Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sappo, I don't have a tensioner of my KV-1, it's an upgrade from originally a 5.3 version.

I haven't received the KV-1 vents yet, but the best solution I can foresee is taking a brass tube, fit it inside the vent fitting and putting a 45 degree bend in the tube so it will bypass the motor can. That smaller tube diameter may constrict the smoke on that side, but some is better than none!

Stephen, you are a trove of tips! I did the tail light to brake light mod on my Pershing. I use the tail light circuit to light up my LegoDEI IR receiver, so the back lights were sitting idle. So now every time I open up a tank I'll add that feature. Sherman, Bulldog & Abrams to start with.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Bob, David was the one who used brake light, I use rear light simply I don't have IR hooked up. BTW, I will try with 1/4" styrene tube first, much easier to manipulate, besides, brass is tough to get a tight right angle bend, at least not from anything in my toolbox, or skill, haha.

Comment

I'm thinking 45% might do the trick.

David, sorry didn't realize the brake light was your tip. Pretty cool!

Comment

Stephen, this is what I came up with:

A small diameter brass tube fits into the vent.
          Make a 45 degree bend in the tube Just put two metal rods inside and bend it all. It reduces the tendency to kink the tube.
          Put a larger brass tube over the smaller one.
          Put the fuel tubing over the brass.

I did this much per the photo to see if the smoke would go through. It did, using an old piston smoker. Of course, more smoke came out the other vent, the one without the brass.

HOWEVER! It still doesn't completely clear the motor can.

To actually make this work, some of the fitting will need to be cut off, basically the part that sticks out under the deck. It would have to be cut flush, or nearly so.

I won't do this yet, for two reasons. First, I want to check that the fan operated smoker I have on order will also blow the smoke through the small pipe. Second, if I could find a rubber tube with a small enough diameter, I could put that into the fitting and snake it down to where I can insert it into the larger fuel tubing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	339986

So, still thinking about it.

(PP has been sent.)

Comment

Bob, this might be over-thinking, I am actually thinking of blocking the bottom opening of the cast pipe, then drill a hole on its side (right below the index notch) and feed a brass tube in. We sure love challenges...

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
              Bob, this might be over-thinking, I am actually thinking of blocking the bottom opening of the cast pipe, then drill a hole on its side (right below the index notch) and feed a brass tube in. We sure love challenges...
              Yeah, I’d thought that too, it may come to that. We’ll get it to happen one way or mother.

Comment

SoCalBobS Some progress - without precision tools, safest hole I tried to drill is 3/32, 1/8 would be maxing out the intake sitting below the deck. Will probably plug the bottom opening + where the aluminum tube meets the exhaust with epoxy later. Took some time as I wanted to get the K&S variety pack to see what would work, and again, there's this thing called work....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0116[89766].jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	340253

Comment

You have the w word, I have the b. Actually, grand baby, 6 days old!

We don't let that get in the way though, do we? I worked a little bit today too.

I did that diagonal drilling you mentioned, and that tube clears the motor just fine. I'll be cutting into the vent at an angle so the brass tube will fit. I connected both tubes to the smoker and ran it up. Smoke coming out of the top looks spectacular! Well worth the tinkering.

Before I start drilling the vent, let me know if your setup clears the motor. I'll alter my plan accordingly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2256.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	340265

Also, I'm using silicone fuel tubing and I did something for the other vent. I drilled the deck to have the tubing fit through and pressed the vent directly into it. After seeing your photo, I put the right angle fitting into the deck hole, and the tubing onto the fitting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	340266

When this is done, the vents and tubes will be permanently attached, with the tubing just pressed onto the smoker.

Comment

Bob, I might be over-thinking this. What if we just open up the holes on the deck to 1/4" and fit the elbow flush to the top edge of the deck, and seat the exhaust into the elbow. I think that's what you said, right?

Name:	IMG_0118[89798].jpg
Views:	225
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	340272

Comment

Here's what I did. That brass tube you saw sticking out from the deck? I drilled and routed the vent to accept the tube. I have to plug the original venthole, and seal around the join so no smoke leaks out, but smoke billows out of both vents! you see a small amount of the tube, but with dirt and weathering it'll be pretty inconspicuous.

Name:	IMG_2257.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	340276

Comment

First of all, congrats to the new arrival! The kicking one... BTW, I ended up staying with the original route on the left side, i.e. use 3/32 aluminum tube perpendicular to the exhaust. Please excuse the hot glue mess, I wanted to be sure before making it more permanent.

There's really not much space on the left, I used hot glue to block the original input tip at the bottom, I had to make to nearly flush, otherwise, even a blop would cause a lift of the deck, so close to the left motor can.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0124[89811].jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	340288

If you look at the video in the link below, the left has less volume, as expected due to the input size. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-MQ...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I was concerned about the comparative volume too, which is why I elected to install the "diagonal pipe". Tube diameters are the same left & right. Fun stuff, enjoyed our cooperative effort!

Comment

Output is very nice Bob.

Comment

Small question, how do you put the drive shaft bearings in the kv1, all my other tanks the bearings just slipped in but the hole in the hull is too small on the kv1

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                I was concerned about the comparative volume too, which is why I elected to install the "diagonal pipe". Tube diameters are the same left & right. Fun stuff, enjoyed our cooperative effort!

Oops, I was cleaning up my Youtube videos, deleted this one. Instead, here are some photos of the smoke output from the deck vents. I'm using a stock Heng Long smoker, the one with two sets of wires, "mega steam" smoke fluid, and I positioned the smoke box so that gravity brought the fluid down reliably. I'm guessing a substantial part of the smoke problem is that the fluid just doesn't drip down well if there are bends in the tubes and fixtures.

Name:	KV-1E 19.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	341421

Name:	KV-1E 20.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	341422

Name:	KV-1E 21.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	341423

Comment

I have to redo mine since one of the tubes was slightly smaller, and it shows the restriction, + it clogs much easier. Finally got my plastic side panels on the Taigen T34, had to get those from Germany, who knew, but at least the shop was willing to sell those separately rather than the entire lower hull. added new #6 washers behind the arms, epoxy the side to the metal tub, braced all screw posts with aluminum tubes for the road wheels, the darn thing is as solid as it gets, hope she stays that way.

Comment

Working...
                                  X