Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha! Thank you for your response! All my tanks that I want to upgrade are HLs, so they all have HL's sprockets. I would like to upgrade my Panzer III, IV, V, VIB (King Tiger), M4, and KV1. You asked me to be specific :-) At this time I am looking at tracks that are available from Taigen, Torro, Mato and HL. Are there others with reasonable prices? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
      Alpha! Thank you for your response! All my tanks that I want to upgrade are HLs, so they all have HL's sprockets. I would like to upgrade my Panzer III, IV, V, VIB (King Tiger), M4, and KV1. You asked me to be specific :-) At this time I am looking at tracks that are available from Taigen, Torro, Mato and HL. Are there others with reasonable prices? Thank you!
      With the WW2 tanks you mention stick with the metal HL tracks as there is no advantage to going with the Mato tracks. WW2 era HL metal tracks are actually rather good and often proven stronger then Mato metal tracks.

Comment

Oh well... just picked up a KV-1 for peanuts... It's going to be a fun project on the side... Some plastic decor missing, and I think it's a 5.xx board? But hey, for the price I payed I am happy with it. Already have ordered a 6.0S board to upgrade it, along with the IR gubbins. Wiring I can do myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KV_1_01.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	318915

Name:	KV_1_02.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	318916
        Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

My really cheap KV-1 arrived... and the postal service managed to do what many German tank failed at...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ouchie.png Views:	0 Size:	252.5 KB ID:	319028

Both front idler wheels snapped off, and a chunk off the fender. Wheels are being fixed, and we will call the fender battle damage. Altho MEK and ABS works great, might be fine..
          *sigh*

*EDIT*

Fixed!! It ain't pretty, but it works. Kinda like me. "In Soviet Russia, Comrade Tank Mekanik weld STRONK!!" Just need to put in that "bolt" that was glued into the tensioner. I had to saw that out. tho..

Click image for larger version  Name:	fix01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	319030

...but meet my new friend! Mister Nutter!! This is probably my new favourite tool. Awesome for scratchbuilding. Had to hunt around for one, they seemed either sold out, or going for a ridiculous price. But I managed to find one. Still wasn't cheap, but totally worth it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MisterNutter.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	319031

Also; ain't that little hammer not the cutest ever!!

TTFN,
          Rob
          Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Rob, may want to check out this KV-1 build if you haven't seen it https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=22&t=31829

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
              Rob, may want to check out this KV-1 build if you haven't seen it https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=22&t=31829
              Found it, and inspired by it! Thanks for that!

Comment

My Kvs' works were quite simple: washed, dry brushed, rusted, and coated. One for the Russian and one captured for the German. I am waiting for the order on the metal tracks and ge Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7072.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	319072 ars for replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

With the WW2 tanks you mention stick with the metal HL tracks as there is no advantage to going with the Mato tracks. WW2 era HL metal tracks are actually rather good and often proven stronger then Mato metal tracks.
                  DavidN I completely agree with Rubicon. He really knows his stuff. I tend to look for Mato tracks on my modern tanks. Leopard, Abrams, etc. '80s and forward. That being said, I haven't had any problems so far with the stock metal tracks from Heng Long and Torro. For the most part they're all serviceable under normal use and if you're not a super-scale nerd like myself. When in doubt, cover it with dirt.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    When in doubt, cover it with dirt.
                    The mantra that is the blessing of every scale modeler doing heavy armour... if only airplane modelers were that lucky... Best we can do is make a crash diorama.

Comment

Many thanks to Alpha and Rubicon about my metal track issues. I notice a couple of my metal track links have lost a few teeth. I was concerned. The tank still runs fine. Anyway, I can just replace the individual link if I really feel there is a need. I will stay with HL metal tracks then.

Comment

All electronics done. Started doing some old winter weathering on top deck and turret. Range has at least doubled with the addition of the Lego IR unit. With the exception of the smoke unit, which is the old puffer type, all the hardware and equipment is working well considering this was a static plastic version!
                        Attached Files

Comment

For member who had his static tanks upgraded, you can get these gearboxes cover from Toucan to protect your inside components from the grease at very reasonable prices. I have just received my orders:

Name:	IMG_7696.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	324962

Comment

For $11.50 (cost of the metal Toro panzer IV barrel), I have just upgraded a HL panzer IV F2 to a panzer IV G :-)

Name:	IMG_8292.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	330155

Comment

I am waiting for the side skirts set to arrive and turn it into this.....

Name:	19.PNG
Views:	224
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	330158

Comment

Top is from Toro with metal turret. Bottom is from HL with ultimate HL steel gearboxes, metal tracks, wheels, sprockets, and idlers. The tank now has LegoDEI IR emitter and receiver. The lighting includes launching light, aiming light, MG light and frontal light. It is ready for battle in January 2022 :-)

Name:	IMG_E8485.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	331709

Comment

Name:	IMG_E8488.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	331711

Comment