X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging time for a Admiral 3500mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion Battery

So I bought this battery, thinking the charge time must be 6 hours with the HL supplied charger.. Because the charging time of the Heng Long stock supplied 2s 7.4v 1800mAh Li-Ion battery is 3 hours with the HL supplied charger. Am I right? I normally use only Ni-MH batteries, but these li ions are much smaller and easier to install. It is this battery:

2 Cell 7.4V Li-ion NCR 18650 3500mAh Battery with Tamiya Connector from Admiral - ADM6024-012 Assembled using high quality imported Taiwanese NCR 18650 cells, this Admiral Li-ion battery is intended as an upgrade battery for Heng Long tanks and other 2s powered surface vehicles with the pre-soldered Tamiya connector. D

Welcome Lazio. Those USB chargers do take a long time and are just not good chargers. If you are going to be very active in this hobby a better charger is a good thing. There are ones that can be used off house hold voltage (110VAC) or 12VDC like a car outlet or both. Make sure it's a LiPo or LiIon charger, most LiPo have multiple setting for NiCd, NiMh, Lead acid (motorcycle battery) LiPo, LiIon and LiFe. Then choose a charger that has a maximum output in voltage and ams appropriate for what you want. You have a 2 cell battery but if you start fly model airplanes or doing cars you may want a 4 or even 6 cell capable charger. If you want it to rechrge your lawn mower or motorcycled lead acid batter you'll need at least one rated for 4 cell LiPo (14V). For amps it depends on the mA rating of your battery. A small one like you have is okay with a 50Watt charger but a 100 or even 200 is not much more expensive.

I use my chargers for the LiPo's I use in my tanks as well as RC cars, airplane, helos and quads, to recharge lead acid batteries, to recharge the battery in my drill and my flashlights (LiIon). Since I do all that I need it to be able to do 1 cell up to 6 and I have them that do higher amps and work off both AC and DC.

I see you linked a Motion page for the battery. From Motion here is a decent multipurpose charger. SkyRC B6AC V2 50W 6 Cell (6S) AC/DC LiPo Battery Charger [SK-100008-01] Motion RC

That said they are available cheaper elsewhere. Example... FCONEGY B6 Lipo Battery Balance Charger 80W 6A Discharger for NiMH/NiCd (1-15S), LiPo/Li-ion/Life Battery (1-6S), RC Hobby Batteries Balance Charger With AC Power Supply : Toys & Games (amazon.com)

Let me add that there are sometimes really good deals for used chargers on the for sale forum here or at RC groups.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I use a Robitronic nimh 4000 mAh batterie as main battery and sometimes these Motionrc.com Admiral Li-Ion batteries, and am still looking for a good charger. I have to say though they are expensive. The reviews on Amazon are not that good, and it is out of stock. Since I live in Europe It is difficult to find a good nimh/ li-ion charger in Europe, and for the time being I continue to use the Heng Long stock charger, I never have problems with it.

And I use also a German made Ansmann NiMH charger. It is ok but not really good. it will not stop automatically and the Robitronic nimh 4000 mAh batterie takes 20+ hours to fully charge. I prefer Nimh for their safety and ease of use. The li-ion I use only when I make really long rides. Lipos I will never use, because of the danger of exploding. An interesting thread I found here: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...eng-long-tanks

Comment

Seen it. In my opinion there is a lot of borderline bad info there. Maybe better to say misleading. I use 2S LiPos in all mine, all MFU are 7’s except one 6 and can handle 2S, even 3S. 2S at full charge is 8.4 max. Safe. Do they need care in handling, storage and use, yeah but I have many dozens of them and know how to treat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          I use my chargers for the LiPo's I use in my tanks as well as RC cars, airplane, helos and quads, to recharge lead acid batteries, to recharge the battery in my drill and my flashlights (LiIon). Since I do all that I need it to be able to do 1 cell up to 6 and I have them that do higher amps and work off both AC and DC.

I see you linked a Motion page for the battery. From Motion here is a decent multipurpose charger. SkyRC B6AC V2 50W 6 Cell (6S) AC/DC LiPo Battery Charger [SK-100008-01] Motion RC

That said they are available cheaper elsewhere. Example... FCONEGY B6 Lipo Battery Balance Charger 80W 6A Discharger for NiMH/NiCd (1-15S), LiPo/Li-ion/Life Battery (1-6S), RC Hobby Batteries Balance Charger With AC Power Supply : Toys & Games (amazon.com)
          The total charge time is a function of the battery pack capacity, charge current and residual charge on the battery pack. Using the SkyRC IMAX B6 charger, I suggest a maximum charge current of 2 amperes for Lithium Ion packs. For battery life optimization, the B6 charger is programmed to stop when 2S Li-Ion reaches 8.2 volts which correspond to 2800 mAh of the Admiral pack. It takes less than 2 hours total.

I second the recommendation of the SkyRC IMAX B6 charger. It is one of the best economical multi-cell charger suitable for RC tank batteries. Do not get the cheaper off-brand B6 chargers which looks the same on the outside, but the software programming is all mess up.

For the HL 1:16 scale RC tanks, I use home made Lithium Ion packs because they have the best power density and is less likely to catch fire than the Li-Po pack. A 2 cells 26650 pack gives me 5000 mAh and a 4 cells 18650 6000 mAh power. Both pack fit the Heng Long battery compartment easily. In the picture below, you may also notice that I changed the battery plug from Tamiya plug to a more standard XT60 plug which is more secure. I do not like the Dean's plug which is hard to solder and disconnect.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1511.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	346208
          When you buy Lithium-Ion battery, avoid cheap low quality brands from China. Any seller advertising 18650 cell to be much higher than 3000 mAh or 26650 higher than 5000 mAh are for sure low quality imitation battery that will not hold much charge.

See post #4 of this thread. https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...eng-long-tanks

Comment

All good info. About connectors, the XT60 is a very common one and a good choice. There is a smaller version, the XT30 that will work in these tanks, at most the larger tanks with all the metal options and bigger motors you're looking at 12A max. The plain Jane ones with plastic treads are about 5-7A max. Deans, it's love them or hate them. I use a very specific clone T connector in my aircraft and tanks/ cars, etc, from 2S to 12S and fairly low powered to up to 200A. The ones I use are ribbed to make pulling them apart easier and they are super easy to do so. Soldering is also easy in my opinion but I soldered in the military and have a specific procedure. The thing with connectors is to use what you are comfortable with and if the connectors get hot find out why, are they inappropriate for the situation, not making a good connection or just worn out,

Comment

Working...
            X