X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $7 Modular IR Target

Modular, readily available IR target that I cooked up. It is compatible across all board types, including but not limited to Tamiya, Taigen, IBU, OpenPanzer, and HengLong. Can be powered through any battery that is 3V - 5.5V.
    This allows a wide range of batteries to be used, including but not limited to: 1S (3.7V) LiPo, 1S 18650 Li-ion, CR2032/2016 coin cell, 3AA, 3NiMH.
    Depending on your application and size needed, you can choose the battery pack and capacity to fit.
    Available now at https://www.etsy.com/shop/LegoDEI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8744.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	280628
    Shown here it is connected to a 3.7V 1000mah LiPo battery. The module itself measures only 1.5" x 1.5", or 40cm x 40cm.

Name:	IMG_8748.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	280629
    Multiple units can be strung together, either next to each other or with long jumper wires, allowing a whole string of them to use one power source.
    Shown here we use short two pin header jumpers to create an array.

Name:	lit.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	280631
    Attached Files

Ok, I ordered a couple, just what I was looking for to test IR without turning two tanks on!

Some details now: how many receiver sensors on a board? What do the lights do, flash? stay on? how long? Any noises? I presume we make our own battery connectors, is there a diagram or other indicator of where they should go? Thanks!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Any of the four edges can be used, only 2 pins are needed to power (See attached). All 4 pins need to be used if powering more than 10 boards. Each board has 4 independent receiver / led circuits for redundancy. Lights flash for duration of the signal. If you buy a small lipo pack, the standard jst connector plugs in perfectly, otherwise you can make your own using a 2 pin dupont connector.

Comment

So a momentary "shot" will show a momentary flash?

Comment

Correct. For most control boards / tank models, the shot lasts for a full second, which is how long the indicators will light up.

Comment

Hi Lego, could you post a video of this thing in action? I think it would explain it better.
            Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

So there's 4 receivers, if any one is hit, all four or more) lights flash?

Comment

Each receiver / indicator is it's own circuit. They're capable of lighting up independently of each other; allowing for some cool visual measurements to be taken regarding beam size and spread. The end effect with a single unit doesn't look any different than you're used to, but when an array of units are put together, then you can tell it is providing feedback about the IR beam that is being emitted in real time; i.e. this has no delay compared to receivers on your tank, and provides positional information about how well your cannon is aimed with minimal delay.

Comment

I see some real potential with this new IR target system. With two or three of them set apart they could be used to effectively “zero” the IR emitter of a tank and show the “cone of fire” at given distances. Knowing where a tank hits at different ranges greatly adds to the speed at which one can engage a threat and score hits.

Comment

This is great. Just ordered 2 IR targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
                      I see some real potential with this new IR target system. With two or three of them set apart they could be used to effectively “zero” the IR emitter of a tank and show the “cone of fire” at given distances. Knowing where a tank hits at different ranges greatly adds to the speed at which one can engage a threat and score hits.

That's exactly the intent! I originally made them for testing after writing that other thread about different IR emitter spreads and power and different distances.

Comment

Just received mine. (pun intended) Works just fine. I immediately tested it with a 1S lipo on a bright but shady area. It read my tank shot and lit up from about 40 feet away. Traversing the gun away a few degrees resulted in no light up. I even tested the machine gun, as I was told it sends an IR signal every few seconds - maybe 3 or 4? It lit up, but not as bright. The LEDs are blue and are visible in shade, not sure about in the sun. I didn't put it through any other testing, I just wanted to see if it works.

I wanted one to test the IR function on my tanks, and for this it's great. I'm sure others will find all sorts of uses.

It doesn't come with any instructions, so this thread is the only info source. I've painted the positive terminals red for convenience.

Comment

Tinkered some more, this time in the evening. Range in the dark is a little bit farther, but not too much. 45 to 50 feet. This is a function of the emitter, I'm sure. One thing of strong interest; I used a Sherman, which has the emitter on the right side of the barrel. The barrel blocks the signal to the left as you'd expect, but the signal lights the target from straight on to about 25 degrees to the right. I also tried a StuG III with the emitter in the barrel and saw a much narrower beam spread. Good for the enemy, not so much for the shooter!

All a lot of fun, well worth the price. I'll keep mine in my field box, to test IR function there.

Comment

Those distances sound about right for the cheaper ir receivers used in these compared to the apples. I originally wanted to include a little shade of some sort for better reception and visibility in sunlight, but wanted to keep costs low for those that are buying multiple.

Comment

Hi Lego DEI, would you please post a picture of an actual electrical connection to the IR board from a battery pack or battery holder. Either with a connector plug or just wires.

Thanks

Comment

Simple connection. I used legoDEI's photo to ascertain positive and negative & painted the red connections for reference. The pins are routed in such a way to allow multiple boards to be connected side by side, as it were.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ir battery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	282102

LegoDEI, it'd be cool if you were to include those jumpers you showed, when folks bought more than one. oh, I agree with your not adding shades. It'll be simple to just put the board into a box if desired.

Comment

Here's a shot of the target at about 12 feet away. The lights stay on ~ 1 second, enough to take a photo. (I painted the face of mine black.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IR target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	282110

trivia: name the tank!

Comment

SocalBob - thanks for the picture.
                                    My intent was for connection pics to be included by LegoDEI for the benefit of new folks to the rctank world who might not have the knowledge yet.

I tested my two boards earlier today at about 6 meters, both work just fine.

I think that would be a Panzer IV ausf F2.

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                                      My intent was for connection pics to be included by LegoDEI for the benefit of new folks to the rctank world who might not have the knowledge yet.

I think that would be a Panzer IV ausf F2.
                                      Yeah I agree, a slip of paper would be helpful for those who hadn’t seen the photo on this thread. And yes, you win the ID contest!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I've the diagram showing + and - for the connectors that I posted in an earlier response to the etsy listing. I will also update to start including 8 jumpers per board

Comment

Working...
                                        X