After everything is painted the color you want, and dry, run the tank through dirt, dust and mud and everything will blend in perfectly.

Comment

Davy101 Thank you for sharing that information for the Community, Davy101! Greatly appreciated.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

You're welcome Alpha! As always, thank you for your energy, drive, leadership and vision, both at MRC and over the years in the larger modelling/RC hobby.

BTW, I nearly stroked out when I saw that you guys were bringing 1/200 scale warships to market! I have two of the old Nichimo Yamato kits and a recent 3D printed light cruiser HMS Aurora, also in 1/200 scale. I'm interested in the Bancroft Missouri, Bismarck, Fletcher and, if you offer them later, Hood, King George V, Kirov and Arleigh Burke.

Comment

Hi all,

I see the HL T90 sold on Amazon does NOT have the IR. Is that the old stock? Thanks Dai

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contro...d-games&sr=1-1

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
                                Hi all,

I see the HL T90 sold on Amazon does NOT have the IR. Is that the old stock? Thanks Dai

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contro...d-games&sr=1-1
                                Yes old version.

Look for ones that say 6.0. The 6.0 are the new ones with IR and adjustable track tensioner system. Don’t buy the older one you will not like it’s overall performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes old version.

Look for ones that say 6.0. The 6.0 are the new ones with IR and adjustable track tensioner system. Don’t buy the older one you will not like it’s overall performance.
                                  Suprised it is still offered on Amazon. Dai

Comment

Suprised it is still offered on Amazon. Dai
                                    Old stock some retailers still have.

Comment

Old stock some retailers still have.
                                      I contemplated if the plastic track will do but after I saw what these tanks go through on You Tube ( Brutal !!! even half submerged in water) I think metal gear/tracks a must. Dai

Comment

Yes you can. It is not hard to do. I run a 8 cel 9.6v full size NiHM 5000 mah battery in my T90 and T72s. You do have to remove the old battery box and you will lose the airsoft feature, but a large more powerful battery can fit.
                                        With that tiny battery and I have the metal dear box/tracks, what is the average run time? I think they put the small battery because of design limitation? Dai

Comment

With that tiny battery and I have the metal dear box/tracks, what is the average run time? I think they put the small battery because of design limitation? Dai
                                          MorionRC sells a higher capacity battery that fits the small box.

Lots of folks use them or simple remove the airsoft gun and factory box. Then there is room for much larger types of batteries.

Comment

Working...
                                          X