You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale AS350 Alpine Yellow and Red 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the feedback and answers to my questions. This is more like the "responsive to customers" MotionRC that I have grown to know and love! Since discovering you guys in the fall of 2017, I've placed 33 orders totalling more than $8K on helis, planks and various spares and accessories. And to further show my support, I've also purchased several of your T-shirts and ball caps swag as well, and I wear them proudly! (I am currently wearing one of my MotionRC black T-shirts.)

[SOAPBOX]
    I just hope that in your efforts to bring out so many new products so quickly, you will NOT end up spreading yourselves too thinly. Note that when it comes to heli pilots, choice of flybarless controllers (FBL) its almost like religion - there are die-hard fans to each of a variety of makes - e.g. Mikado VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON, Spirit, MicroBeast, Skookum and yes, even the Tarot ZYX-S2. (I'm in the last camp - but I like IKON as well.) When you offer/force just one brand of FBL with these helis, (e.g. MicroBeast), you are alienating all non-MicroBeast heli enthusiasts - and there are a lot of them - (the most popular ones right now are probably VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON and Spirit). If you offer the non-FBL version, you will hook many more potential buyers - (in a manner similar to your new AL-37 - I'm betting that many of the sales are for the generic all-white version). Just Sayin'!
    [/SOAPBOX]

I just now went and ordered a new UH-1A to complete my collection. As I said before, I currently have five of the six Rotorscale 450 models (with 3 still in boxes and 2 in my workbench INBOX). I still plan on eventually doing an in-depth RotorScale review and "build" video, but I operate at only one of two speeds: SLOW or STOPPED!

Thanks once again for providing such very cool toys for all us boys (and girls) of all ages!
    Jeff Roberson
    Austin, UT

Comment

Thanks Jeff, that's excellent feedback.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
        Thank you for the feedback and answers to my questions. This is more like the "responsive to customers" MotionRC that I have grown to know and love! Since discovering you guys in the fall of 2017, I've placed 33 orders totalling more than $8K on helis, planks and various spares and accessories. And to further show my support, I've also purchased several of your T-shirts and ball caps swag as well, and I wear them proudly! (I am currently wearing one of my MotionRC black T-shirts.)

[SOAPBOX]
        I just hope that in your efforts to bring out so many new products so quickly, you will NOT end up spreading yourselves too thinly. Note that when it comes to heli pilots, choice of flybarless controllers (FBL) its almost like religion - there are die-hard fans to each of a variety of makes - e.g. Mikado VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON, Spirit, MicroBeast, Skookum and yes, even the Tarot ZYX-S2. (I'm in the last camp - but I like IKON as well.) When you offer/force just one brand of FBL with these helis, (e.g. MicroBeast), you are alienating all non-MicroBeast heli enthusiasts - and there are a lot of them - (the most popular ones right now are probably VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON and Spirit). If you offer the non-FBL version, you will hook many more potential buyers - (in a manner similar to your new AL-37 - I'm betting that many of the sales are for the generic all-white version). Just Sayin'!
        [/SOAPBOX]

I just now went and ordered a new UH-1A to complete my collection. As I said before, I currently have five of the six Rotorscale 450 models (with 3 still in boxes and 2 in my workbench INBOX). I still plan on eventually doing an in-depth RotorScale review and "build" video, but I operate at only one of two speeds: SLOW or STOPPED!

Thanks once again for providing such very cool toys for all us boys (and girls) of all ages!
        Jeff Roberson
        Austin, UT
        can you post some pictures up of the ones you have. I’m looking to get the one of the md500 variants. I would love to see a build video.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshot19 View Post

can you post some pictures up of the ones you have. I’m looking to get the one of the md500 variants. I would love to see a build video.
          The two I had been flying; the Airwolf B222 and AS-350 have been in my shop inbox for many months. Don't have any recent photos but here are a few (non-scale) videos I took last summer...

The AS-350 in my backyard:

The B222 at a scenic stop along I-70 on a trip back from Colorado:

And here is another backyard flight of my Tarot Sport V1 flying at low headspeed (the original RotorScale 450s were using these mecahnics)

All of these helis were fitted with the Tarot ZYX-S2 FBL. As I said, the other three are still new, sitting pristine in their original shipping boxes. Last summer, my main computer died which put a damper on my enthusiasm. I have yet to resurrect another computer to install my video editing software to allow me to get back to "work".

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a matching touch up paint for the alpine yellow?

My paint is flaking really bad in spots.

Comment

BWR The factory uses a two stage automotive paint that they custom mix, so matching the sheen will be difficult. Matching the color though is easy though --take a small piece (such as the horizontal stabilizer fins) to Home Depot or your local hardware store, and ask them to color match it. They'll have a scanning machine there that outputs a color recipe. Order a small test pint of paint, interior acrylic high gloss, for a few dollars.

Another option if you want to use conventional model paint is Testors Yellow, but it's not perfectly exact.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha Have the 3DP parts for the exhaust been completed yet?

Comment

I received my A-star today. Looks like a great model - fuse was in great condition and the windows arent as dark as the original. Removed the mechanics to check everything over prior to maiden. I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? I probably will use epoxy. Also, looking for a scale exhaust 3d print file. This is the exhaust that came on the fuse.

Comment

Just got this helicopter delivered today. I want to remove the body and check all bolts/add threadlock. Looks like you just remove the tail piece and the 4 bolts on the bottom? But then it also appears the tail slider assembly had to come off? Hoping I don't need to remove the belt as that is PITA. Can someone please tell me the suggested process to remove the body? Seems like aside from the tail slider part, it should be pretty easy?

Comment

Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
                      I received my A-star today. Looks like a great model - fuse was in great condition and the windows arent as dark as the original. Removed the mechanics to check everything over prior to maiden. I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? I probably will use epoxy. Also, looking for a scale exhaust 3d print file. This is the exhaust that came on the fuse.
                      Yeah, I noticed the loose skids also. Have not checked the parts bag yet but wonder if there is something in there used to fasten these?

Comment

Originally posted by bpjacobsen View Post

Yeah, I noticed the loose skids also. Have not checked the parts bag yet but wonder if there is something in there used to fasten these?
                        Good idea. I didn't check the bag yet. I maidened the mechanics yesterday and they flew well for the most part. Been having a ton of tail issues with the Rotorscale Huey but was glad to see this one maiden well.

To remove the mechanics, remove the tail rotor and slider. No need to remove the belt - just slip it off the tail rotor drive gear. I checked all the bolts on mine and they all had thread lock. But no grease in the head at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
                          ... I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? ...
                          I use a small piece of duct tape on each one. BTW - this part is quite fragile so be sure to land carefully!

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                            I use a small piece of duct tape on each one. BTW - this part is quite fragile so be sure to land carefully!
                            It sure is. I had to reinforce the Huey fuselage because of this issue. Not the best design

Comment

Hi everyone, new here. FYI just received my rotorscale as350 about 2 weeks ago. The main rotor head was garbage. Had a bunch of radial slop and the blades just drooped. Long story short found a variety of rotor heads on ebay and Banggood. Purchased a really nice Tarot silver colored cnc head, not DFC and also bought their swashplate. Looks awesome and the blades are now about a quarter inch lower which IMO looks better as well. Have a tarot metal control arm and slider for the tail rotor assembly on the way as I'm not a fan of the plastic there. Been trying to fire up this bird now using a Horizon Hobby hc6250 flight controller I purchased about a year ago. Cannot get it to work for nothing. Updated the firmware in the FC and receiver but no better. Gave up on the damn thing and am trying to decide on a Bavarian Demon Axon or Ikon2 in aluminum case. I love the looks of this heli but dread the thought of crashing it. I waited a year for this one from MRC. Saw a couple of vids by guys in Utah and it looks great in the air. Right now I will be happy just to get mine in a hover. Hope everyone is well and having good luck with their rotorscales.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                                Hi everyone, new here. FYI just received my rotorscale as350 about 2 weeks ago. The main rotor head was garbage. Had a bunch of radial slop and the blades just drooped. Long story short found a variety of rotor heads on ebay and Banggood. Purchased a really nice Tarot silver colored cnc head, not DFC and also bought their swashplate. Looks awesome and the blades are now about a quarter inch lower which IMO looks better as well. Have a tarot metal control arm and slider for the tail rotor assembly on the way as I'm not a fan of the plastic there. Been trying to fire up this bird now using a Horizon Hobby hc6250 flight controller I purchased about a year ago. Cannot get it to work for nothing. Updated the firmware in the FC and receiver but no better. Gave up on the damn thing and am trying to decide on a Bavarian Demon Axon or Ikon2 in aluminum case. I love the looks of this heli but dread the thought of crashing it. I waited a year for this one from MRC. Saw a couple of vids by guys in Utah and it looks great in the air. Right now I will be happy just to get mine in a hover. Hope everyone is well and having good luck with their rotorscales.
                                I had a similar head issue with my RS Huey. Replaced the stock head with the Tarot. Check out the Huey thread for more info. Still waiting to put the mechanics back in the fuselage of mine. I am one flight away from having everything dialed in.

Comment

Have you had any vibration issues or shaking with the Huey? I'm at a point where I have so much vibration and shaking that IMO this thing is not air worthy. I'm not the only one that faced this problem. Going to attempt to replace the mechanics with an Oxy 4 Sport. If I cannot pull that off then I'm at a dead end. With the new tarot rotor head it looks beautiful and will make a great shelf queen. Also noticed that the supplied motor is a significant source of vibration.

Comment

Have you had any vibration issues or shaking with the Huey? I'm at a point where I have so much vibration and shaking that IMO this thing is not air worthy. I'm not the only one that faced this problem. Going to attempt to replace the mechanics with an Oxy 4 Sport. If I cannot pull that off then I'm at a dead end. With the new tarot rotor head it looks beautiful and will make a great shelf queen. Also noticed that the supplied motor is a significant source of vibration.
                                    So how much experience do you have with scale helis?? Scale helis are alot of work and usually will never be close to perfect out of the box, did you balance your blades, tracking has to be dead on, the right headspeed is very important too, there is just so many things you have to get right before you can really enjoy flying one, sometimes you have to strip one down and rebuild the whole thing again and check tightness of all the bolts, tail blades sometimes can be out of balance as well, main blades way to tight can be an issue, tail blades to tight can be an issue too, when you say vibes, is your skids shaking?, head wobble?, the whole thing vibrating?, got a video??

Comment

So how much experience do you have with scale helis?? Scale helis are alot of work and usually will never be close to perfect out of the box, did you balance your blades, tracking has to be dead on, the right headspeed is very important too, there is just so many things you have to get right before you can really enjoy flying one, sometimes you have to strip one down and rebuild the whole thing again and check tightness of all the bolts, tail blades sometimes can be out of balance as well, main blades way to tight can be an issue, tail blades to tight can be an issue too, when you say vibes, is your skids shaking?, head wobble?, the whole thing vibrating?, got a video??

Thanks for the response. Been in helis a little over a year now and this is my first scale. Pulled out the mechanics and noted several loose m1.5s. Purchased a good set of drivers, LYNX ball link pliers and had other tools already. Tightened everything in sight. To answer your questions, skids are shaking, head is wobbling and yes the whole thing is shaking. Am holding it in my left hand well above my head and controller DX8g2 on the bench. Replaced the main rotor head as it had a ton of radial slop and put in new swashplate, all Tarot. Removed the main blades and still have a lot of vibration especially if I hold it at an angle. Seems I can increase or decrease vibration depending on what angle I hold it. I did not balance the main blades so that could be a factor but vibration and noise is still severe without the main blades. Put it on the ground and spool up to maybe half throttle and you can see the tail vibrating. Was in contact with another guy who had the MD 500 and he had similar issues including a wobble he could never solve. Told me he finally gave up and installed his Trex 450 in the fuse and now it fly's great. I'm at this point now, I would love to get this thing flying well, even my neighbor is asking when I will have that cool yellow helicopter flying. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Been in helis a little over a year now and this is my first scale. Pulled out the mechanics and noted several loose m1.5s. Purchased a good set of drivers, LYNX ball link pliers and had other tools already. Tightened everything in sight. To answer your questions, skids are shaking, head is wobbling and yes the whole thing is shaking. Am holding it in my left hand well above my head and controller DX8g2 on the bench. Replaced the main rotor head as it had a ton of radial slop and put in new swashplate, all Tarot. Removed the main blades and still have a lot of vibration especially if I hold it at an angle. Seems I can increase or decrease vibration depending on what angle I hold it. I did not balance the main blades so that could be a factor but vibration and noise is still severe without the main blades. Put it on the ground and spool up to maybe half throttle and you can see the tail vibrating. Was in contact with another guy who had the MD 500 and he had similar issues including a wobble he could never solve. Told me he finally gave up and installed his Trex 450 in the fuse and now it fly's great. I'm at this point now, I would love to get this thing flying well, even my neighbor is asking when I will have that cool yellow helicopter flying. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
                                        Your welcome, I'm down with the virus right now so my response may be slow, I just get up and read a few post and go back to bed, but I will try to help along the way, message me and well get to know each other and share phone numbers and then we can go from there, I will post what I can and what I know here but sometimes you get to many opinions and who is right or wrong. First thing, get the mechanics out of the fuselage and build some skids or something for it to sit on and is stable, next, take your main blades and get those balanced or replace them with better ones, tracking and balancing blades is a must, learn it first, it will save you lots of headaches, see I told you it is complicated., can you post pics on here??

Comment

• Been flying my AS350 since yesterday and really enjoying it. It so cool looking up in the air. Even did some inverted, though I don't plan to do much more than scale/sport flying. Afterall it's a scale model, no point in beating it to death and risking a catastrophic crash. Anyway, I was wondering if this heli would work with a 1550 5s battery or an 1800 mah 6s? The listing on M r/c says 4s but the begininng of this thread says 6s. Is the motor and esc capable of handling 5 and 6s? right now I'm flying it with a 1500 4s and it's a little tail heavy since it drifts backwards when I leave it in a hover.

Comment

Working...
                                          X