Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    So more “toyish” than hobbyish.
    Honestly I would say blow for blow with henglong. Worst gearbox, better suspension.

Comment

I would hope that instead of claiming that he was beaten into submission, folks will appreciate his acceptance of customers desires in a positive manner.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

This was posted on the Coolbank FB thread. He said it was a future project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	638453F6-6AF9-4447-BDA8-7EA0F1F51C8B.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	360924

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post
          More pressure changed his tune.

We have plastic gearboxes, plastic suspension arms, torsion bar suspension and, adjustable idlers.

still no idea what the IR battle system is and he also states that more metal parts will come out in "phase 2"
          This is clearly just one of the prototype lower hulls🤞🤞 because if it is not I see a few issues.

One it is 3D printed and 3D printed lower tank hulls are known to be rather weak compared to the nylon type plastic hulls of HL tanks or toy market segment tanks.

Two there is NO battery box or access point for the battery which means taking the upper hull off to access the battery. Yet seeing he is using what appears to be HL like body & screw posts would indicate the hulls are screwed together? He might be using some type of latching method or magnets not seen in the photos, but that would be a poor idea given that this is a “toy” tank intended for kids. Giving a young child access to the internal workings of a “toy” is a recipe for....... well things to go wrong.

Third are the gearboxes. I recognize them and they have never been quality ..... parts. Let us hope the production tanks keep the mounting points for the HL transmission as Mr W has said would be included so the shown gearboxes can be replaced upon opening the box.

Like any tank there will be needed aftermarket changes to make these more durable and nothing I am seeing can’t be overcome and improved upon once we get these in our hands.

Comment

Yikes! Very good point regarding the battery access. That could be a major misstep. Also, it looks like the gearboxes are secured to the sidewalls, not the floor.

Comment

Here are a couple more photos he posted. The gearboxes are indeed side-mounted. However, there appear to be unused floor mounting posts. Maybe for future HL add-ons?

Name:	313421902_143402938447739_2570513543668329748_n.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	360929

There was another photo of gearboxes, but not of the same vehicle! Note the track tread pattern.

Name:	315022489_143402895114410_7819559565976097942_n.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	360930
              Post #43 may offer a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                Here are a couple more photos he posted. The gearboxes are indeed side-mounted. However, there appear to be unused floor mounting posts. Maybe for future HL add-ons?

Name:	313421902_143402938447739_2570513543668329748_n.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	360929

There was another photo of gearboxes, but not of the same vehicle! Note the track tread pattern.

Name:	315022489_143402895114410_7819559565976097942_n.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	360930
                Post #43 may offer a clue.

The second photo is the Centurion. Now I am bummed out 🙁 . I had much higher hope for the Centurion.

Comment

Well, posting photos of preproduction products is always a catch 22. I would say it has it's merits as people can give constructive criticism, but it is a pre production model. Lots of things are not in stone. I know this because I design products and it takes two or three years sometimes to work out the bugs. Most of my designs get some sort of redo about a year after the first production run. Is that my fault? No I don't take it personal. Lots of times it is taking customer suggestions that compromise the product. Usually, a customer that has already committed to buying the majority of the first production run. This guy might have the same issue. Certain customer wants a certain price point so that is who he is satisfying. Just saying give the guy a little wiggle room this may be his issue.
                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

As for the battery access it could be a hatch on the top or rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post
                      As for the battery access it could be a hatch on the top or rear.
                      Based on the photos of his upper hull there is no battery access hatch, it is clearly a one piece hull. Any hatch in the rear would only open up to the gearboxes and or smoke systems and not provide enough space to easily remove or insert a battery. Remember this is in his words a “toy” intended for children. In which case the battery access needs to be simple like HL or the newer Tamiya tanks.

Comment

I would hope that instead of claiming that he was beaten into submission, folks will appreciate his acceptance of customers desires in a positive manner.
                        I'm hoping that if he truly targets the toy market like HL did in the beginning that he offers upgrades and/or makes the tanks less toylike in the future after making enough money to support doing so. I just won't be a guinea pig on this one.

Comment

I asked CoolBank about the battery access issue. Here's his reply:

"Yes, if you want to replace the battery, you must loosen a few screws to remove the upper cover, but if it is just charging? You can directly use the charging head on the power switch."

I'm not sure what he means by a charging head on the power switch. In any event after 25 years in the r/c hobby, I'd be reluctant to charge a LiIon battery in a vehicle, especially without using a balance tap. And knowing that the constant tightening and loosening of screws will eventually break the plastic posts, I think magnets will have to be the solution. I'm going to try this shape. It should fit into the posts after I drill out 3/16" holes. I'll test it on my Heng Long tanks and let you know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-10 092818.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.8 KB ID:	361018
                          ​I'm ordering these from "K&J Magnetics" online. Lots of goodies there!

Comment

I asked CoolBank about the battery access issue. Here's his reply:

"Yes, if you want to replace the battery, you must loosen a few screws to remove the upper cover, but if it is just charging? You can directly use the charging head on the power switch."

I'm not sure what he means by a charging head on the power switch. In any event after 25 years in the r/c hobby, I'd be reluctant to charge a LiIon battery in a vehicle, especially without using a balance tap. And knowing that the constant tightening and loosening of screws will eventually break the plastic posts, I think magnets will have to be the solution. I'm going to try this shape. It should fit into the posts after I drill out 3/16" holes. I'll test it on my Heng Long tanks and let you know.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-10 092818.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	361018
                            ​I'm ordering these from "Evan Design" online. Lots of goodies there!
                            Why did you go and ask him, now he will have to redesign the hull for battery access and it will then not be ready for purchasing in December... LOL!!! Dang engineers always forget the simplest most obvious things and then make the fix more complicated.

Adding an external power charging “jack” somewhere on the tank to charge a LiPoly or Li-Ion battery that is sealed inside the hull? I can’t see anything going wrong there (being sarcastic). Now with NiMH batteries that is a reasonable safe thing and I have a few tanks set up that way.

We have to remember its only intended to be a “toy” for young kids not a hobby grade tank for the enthusiast and we should only judge it as Mr W says “as a toy” not intended for us. It’s going to need a bunch of modification and upgrade work if it arrives as shown in the photos being posted online.

Comment

Hey, a challenge is always fun! I can thinks of posters in the past saying they immediately modified their tanks to use magnets because it was "better". Well, here's an opportunity! Seriously though, literally every single one of my tanks has been modified to some point or another. As far as charging, CB's isn't a new idea. For instance, my Mato M36 came with a charging jack to charge the lithium poly battery inside! Lipo! What were they thinking? That's not gonna happen.

Comment

I just take the tops off. Rarely are my hulls screwed together. My DKlM m60 the upper hull slides forward as there are tabs that it latches on with man
                                gents on the bow top and bottom.
                                the Sherman’s just hold together well without screws.
                                the leopard 1a7 I just set it together no screws as well as the Merkava. I drive them pretty hard and haven’t had a problem so far.

if his hull is strong, one could easily just use two opposing corner screws to hold it together.

but charging in the tank, I don’t like to do that, like Bob said.
                                RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I will agree that I won't charge my batteries inside the tank. I magnetize most of my tanks unless they already have a Taigen quick release system that is still viable with the mods I do.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                                    I’ve now had some back and forth communication with Mr Wang privately.
                                    he is very stuck on the toy market aspect of his m60s and a price point of $200 ish.
                                    he has told me they are not hobby grade and based on what he says they are going to be all plastic and much cheaper in quality than the current line of henglong tanks.
                                    Im starting to get a bad feeling out the M60 model quality.
                                    I am very interested in a RTR M60. If Coolbank does not cut corner too much, a sturdy ABS tank chassis like the Heng Long's has much potential for upgrade. It will appeal to DIYers like me. A toy market level price is a nice bonus.

It took Heng Long many years to build their hobbyist market share. I have a 2005 Pershing. HL had the foresight to not cut corner on the tank chassis integrity, suspension and gearbox mounting. My early metal upgrade looked good, ran well with the 5.3 version RC. But the overall result was not good enough because the Mato sourced metal track kept breaking even on smooth indoor floor. Last year (2021), I completed a 3rd upgrade of the 2005 Pershing with HL 6.0s RC system, Heng Xin gearbox, Tamiya 380 motor and the HL metal track. Earlier this year, I further improved the HL metal track with small rubber blocks. The latest upgraded Pershing still does not look as good as with the Mato track, but it runs super well even on grass lawn which is more difficult than dirt road. I give Heng Long full credit for their product foresight. I sure got my money's worth on the 2005 Pershing.
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.7 KB ID:	361103

Comment

Honestly I have no problems with an internal battery and charging via an external jack, IF the charging circuit is good.

A 20A 7.4V BMS is like $20 for single purchase, in bulk it can be a lot cheaper.

So if this tank turns out to be running 2 18650's in series hooked up to a BMS I don't see a problem, that's how laptops charge, cellphones, personal E-vheicles so on an so forth. But, if it's just a basic wall charger running straight to the batteries then yes that's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                                        I will definitely do so for both. My 2 HL Pershing really need the longer barrels with the correct muzzle brakes.
                                        I ordered the Pershing Metal Barrel with recoil-It just arrived, Its allot longer than the stock barrel, although the muzzle break appears to be the same.

Toucan-China Fleabay

Comment

The stock barrel is actually too short so the longer one is probably more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                                          X