X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 UH-1N Twin Huey- ARF Bundle - Build and Impressions

This thread will document the build and my initial impressions on the new 600 ARF Bundle Package from the Roban UH-1N. The bundle package combines the original UH-1N Scale fuselage, with bundled electronics, and a Chaos 600 airframe, allowing you to have everything needed to put together a large scale helicopter in one box. The goal for this thread is going to be to have a completed and flying Twin Huey to be ready for the Texas Scale Championships next weekend.

I am planning to build and finish the Huey in the colors of the USAF 36th Rescue Squadron based in Spokane, Washington:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DDF1D0D4-0ABE-4F1A-A58A-DEA33863C2B8.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	194957
    They have operated the UH-1N for almost 50 years, and are currently the only squadron operating it for dedicated SAR missions. To date, the Squadron has completed more than 690 civilian rescues, and the build will be dedicated to their service. For more info on the 36th RQS, see this article: https://www.verticalmag.com/features...t-kept-secret/.

On opening the box, I found a very well packed model. It was triple boxed, and reinforced in every corner. I removed the bags covering each of the pieces to make it a bit more visible in the photo:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5A610A25-BF63-4244-B1B3-52A3B7DE3407.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	194958
    After unpacking everything, I found the airframe great shape, with no evidence on any damage or scratches. Here is the full shot of everything that is included. The electronics package includes a Scorpion HKIV 4025-1100kV Brushless Motor, Hobbywing Platinum 120A V4 ESC with 10A/25A BEC, and four Hitec D625MW servos. The mechanics include the Chaos 600 kit, as well an included set of custom side frames, 45 deg angle gearbox, metal bevel gear set, and a set of 600 blades.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6399970-0C35-4CDD-85EE-1D33D40FC934.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	194959
    Attached Files

A few more notes on the airframe itself. The fuselage is finish is excellent, and includes some pretty cool details. The engine doghouse is fully magnetic, making it easy to access the mechanics. All of the doors, both the pilot and cabin doors are fully movable as well. Here’s a few more detail shots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5A5DFFCB-D165-4E86-9976-6A99A652E24D.jpeg
Views:	2635
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	194982

Name:	57EDC8A2-BC1A-448A-BFD9-246493D2AC90.jpeg
Views:	3181
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	194983

Name:	380EB823-4156-4E3A-A776-3D07DA364A53.jpeg
Views:	2468
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	194984

Name:	CDE385B8-19F7-418E-9AF6-07F15676CB4A.jpeg
Views:	2557
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	194985

Name:	6E7F1ABE-949F-4CA6-A53C-F493C78826B2.jpeg
Views:	2753
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	194986

Name:	353DDC23-F100-4B7F-BF0B-2D628C62ADB2.jpeg
Views:	2481
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	194987

Name:	D9FAC5CD-7EA0-4E5C-A793-FD1672969CF8.jpeg
Views:	2452
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	194988

Comment

I also purchased the optional cockpit set for the Huey, and was pretty impressed by the amount of detail included on the instrument panel:

Name:	D927DEE0-52F3-42B9-8E69-850154A4CECB.jpeg
Views:	2439
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	194990

Name:	9BA8B438-AFE5-4264-8393-BEF95CDD98BF.jpeg
Views:	2450
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	194991 More to come soon. Paint is in hand, and it is time to start masking!

Comment

Base coat of medium green applied to the fuselage, and interior has been sprayed flat black.

Name:	2165F33C-F763-488B-8AA5-7370641DDDBF.jpeg
Views:	2468
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	195045

Comment

Excellent DD - I will be following your every update with great interest. Juices well and truly flowing on this one:Cool:

Comment

Diving right in, I can't wait to see your finished result!

That cockpit really is stunning. The main console is molded as a single piece in resin, then it's mated to some wooden parts, backed with the decal, then hand painted at the factory.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I am also working on one of these. Wish I had known they were doing this bundle though, would have saved a bit of $ but it's all good. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Diving right in, I can't wait to see your finished result!

That cockpit really is stunning. The main console is molded as a single piece in resin, then it's mated to some wooden parts, backed with the decal, then hand painted at the factory.
                You don't have to do much of a selling job on me - I'm already taking a look at my savings' balance ;)

Comment

I was going to do this build but after seeing the actual size of the fuselage I decided to sell it and stick with my 450 size Huey. Just a heads up: If you are planning a pilot and crew Big Lots stores carry a line of 1/6 military figures that are pretty nice for just $15 each

Comment

Originally posted by JDLightnin' View Post
                    I was going to do this build but after seeing the actual size of the fuselage I decided to sell it and stick with my 450 size Huey. Just a heads up: If you are planning a pilot and crew Big Lots stores carry a line of 1/6 military figures that are pretty nice for just $15 each
                    Thanks for the heads up on the pilots! I too was a bit surprised on the size of the fuselage but have come to like it.

Comment

Thanks for tip on the pilots! I was definitely surprised by the size as well, really makes my 500s look small! Today was a long day of masking and painting. Aaaand it needs to be re-done. I painted the grey today, and the paint color came out too light. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice until AFTER removing the masking. Time to redo all the gray in darker Gunship Gray for the next try.

Name:	7233B4EA-CA93-4698-B137-004333065BDB.jpeg
Views:	2695
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	195459

Name:	EAEB0F44-F277-4BD9-8793-0E3D5D5814A4.jpeg
Views:	2408
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	195460

Comment

Always happens when you are on a tight schedule:( Looking good though - really impressed by what you have shared so far.

Comment

How did you remove your cabin doors? Mine slide back about half way and don't feel like they will move anymore without breaking something. Haven't been brave enough to force the issue but would like to remove them before painting the interior. Just in case you aren't aware, the door hinges are pretty weak and will break in time. There are some aftermarket ones I noticed on another site that I may get. If I find the link I will certainly share it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone 7 View Post
                            Always happens when you are on a tight schedule:( Looking good though - really impressed by what you have shared so far.
                            Thanks Cyclone! These things definitely tend to happen on a tight schedule. Hoping to get the correct gray painted on tonight, and maybe get masks applied for the dark green. For anyone else who is planning to try their hand at this camo, I found that Cybermodeler has a great little paint guide: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraf...profile5.shtml.

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                            How did you remove your cabin doors? Mine slide back about half way and don't feel like they will move anymore without breaking something. Haven't been brave enough to force the issue but would like to remove them before painting the interior. Just in case you aren't aware, the door hinges are pretty weak and will break in time. There are some aftermarket ones I noticed on another site that I may get. If I find the link I will certainly share it.
                            The doors are held in by 2 tabs that slot into a track at the top and bottom of the doors. With them about 1/2 way through their travel, you can pull down and out and the top tab pops out of the track. Then the whole door comes of pretty easily.

Also, for those Pilot figures, the Huey comes in at 1/9.25 scale, so the 1/6 pilots are significantly too large for this build.

Comment

Finished spraying on the gunship grey, looks much better now! Have to resupply on masking tape after all that painting..

Name:	92748C4C-B362-4102-9BC0-BC95B061A632.jpeg
Views:	2578
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	195553

Comment

Looks great! Are you planning on going with the stock main gear/pinion? I went with a helical 118 main and 10 tooth pinion and got around 1590 rpm at 100% throttle curve without governing. I'm really curious why MRC went with the 4025-1100kV instead of the 4025-890kV they recommend with the conversion huey. I'm assuming it's just a stock issue as CC website doesn't even show the 890 in stock.

Thanks for the tip on the doors! Will try that on my next day off. Am waiting for more paint (I of course didn't order enough) so there's no hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                                  Looks great! Are you planning on going with the stock main gear/pinion? I went with a helical 118 main and 10 tooth pinion and got around 1590 rpm at 100% throttle curve without governing. I'm really curious why MRC went with the 4025-1100kV instead of the 4025-890kV they recommend with the conversion huey. I'm assuming it's just a stock issue as CC website doesn't even show the 890 in stock.

Thanks for the tip on the doors! Will try that on my next day off. Am waiting for more paint (I of course didn't order enough) so there's no hurry.
                                  Thanks! Yes, planning on using the stock gears. I have a few different pinions on standby in case I need to adjust headspeed.

Comment

Cool heli!

One request: Next time you post photos, could you please put something in the foreground (such as your transmitter), to give a sense of scale?

Thanks for posting this thread! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                      Cool heli!

One request: Next time you post photos, could you please put something in the foreground (such as your transmitter), to give a sense of scale?

Thanks for posting this thread! :Cool:
                                      Here you go, TX added for scale! I just finished painting the dark green and it’s starting to look the part! It won’t be ready for flight Saturday, but I am trying to get it prepped for static display. Tomorrow I will add a few more details such as the wipers and pitot tube, and trim out the cockpit windows a bit.

Name:	0E0F8340-C7DB-4D17-ADA1-05C8722288C7.jpeg
Views:	2688
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	196168Click image for larger version

Name:	0027BECE-C03D-4841-94EA-C5198DCD0B0E.jpeg
Views:	2412
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	196169

Name:	6BFF7C81-8E6A-4503-9D88-57DC12986F7D.jpeg
Views:	2403
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	196170Click image for larger version

Name:	7E610CA8-0773-4E1A-8832-EB5DA89C74AB.jpeg
Views:	2403
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	196171

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it assembled - looking very good so far. I thought that you had set yourself a bit of a harsh target for completion - been there and got the tee-shirt. I once worked day and night for a week to get an ME109 finished for a club airshow and likewise, only had it out for non-flying display on the day. Promised myself that I would do my best never to repeat the exercise(much to the family's relief) ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X