You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale AS350 Alpine Yellow and Red 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldog
    replied
    Was just on MRC website. The rotorscale line has a significant price increase. The yellow AS350 was $339 and now $419.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
    Found it easy to find good replacement parts for all the crap that was on the this helicopter. Yes it cost some money. The problem I see now is the fuse. If I smack this thing up, there is no place to buy the fuse or the front or back only. MRC has been out of stock on the fuse replacement parts forever that I can recall. Only other option is to buy another kit for $352.00 delivered and you better do it before they run out of stock because it could be a least a year before they are back in inventory. As I said above I heard they may be discontinuing the RotorScale line. Looking at the bright side, its a beautiful looking shelf queen.
    Amazon has some fuses that should work with these and not bad pricing either. Not sure if the quality is as good since they don't appear to be Roban but how bad can it be?

https://smile.amazon.com/Helicopter-...129053&sr=8-21

https://smile.amazon.com/Helicopter-...129099&sr=8-55

https://smile.amazon.com/Helicopter-...8Q7WN1NQ&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Helicopter-...8Q7HPKYQ&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Helicopter-...8NVW7YNB&psc=1

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Can somebody send send me a link 2A good DFC option?? I'm definitely replacing this head On both of mine. I saw a couple of them at Amazon that Seemed pretty decent I don't really want to spend more than 40 bucks On a head if I can help it

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Found it easy to find good replacement parts for all the crap that was on the this helicopter. Yes it cost some money. The problem I see now is the fuse. If I smack this thing up, there is no place to buy the fuse or the front or back only. MRC has been out of stock on the fuse replacement parts forever that I can recall. Only other option is to buy another kit for $352.00 delivered and you better do it before they run out of stock because it could be a least a year before they are back in inventory. As I said above I heard they may be discontinuing the RotorScale line. Looking at the bright side, its a beautiful looking shelf queen.

Leave a comment:

• F106DeltaDart
    replied
    I hardly ever ran the stock head on mine. Switched it out for a more scale 3 blade head pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Originally posted by bpjacobsen View Post
    Any else run into an issue with the head on this heli being loose? I can literally move the blade grips up and down. I tried taking it off, added some lube, screwed it back together as tight as I can can get it but it's still loose. WTH? I have to say, in taking the blade grips apart, this is the worst setup I have ever encountered. I don't know how you can get this tight to where three no play. in fact even on my other one (Airwolf) it is slightly loose though not nearly as bad as the AS350. Now I"m tempted to swap this head out for DFC since I am using a 6s setup. Has anyone else done this? I don't trust this head at all. the feathering shaft should not teeter totter at all. video here:

https://youtu.be/M-TxuetAFLI
    Yeah I ran into that problem with the head and just about everything else. Replaced the head a few months ago. That head is S@@t. Sorry for my French but no other way to describe it.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Heard that MRC was discontinuing the RotorScale 450 size line of helicopters. Anyone have further information?
    this would not surprise me since the mechanics are crap. The fuse is very nice and all but in my opinion some of the worst mechanics I have seen. Not to mention poor customer service from the so called Heli tech over there.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Any else run into an issue with the head on this heli being loose? I can literally move the blade grips up and down. I tried taking it off, added some lube, screwed it back together as tight as I can can get it but it's still loose. WTH? I have to say, in taking the blade grips apart, this is the worst setup I have ever encountered. I don't know how you can get this tight to where three no play. in fact even on my other one (Airwolf) it is slightly loose though not nearly as bad as the AS350. Now I"m tempted to swap this head out for DFC since I am using a 6s setup. Has anyone else done this? I don't trust this head at all. the feathering shaft should not teeter totter at all. video here:

https://youtu.be/M-TxuetAFLI

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
    Not sure I have not used the usb.
    You won’t find it in the “basic Heli setup”. It’s in the “parameter setup”.

Gravy
    Great Ill check there again. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    Not sure I have not used the usb.
    You won’t find it in the “basic Heli setup”. It’s in the “parameter setup”.

Gravy

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
    Not sure about the spectrum beast X but the Microbeast plus has a setting you can get to using the Bluetooth adapter that lets you set the CW or CCW of the main head. This helps with also with parameter F Torque precompensation.

I had an issue with tail blow out on punch outs and when I got the Bluetooth adapter I found it was in CCW on a CW 450. Switched it and it made all the difference.
    but make sure on F Torque precompensation that you have it set correctly compared to what you set in Setup F Rudder Direction.

Gravy
    Is the CW/CCW setting also accessible using the USB adapter? I tried looking for this setting using USB and could not find it and when I downloaded the app, it appears to be the same interface as the PC. Seems like I am having similar issues and want to see if this change will help.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Heard that MRC was discontinuing the RotorScale 450 size line of helicopters. Anyone have further information?

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied

Have you tried replacing that s@@t they have on it for tail rotor blades? Replaced mine with a set of 62 mm Zeals. Much better tail rotor authority now.
    hard to believe CF tail blades would make that much a difference but I went ahead and orders some. Not the Zeals but something that would be better than stock.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    By the way, going back to my previous issues with the tail blowing out and the teter totter effect. So I have upgraded to 6s and for the most part, after using a swash leveler and getting blade tracking pretty close to zero, it flies much better with very little rocking. However, when I punch hard, it still blows out the tail. I tried setting the tail gain to 70 but no difference. I believe the standard is around 60 for tail gain? Any other suggestions. I really don't think this is a mechnical issue. the slider is fine. It's just that the tail is not able to hold when punching hard. But I'm fine with it as is since this is scale and I don't really plan to kick it into 3d mode much. I more or less just enjoy the scale/sport flying. But I would be interested in knowing what might be causing the blow out when punching.
    Have you tried replacing that s@@t they have on it for tail rotor blades? Replaced mine with a set of 62 mm Zeals. Much better tail rotor authority now.

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    Not sure about the spectrum beast X but the Microbeast plus has a setting you can get to using the Bluetooth adapter that lets you set the CW or CCW of the main head. This helps with also with parameter F Torque precompensation.

I had an issue with tail blow out on punch outs and when I got the Bluetooth adapter I found it was in CCW on a CW 450. Switched it and it made all the difference.
    but make sure on F Torque precompensation that you have it set correctly compared to what you set in Setup F Rudder Direction.

Gravy

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    By the way, going back to my previous issues with the tail blowing out and the teter totter effect. So I have upgraded to 6s and for the most part, after using a swash leveler and getting blade tracking pretty close to zero, it flies much better with very little rocking. However, when I punch hard, it still blows out the tail. I tried setting the tail gain to 70 but no difference. I believe the standard is around 60 for tail gain? Any other suggestions. I really don't think this is a mechnical issue. the slider is fine. It's just that the tail is not able to hold when punching hard. But I'm fine with it as is since this is scale and I don't really plan to kick it into 3d mode much. I more or less just enjoy the scale/sport flying. But I would be interested in knowing what might be causing the blow out when punching.
    I'm having the same issue as well. I'm tired of constantly messing with this. I have installed a 3700KV motor running 3S to see if I can get a different response. I think Ill put the 1800KV back in and order a 6S ESC to see how that works. Ive tried every gyro setting on the BeastX. I have the gyro channel on a Pot on the TX16s so I can adjust it easily while tuning.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied

First expose the tail rotor assembly by removing the tail fins at the end of the boom. I am assuming that model has the same type of tail removal as the AS350. If you can get to the screws that form the compression on that assembly, loosen and slide the assembly back a bit on the round boom and that will tighten the belt. If after moving it back the belt still has too much slack, the mechanic will probably have to be removed so you can get to the other end of that round boom. You will find a square plastic piece that the boom fits into. Loosen the small bolts around it until you can move the round boom in and out. Slide that boom out a bit until you have the belt tensioned and then retighten. IOW the belt can be tensioned at either end of the round boom.
    I came to realize, the play seems to be in the head, not so much the belt. I did take the mechanics out today and pulled the tail end back a little but the belt seems tight enough. the looseness seems more tied to the head itself but not sure. it's flying fine otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    So I just received the Airwolf model and I noticed that the belt is nice and snug with no play, but on this one, the A350, there is quite a bit of play. Does anyone know how to adjust the belt tension on this? The manual has no info on this.
    First expose the tail rotor assembly by removing the tail fins at the end of the boom. I am assuming that model has the same type of tail removal as the AS350. If you can get to the screws that form the compression on that assembly, loosen and slide the assembly back a bit on the round boom and that will tighten the belt. If after moving it back the belt still has too much slack, the mechanic will probably have to be removed so you can get to the other end of that round boom. You will find a square plastic piece that the boom fits into. Loosen the small bolts around it until you can move the round boom in and out. Slide that boom out a bit until you have the belt tensioned and then retighten. IOW the belt can be tensioned at either end of the round boom.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    So I just received the Airwolf model and I noticed that the belt is nice and snug with no play, but on this one, the A350, there is quite a bit of play. Does anyone know how to adjust the belt tension on this? The manual has no info on this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X