X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help picking a Tamiya Tank

My wife gave me a green light on getting a Tamiya tank for this Xmas. I would like to get one that comes in a box. So for all my great Tamiya experts members in this forum, may I ask for your opinion? From you experience, can you let me know the least troublesome Tamiya tank for the money? And also kindly share with me your 2nd best option? Which retail online store should I get it from beside Ebay? I would like to build one from the beginning to the RC finishing stage so I can understand about Tamiya RC. Thank you!

Most of the Tamiya tanks are out of production now.
    You should look at the AAF museum store and see which ones are available and pick your choice from that stock.
    Or go to EBay and find one that may be new old stock but you will pay a very high price.
    all Tamiya tanks are good and have some drawback to their design that is unique to each tank.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
      Most of the Tamiya tanks are out of production now.
      You should look at the AAF museum store and see which ones are available and pick your choice from that stock.
      Or go to EBay and find one that may be new old stock but you will pay a very high price.
      all Tamiya tanks are good and have some drawback to their design that is unique to each tank.
      I took your advice and went on AFF. They have only 2 tanks left. The KT and the Tiger I. The KT is listed at $1138 and the Tiger I at $1227. But when I added to my cart, the KT became $683 and Tiger I at $737. Are they for real? I can get a Tamiya tank for a price a little over the price of Torro/Taigen tanks? Much cheaper than what I saw on Ebay. Do you know that the kits include everything? All I need are the transmitter and batteries to make it run after I assemble the kits?

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        At those prices, for $1420.00 you could have both tanks. Seems like a good price to me, but I have not shopped tanks since 2020. Best, LB

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

I took your advice and went on AFF. They have only 2 tanks left. The KT and the Tiger I. The KT is listed at $1138 and the Tiger I at $1227. But when I added to my cart, the KT became $683 and Tiger I at $737. Are they for real? I can get a Tamiya tank for a price a little over the price of Torro/Taigen tanks? Much cheaper than what I saw on Ebay. Do you know that the kits include everything? All I need are the transmitter and batteries to make it run after I assemble the kits?
      The question is do you really want a KT or Tiger 1? Yes the in cart prices are real.

Yes the kits come with everything minus the battery, radio/receiver and Tamiya battle unit (TBU). Best to buy the TBU before you build the tank and install it during your build. You should also upgrade from the Tamiya IR bulb at the same time. Note: you can not use the Lego DEI receiver with the older DMD/MFU systems that the above tanks come with. You have to use the Tamiya IR receiver for the system to function correctly.

I would recommend also investing in a complete wheel bearing set for whichever tank you buy. The kits come with bushing which are fine, but with bearing the tanks just seem so much smoother.

Comment

Motion has 5 different Tamiya kits in stock right now. Prices are not as low as AAF but not bad. I have been tempted by the Perishing lately, but like my HL one for now.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
          Motion has 5 different Tamiya kits in stock right now. Prices are not as low as AAF but not bad. I have been tempted by the Perishing lately, but like my HL one for now.
          Steve
          Yeap! Thank you for that. I saw the Pershing too. And it's the one with the lowest price in the 3 digits :-) I need to put out some extra $ on the side to get the BTU and wheel bearing as recommended by R99. It's my first RC Tamiya built, so I can start with either 3. I will probably get 3 little pieces of papers. Write down the name on each and then pick 2 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
            Steve
            Best jump on the Pershing that Motion has because they have been discontinued for the foreseeable future. $899 with free shipping is a steal for an in the box unbuilt Pershing right now. I am tempted myself just to buy it and turn it for a profit!! They are becoming harder and harder to find.

The Pershing is arguably one of the best driving and fighting tanks Tamiya makes/made. So good I have two and a third sitting unbuilt to be used for spare parts over the next decade or two.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	E8DB6666-2D3D-4AEC-AEC4-733210383297.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	196.1 KB ID:	332632Click image for larger version  Name:	7016AB20-1D40-48A1-A305-FEA943C85F72.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	280.5 KB ID:	332631

Comment

Or this https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/56043.pdf

Comment

The M551 is not a good choice for a first Tamiya tank. It has very weak tracks that tend to break or come apart easily. This makes the tank limited in how and where it can be run safely and reliably. It is also limited in official “club type” IR battling to a light tank rating which from experience in order to survive must be driven aggressively and with the track issues this increases its handicapped.

Otherwise it is a rather easy build and when the tracks are working it is a super fun tank to drive.

Here is mine in late service desert theme. I learned the hard way about the design issues.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	4CE341EF-246C-46ED-B07B-5B42D2BE493B.jpeg
Views:	617
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	332637Click image for larger version

Name:	8FB10829-1AC3-4A03-A44F-C5CAD0FCD4E4.jpeg
Views:	593
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	332638Click image for larger version

Name:	07A0A558-D80D-4DDB-B84F-8B2CE2F9258D.jpeg
Views:	588
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	332639

Comment

Are there better after-market tracks for the M551?

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
                    Are there better after-market tracks for the M551?
                    Unfortunately there are not at this time.

Comment

Thank you all so far for your input. At this time, my first choice is the KT and 2nd is M26. For $683, the King tiger is a good tank to start for me. I have until Friday to finalize my thought :-)

Comment

Thank you all so far for your input. At this time, my first choice is the KT and 2nd is M26. For $683, the King tiger is a good tank to start for me. I have until Friday to finalize my thought :-)
                        Did you factor the shipping cost into the AAF price. It is typically $100 shipping to Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Did you factor the shipping cost into the AAF price. It is typically $100 shipping to Ca.
                          Ooops! I did not see that additional cost :-( Thank you for that! More reconsideration now :-) Does AAF sell the TBU too?

Comment

Ooops! I did not see that additional cost :-( Thank you for that! More reconsideration now :-) Does AAF sell the TBU too?
                            Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                              I can't find it. If you have time, can you show me the link?

Comment

Motion has the TBU's as well. https://www.motionrc.com/products/ta...-battle-system. Free shipping too.
                                Only 1 Pershing left. You know what they say. He who hesitates.......

Steve.

Comment

I can't find it. If you have time, can you show me the link?
                                  Just buy it directly from Tamiya USA off their website. It’s a few dollars more but you get it often next day. They are based in Irvine Ca.

Comment

Just buy it directly from Tamiya USA off their website. It’s a few dollars more but you get it often next day. They are based in Irvine Ca.
                                    SOLD OUT

Comment

SOLD OUT
                                      Might have to also check eBay. But do not buy one from Japan it will take months to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                                      X