X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian T-35A

Hey guys, gonna need some help for this thread. Member Gringotuerto and I are going to try to build a 3D printed Russian T-35A five turreted tank. The 3D files are on Thingiverse. G knows printing, and I am going to contribute the mechanical and electronic components. So far, all I've done is play with Heng Long innards.

The tank's drive and main turret would be stick driven, with servos running rotation and gun control. The secondary turrets would have servo rotation. Tertiary turrets would be cosmetic (maybe flashing LEDs for MGs!)

I'm looking for recommendations for the following:

A transmitter - I've seen the Flysky i6/10S (or whatever it's called) and I could use its control inputs. Sticks for movement and main turret control. Roller wheels for secondary turret rotation. The Tx comes with a receiver that can control 10 functions.

A MFU. The TK-40, if it can handle the above.

A premium gearbox and motors. The original builder used a KV box, but said it was geared too high and stalled in turns. I'm thinking that we'd be using a higher voltage than HL stock to overcome some stalling, along with lower gearing and metal gears. Desirable that external dimensions are the same, as the tank was designed for that.

So, I'm open to everyone's suggestions, recommendations and opinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0a68743a409069d29e3cc1bc9201ad1c_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	316294

Name:	61a1beb1f7dbc3cd89ee022248d8bbc1_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	316295

Name:	7014824a73ba9e48258e1fdd40c56fdc_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	316297
    Attached Files
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Wow, what a project! This will be awesome when you get a rolling prototype! Will make a great “early” Barbarossa opponent to the H-L Pzkw IIIs and IVs, please keep us updated!

Comment

Here's a teaser. This photo is of the four sections that make up the hull. Shows the overall length. I put my PzKpfw 1B in the shot for size comparison. They were contemporaries!

Name:	T-35 09.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	317550

Comment

Taigen makes a second gear box option called a 4.1 because it has 4 shafts instead of 3.
        FYI Henglong tranny gear ratio is 33:1 from motor to shaft.
        Taigen 3.1 is 39:1 ratio, slightly slower with more torque.
        Tamiya is 59:1 ratio slower yet with more torque.
        Then there is the taigen 4.1 which is 89:1. amazing torque but slow.
        Also there is mato, I cant remember their ratio but they are geared very low and slow as well, but their QC on their stuff sucks. I had to buy a spare tranny set for my mato sherman becuase the gears wobbled on their axis just terribly.

I just got done testing the DK board. I think it would work for your tank but right now it needs alot of stick travel to get to near full throttle. It has a few glitches. When you get closer to being ready, he may have the updates done to the board. See my review on RCuniverse.com

I prefer the Spektrum DX8. I love it and all the really cool stuff I can do with it like mixing and making one button make the cannon fire, and another button make the machine gun fire just by setting each one up to make the elevation stick full potential on either end. Another switch I have set to null the throttle to 75% for faster tanks. I cant reccomend the Dx8 or its series of 9 and 10 channel radios enough.

Since your building a battleship on tracks, it reminds me of how I made my HO scale battleship turrets turn. The two forward and one aft all had gear drives on servos but the 5 dual 5" turrets on each side I was not going to make operate separately. I used one servo for all the turrets on one side and cams and rudder linkage on all of them so the servo would turn them all from facing for and aft, to a 45 deg angle from the ship, or to a 90 deg angle broadside. It was quite an impressive set up to engineer. but with all the turrets, you could rig up something similar.
        RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
          Here's a teaser. This photo is of the four sections that make up the hull. Shows the overall length. I put my PzKpfw 1B in the shot for size comparison. They were contemporaries!

Name:	T-35 09.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	317550
          You could use a pair of PzKpfw 1B's as tugs for that battleship...
          Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Rich, I’m interested in that Taigen 4:1 you mentioned. Sounds good for the T-35. Speed ain’t in it, but torque to make this beast turn is important. Do you know if it has the same footprint as HL gearboxes?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              Rich, I’m interested in that Taigen 4:1 you mentioned. Sounds good for the T-35. Speed ain’t in it, but torque to make this beast turn is important. Do you know if it has the same footprint as HL gearboxes?
              Yes they are direct replacement for HL gearboxes. Run them with the 390 motors and you will have no issues with turning torque yet your top speed will still be rather slow even above 9 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
                ...you will have no issues with turning torque yet your top speed will still be rather slow even above 9 volts...
                Weeeelll... I don't think T35's were zipping around the battlefield like they were M18 Hellcats anyway...
                I've looked at the files for this beast on Thingiverse and promptly downloaded them. Might run some pieces during my printers "downtime" just for sh*ts and giggles...

TTFN,
                Rob

Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1970 View Post

Weeeelll... I don't think T35's were zipping around the battlefield like they were M18 Hellcats anyway...
                  I've looked at the files for this beast on Thingiverse and promptly downloaded them. Might run some pieces during my printers "downtime" just for sh*ts and giggles...

TTFN,
                  Rob
                  Obviously you have never run 4:1 gearboxes. “Slow” is meant to describe the speed in comparison to the standard HL 3:1 gearbox. By comparison the 4:1 is much slower. It’s not meant to make any reference to the historical speed of the real tank.

Comment

I stand corrected. And I feel like I should be standing in a corner...

Comment

I'm back! Gringotuerco and I are still working on this project.

We're about 30% done. The running gear works, which is the most important step. Without that, it's a door stop! Doing this gives me more respect for the $200 we spend for a Heng Long tank.

To this point:

262 track links & track teeth. 262 track pins cut from music wire.
                      8 road wheel suspensions, incorporating 8 supports, 32 swing arms, 16 3-piece road wheels, 2 8-piece idlers, 2 3-piece sprockets, 52 3mm bolts & nuts cut to custom length.
                      4-piece lower hull.
                      12 3-piece return roller wheels and mounts.
                      Heng Long 2 red motor transmission, 6.1S MFU, speaker & battery.
                      One heckuva lot of 3D printing material.
                      So far an ounce of CA glue.

Name:	T-35 13.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	331549

Name:	T-35 14.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	331550

Besides a lot detail work, now we start on the top deck, turrets and guns. The main gun will have standard motorized traverse and elevation. The secondary and tertiary turrets will have programmable random servo motion.

The tracks run fine on pavement. We haven't tried them in dirt, and I don't think they'd work well on carpet for instance, due to their length. No "spinning", that's for sure!

Comment

From your picture posted, that is a very long set of tracks. Impressive!

Comment

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	331558

Comment

Damn that's a huge run of tracks

Comment

Comment

That thing is not going to turn worth a darn lol. Impressive work so far Bob.
                                RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                                  That thing is not going to turn worth a darn lol. Impressive work so far Bob.
                                  Comrade, a true hero of the people drives straight at the enemy, and has no need of turning.

Comment

I salute Comrade Gringotuertovavich! However, sometimes the victory parades must go around curves. Here's proof it can.

By no means done, return rollers absent, some axles not secured. Just enough progress to test whether it can run.

Comment

Drove the chassis around on some outdoor carpet and some dirt. It worked quite adequately, very pleased.

Here's two tiny teasers of parts; not polished or painted yet: Three parts of the main gun, and the lid and hatches of a secondary turret.

Click image for larger version  Name:	T-35 17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.8 KB ID:	332847Click image for larger version  Name:	T-35 18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	332848

Comment

Project update: received the turret shell yesterday. I added a muzzle flash LED, which I sprayed with transparent orange to shift the color from the bluish white. There were mounts in the turret for servos, so I activated the servo operated barrel recoil and gun elevation. I'm using a Heng Long 6.1S board for this.

Oh, the lights are to tell me if the tank is turned on when I've muted the engine sound on the workbench.

Comment

Working...
                                        X