X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFU options for Heng Long tanks

I searched and found a thread that Alpha started a long time ago, regarding the different main boards available, but didn't see any followup on it. I started searching myself mostly to see what I can do to get better audio (not necessarily better sounding audio, but better tank sounds) and I was still looking to see what my options might be to get gun stabilization on the HL Abrams. On top of that, I'd like to keep the existing radio... Anyway, here's what I have come up with so far for information.

Heng Long 7.1 MFU:
    Looks to have the same sound sets as the 7.0 MFU, but has servo outputs. Should work with the 7.0 transmitter, and all original equipment but has the options to add servo recoil, and servo elevation (among other options).
    Specification: Brand: Henglong Item Condition: New Suitable for: RC Tank Model The package option is selected by yourself. If you are not sure whether it is the correct item you want, please contact us before placing an order.

TK16 MFU:
    Difficult to tell the sound sets this one has. I've seen some vids where the sound sets are better and others where there is no real difference. This one is supposed to match the stabilizer (per Toucan) but appears to need a separate RX in the tank, needing an entire radio system. This one also appears to not be limited to servo outputs, but can work with the original equipment in a Heng Long tank out of the box.
    The Package Includes: The package option is selected by yourself We have a wide range of 1/16 RC hobby tank parts, you almost could find most desired accessories on market from us, and we had refited a variety of rc tanks for our customers. If you have any questions, welcome to contact me.

CanShuo 6.1 MFU:
    Not a lot of info on this unit, I do see it available on ebay and Toucan's site. Appears to work with the 6.0S TX, or the CanShuo TX. Has a bit of a better sound set on it from what I can tell. I do not know if this works with the 7.0 TX. I do not know if this will work with the stabilizer.

Heng Long SWB:
    The gun stabilizer unit. Few vids online show it works well but not a lot of info out there as to what it works with. Toucan tells me this works with the TK16 MFU only. One schematic I found appears to show it has servo output on the elevation, but should work with the standard rotation motor however the high speed motor is recommended.
    The Package Includes: The package option is selected by yourself We have a wide range of 1/16 RC hobby tank parts, you almost could find most desired accessories on market from us, and we had refited a variety of rc tanks for our customers. If you have any questions, welcome to contact me.

I realize there are other options as well, but they seem to start creeping higher and higher in price and require a separate TX/RX system which not only adds cost but if you need a TX for each tank, can significantly add cost. On top of all this... I suppose I do have enough tanks to test these out. Each is more or less a different case, but the 2 I'd like to start with are the Abrams and the Pershing. The Abrams of course I'd like to see stabilization in but I'd also like better Abrams turbine sounds, and the Pershing needs a better sound set just anyway.

Clay

Try the Clark boards. I have two and I like them. I only buy the S bus version. I can use one transmitter for both, but you have to know how to program your transmitter, which is a hurdle for some people. The TK 50 and up can program sounds. I think you can use your own even, but again you need the programming cord to do that which is an added expense. The Clark Boards are Tamiya compatible, so for gaming they are better and more rules compliant. I know there are some Clark haters out there, but I have not had any issues. Again mine are S-bus so that might make a difference.
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Now of course there is the Clark brand of MFUs. I think these really bring you up in the price bracket though, however with the addition of more options.

They definitely have a lot of good sound sets, and I'm seeing options for things like Neutral which is kind of cool. Looks like you can manually change the sound set perhaps if there is a better one built, or if you swap it to a different body. But, you do need a radio system to go with it again adding to the pricing.

Seems to be that even this aspect is just another rabbit hole to dive into!

Clay

Comment

quitcherbitchen, I think you posted at the same time I was typing this morning! I happened to come across a video of the Pershing sounds on a Clark, with the Ford GAA, and man that's cool.

Transmitter programming seems to be the way things are now. I use FrSky with my planes, and it's one of those things where it's great because it can do everything, and it is difficult because you have to program it to do everything! I have used FlySky in the past and although it worked well enough we had some signal issues, which would not be a problem with a ground vehicle like a tank.

I may just have to test out a Clark in my Pershing. So far that's the "simplest" tank I am ready to swap MFUs in, and the hull seems to have enough space for whatever is needed internally. We'll see how this goes but I am also hoping that we can have info available on the other Heng Long / CanShuo boards since there doesn't seem to be a lot out there.

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by ccarley View Post
          I searched and found a thread that Alpha started a long time ago, regarding the different main boards available, but didn't see any followup on it. I started searching myself mostly to see what I can do to get better audio (not necessarily better sounding audio, but better tank sounds) and I was still looking to see what my options might be to get gun stabilization on the HL Abrams. On top of that, I'd like to keep the existing radio... Anyway, here's what I have come up with so far for information.

Heng Long 7.1 MFU:
          Looks to have the same sound sets as the 7.0 MFU, but has servo outputs. Should work with the 7.0 transmitter, and all original equipment but has the options to add servo recoil, and servo elevation (among other options).
          https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...9ea12ffc&_ss=r

TK16 MFU:
          Difficult to tell the sound sets this one has. I've seen some vids where the sound sets are better and others where there is no real difference. This one is supposed to match the stabilizer (per Toucan) but appears to need a separate RX in the tank, needing an entire radio system. This one also appears to not be limited to servo outputs, but can work with the original equipment in a Heng Long tank out of the box.
          https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...42912855294202

CanShuo 6.1 MFU:
          Not a lot of info on this unit, I do see it available on ebay and Toucan's site. Appears to work with the 6.0S TX, or the CanShuo TX. Has a bit of a better sound set on it from what I can tell. I do not know if this works with the 7.0 TX. I do not know if this will work with the stabilizer.
          https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...mainboard-dzn1

Heng Long SWB:
          The gun stabilizer unit. Few vids online show it works well but not a lot of info out there as to what it works with. Toucan tells me this works with the TK16 MFU only. One schematic I found appears to show it has servo output on the elevation, but should work with the standard rotation motor however the high speed motor is recommended.
          https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...42912855326970

I realize there are other options as well, but they seem to start creeping higher and higher in price and require a separate TX/RX system which not only adds cost but if you need a TX for each tank, can significantly add cost. On top of all this... I suppose I do have enough tanks to test these out. Each is more or less a different case, but the 2 I'd like to start with are the Abrams and the Pershing. The Abrams of course I'd like to see stabilization in but I'd also like better Abrams turbine sounds, and the Pershing needs a better sound set just anyway.

Clay
          One can also use full Tamiya DMD/MFUs in HL tanks which then also allows for use of the excellent Tamiya battle systems. I have several HL tanks that have been converted over to Tamiya control systems.

Its not the cheapest route but it is the most reliable when it comes to tank operations (battling, driving, start stop...) and simplicity of installation and use. Tamiyas are easy to set up in the HL “stick” configuration and can have one touch button firing. With the newer DMD 11s you can even have full servo recoil and elevation.

Comment

quitcherbitchen, I think you posted at the same time I was typing this morning! I happened to come across a video of the Pershing sounds on a Clark, with the Ford GAA, and man that's cool.

Transmitter programming seems to be the way things are now. I use FrSky with my planes, and it's one of those things where it's great because it can do everything, and it is difficult because you have to program it to do everything! I have used FlySky in the past and although it worked well enough we had some signal issues, which would not be a problem with a ground vehicle like a tank.

I may just have to test out a Clark in my Pershing. So far that's the "simplest" tank I am ready to swap MFUs in, and the hull seems to have enough space for whatever is needed internally. We'll see how this goes but I am also hoping that we can have info available on the other Heng Long / CanShuo boards since there doesn't seem to be a lot out there.

Clay
            I had issues getting my FrSky Q X7 to work with my Clark boards so I have switched over to the Flysky FS-i6S and had zero issues. Another person on the UK forum had issues with the Turnigy version of the FS-i6S because the firmware is slightly different than the Flysky version. These are known incompatibilities with Clark boards. This is a list from Clark's website that he says works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	876
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	362419

Comment

tank_me, so you do like that FlySky FS-i6S radio?

It seems with the support, and knowledge, the Clark boards might be the way to go for added function and better sounds. I see on the Clark site that there is an option for the Gun Barrel Stabilizer as well. It would be awesome to have an easily searchable list of the sound sets that these boards have for each tank model they support... I am thinking my Pershing is a good candidate to go through a conversion.

Clay

Comment

tank_me, so you do like that FlySky FS-i6S radio?

It seems with the support, and knowledge, the Clark boards might be the way to go for added function and better sounds. I see on the Clark site that there is an option for the Gun Barrel Stabilizer as well. It would be awesome to have an easily searchable list of the sound sets that these boards have for each tank model they support... I am thinking my Pershing is a good candidate to go through a conversion.

Clay
                I would say it's not a high end radio, but it doesn't have a high end price either. For the price it has a nice heft and feel. Battery life is pretty good also although it is AA battery driven. I haven't used rechargeables in mine, but I may try them in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the info Tank_me!

Clay

Comment

I'm getting ready to order with dakrctanks. I'd like to just make sure I'm getting all that I need.

Clark TK50 board
                    FlySky TX/RX system
                    High power IR emitter
                    ...and the Apple?

I don't mind cutting/soldering wires but I don't know what else may be needed. I hesitate to get into a project without having everything on hand. I see older documentation stating a volume control may be needed, is that still true with the TK50? Not that it matters, it appears those are out of stock but it looks simple enough to make if needed.

Thanks,
                    Clay

Comment

I'm getting ready to order with dakrctanks. I'd like to just make sure I'm getting all that I need.

Clark TK50 board
                      FlySky TX/RX system
                      High power IR emitter
                      ...and the Apple?

I don't mind cutting/soldering wires but I don't know what else may be needed. I hesitate to get into a project without having everything on hand. I see older documentation stating a volume control may be needed, is that still true with the TK50? Not that it matters, it appears those are out of stock but it looks simple enough to make if needed.

Thanks,
                      Clay
                      Make sure if you are going to use a Clark control system that you get the IR receiver for Clark/Tamiya not the Henglong one. Totally different power rating and wire arrangement.

Comment

I would recommend a cable that regulates the sound as I've blown the little HL speakers with my TK50 board. I typically run better speakers with them though like the Visaton FRS7S. I use the Taigen version and you only need the volume control, but as you said it's sold out: https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...card-cable-set

The "apple" can be had a little cheaper than Kenny sells it if you buy directly from LegoDEI on Etsy. Sorry can't link it as Etsy is blocked here at work. As Rubicon said, there are two versions of the apple - one for Tamiya/Clark/IBU and one for HL boards. For Clark you need the Tamiya version.

You may or may not want the TBU (Tamiya Battle Unit) base: https://dakrctank.com/shop/tbu-base/
                        I print my own bases from the free files on Thingiverse and then do my own wiring because I can adjust the height by just cutting some of it off: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4384598

I ordered a connector set like this one that has the common connectors like JSTs and Dupont (servo connector type) in case I need to rewire any connectors. IMO the crimper is crap and I usually just end up soldering the ends on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Not sure why, but the Clark boards use a smaller Micro JST MX 1.25 2Pins Connector Plug ​for the IR bulb socket. It's the only odd connector on the board that is not in the kit I bought so I bought some prewired ones and just splice it in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I have so many tanks I typically buy multiples of things to prepare for projects so I can save on shipping costs.

Comment

Thanks guys,

This is some great info for someone just starting out for sure! I very much appreciate the links to the bits & pieces.

Clay

Comment

Here’s the wiring schematic for the TK16 board. Just in case somebody needs it
                            Wayne

Comment

The new TK26 board and transmitter look pretty interesting and I know a few people that have started using them. Lot's of features to....seems like a good candidate for those who do not want to spend the $$ for a Clark, etc. Pretty much plug and play for Heng Long and a good upgrade from the 7.0 with it's limited sound options. The motherboard and transmitter combo runs under $100 delivered from I'm seeing. Short test / function video from DKLMRC here: https://youtu.be/Ikk6aOPXyDs

Comment

Hello, I want to add a gun stabilization to my Heng Long Leopard. What is the easiest way? I have the HL 7.1 TCU in the mail, but I am told it won't work, however there is a new video on YOUTUBE that says you can. I can't really find a solid answer so far. Thanks.

Motherboard:Heng long TK-7.1 High voltage flash deviceFire smoke device for tanksHandcrafted engine smoke devicehorizontal gyroscopevertical gyroscopegel lau...

VR

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage Racer View Post
                                  Hello, I want to add a gun stabilization to my Heng Long Leopard. What is the easiest way? I have the HL 7.1 TCU in the mail, but I am told it won't work, however there is a new video on YOUTUBE that says you can. I can't really find a solid answer so far. Thanks.

Motherboard:Heng long TK-7.1 High voltage flash deviceFire smoke device for tanksHandcrafted engine smoke devicehorizontal gyroscopevertical gyroscopegel lau...

VR
                                  You do understand that the Leopard in the video has been upgraded to servo recoil and servo elevation. "Gyrostabilized" barrels require a servo operating the elevation. The stock HL elevation system is not responsive enough.

So there is no easy way, you will need to do a bit of work prior to attempting to add the stabilization system.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage Racer View Post

VR
                                    What is "gun stabilization"? The mass of the BB is so small that there is no real recoil.

The HL Leopard 2A6 which has a ridiculous tank body shaking recoil from factory. In MFU 6.0 and higher, the body shaking recoil can be easily turned off. I changed it to barrel recoil using the cheap HL metal barrel recoil BB shooting unit. No change of MFU is necessary.
                                    A few days ago, I posted on a Heng Long Metal Barrel Recoil BB shooting unit for 3838 Pershing upgrade kit that I purchased for my 2005 Snow Leopard. I said that over 18 years, HL changed the cannon mantle mounting plate enough that the kit does not fit my Pershing. I contact the Toucan seller (build-for-u) to request a return.

Comment

I plan on adding this also... Which the guy from Heng Long confirmed will work with a 7.1 board.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Metal Barrel Recoil Refit System W/ Servo for HengLong 1/16 Scale Tank Model at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

What is "gun stabilization"?
                                        I'm not sure if you watched the video that I had posted a link to. It basically mimics the actual gun stabilization on the real Abrams and the Leopard 2. This has absolutely nothing to do with shooting BB's.

VR

Comment

Working...
                                        X