X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PzKpfw II Ausf L "Luchs"

Y'all may notice I like to convert tanks from one to the other; Sherman to Lee, Pz IV to StuG IV. I also like to convert display models to radio control. This thread is about the latter.

Classy Hobby makes a Luchs in 1:16 scale. It turns out that a company called "35rctank" has made a conversion kit for this tank in the past; main board, motorization, sound, 20mm auto cannon firing and recoiling and MG firing, for a little over $200. You'll need your own radio equipment. He has stated he will do another production run in the future. He has a Youtube clip of its operation.

Pretty cool! Of course the suspension and tracks of a display kit could be problematical: will it handle motorization? Only way to find out is to get the kit. One thing I've learned about hobbies, if you want something, get it now. If you wait, you'll find it's gone. So I picked up a Luchs. If you search, you can find one for a little over $100, but shop around; there's a grossly wide range of prices out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	classymc16001reviewbg_1.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	321325

Now construction will have to wait for the conversion kit, but I checked out the track links. They seem suitable; plastic segments with metal pins. I put a few together; tedious but straightforward.

Anyway, I started this thread for an ulterior motive. If anyone else is interested in a project like this, send an email to 35rctank. If he sees interest, he may bump up his schedule!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Dear, dear sweet Bob...
    Can you pleeeeease stop coming up with these awesome projects!! I'm already hunting for the Takom Renault...

Rob
    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1970 View Post
      Dear, dear sweet Bob...
      Can you pleeeeease stop coming up with these awesome projects!! I'm already hunting for the Takom Renault...

Rob
      Hah! Then I guess I shouldn't mention the Classy Hobby M5 Stuart and the 35rctank conversion, huh? Hey, regarding the Renault, there are I think three versions Takom made. One includes a resin French tanker figure. by all means get that one if you can! I realized the differences too late for me. Of course, if you want to sell the figure to me... 😁

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	321330

FYI, I assembled a bunch of links.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
        Hah! Then I guess I shouldn't mention the Classy Hobby M5 Stuart and the 35rctank conversion, huh?
        No, you shouldn't...

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
        Hey, regarding the Renault, there are I think three versions Takom made. One includes a resin French tanker figure. by all means get that one if you can! I realized the differences too late for me. Of course, if you want to sell the figure to me... 😁
        I'll keep that in mind. At the moment I am having trouble finding -any- version...

Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

35rctank had sent me the email confirming that I am on their mailing list for that kit.

Comment

35rctank emailed me that the RC kit for the Luchs is in stock. I am a happy RC tank hobbyist.

Comment

Got my order in. This should be an interesting thread. There’ll be a lot to learn about conversion and customization techniques from this build.

Comment

I am excited. With this RC Panzer II, my panzer fleet will be complete.

Comment

Missed the cut. Disappointed, but more kits will be made in a month or so. In it for the long haul.

Comment

Development:

A couple of months ago I'd asked S.K. the 35rc owner if he had any kits in stock. He said no but that he would be making more in a few months and put my name on a list. (NOT a reservation, only a notification list.) Last week I got a notification but by the time I responded (six hours), he'd sold them all! He said he would make some more in a month or so to meet demand.

However, he remembered my name and when a cancellation occurred, he sold me one.

Takeaway? First, the seller seems sincere and conscientious. Second, he produces according to demand. Conclusion? If you want a particular kit not in stock, let him know! In 1/16 scale, he has kits for the M5 Stuart, the Luchs, and used to have one for the 38(T).

I'll post occasionally here and on the RC Tank Warfare forum as I peruse and progress, or if folks have questions.

Comment

My order went through. I made payment. SK confirmed payment received and the item was shipped. I am waiting for it to arrive.

Comment

Got mine today - 6 days, not bad! Now the work begins.

OK, to details. Here's what you get, from top left:

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	325290

Turret rotation assembly. Rotation motor, mounts for elevation and recoil, a PCB to control it. A humungus speaker! Turret ring - this is run by a motor on the rotation assembly. Cannon recoil unit - solenoid operated with a spring return. The MCU, main control unit. Two motor/gearbox assemblies. Assorted small parts to complete it.

Needed to add is a 4+ channel receiver. Their manual shows a Spektrum Rx.

Comment

I received my order too. I haven't gotten the time to assemble the track links yet. Daughter started school. But I tried to few links and they were difficult to work on :-(

Comment

First step, preparation for the gearboxes. I'm posting a more detailed build thread "PzKpfw II L 35rctanks conversion construction" on the "RC Tank Warfare" forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1763.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	325346

Comment

Thanks Bob! I will just have to follow you as I did with the Lee and Stug IV.

Comment

I am slowly crawling behind you Bob by checking your picture and the manual. So grateful to have a leader :-)

Name:	IMG_7756.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	325377

Comment

Hey David. I’ll post some details later, but don’t glue in the gearboxes yet. Dry fitting only! Not clear in the instructions, but the torsion bar assembly is Germanic in its complexity, and needs to be done before securing the motors.

Regarding the tracks, a tip is if a particular link is harder than usual to connect, put a second rod in temporarily from the other side to help in alignment.

Comment

Got it! Thank you for the tip on track links. That helps significantly.

Comment

My torsion bar suspension considerations are in RCTW but notice the sides are not symmetrical. The gray and black supports have to be placed correctly and precisely to allow torsion bars to twist. Don't glue in the gearboxes until this step is finished. I did glue the transmission covers onto the hull and the metal adapters onto the sprocket wheels. Those are needed to properly position the gearboxes when the time comes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1767.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	325452Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1766.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	325453

Comment

Torsion bar assembly: original plastic with rod, swing arm drilled and cut for steel strip, strip inserted. Swing arm in place.

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	325480Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	325479

Comment

Working...