Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

600 UH-1N Twin Huey- ARF Bundle - Build and Impressions

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks and sounds great! Very nice flight too.

Hope to to see it Dalton this year ear.
    Roy Mayoral

Comment

• Originally posted by Heli143 View Post
      Looks and sounds great! Very nice flight too.

Hope to to see it Dalton this year ear.
      Thanks man! Definitely planning on bringing it to Dalton this year. With all of the new projects I’ve been working on, packing the car is going to involve some tough choices!

Comment

• Been flying this guy for a while now and have received a few questions on the paints that I used. Since I was recently doing a few touch ups, I figured I would post the color list here. I used Tamiya AS-14 Olive Green (USAF) for the lighter green, and airbrushed model master acrylic Euro 1 Dark Green and Gunship Gray for the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
          Been flying this guy for a while now and have received a few questions on the paints that I used. Since I was recently doing a few touch ups, I figured I would post the color list here. I used Tamiya AS-14 Olive Green (USAF) for the lighter green, and airbrushed model master acrylic Euro 1 Dark Green and Gunship Gray for the rest.
          Have been following your thread and am currently building the same heli but a hevi lift version. What battery for 6s did you end up going with? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmack908 View Post

Have been following your thread and am currently building the same heli but a hevi lift version. What battery for 6s did you end up going with? Thanks!
            I used an Admiral 6000mah 6S Pack

Comment

I used an Admiral 6000mah 6S Pack
              Awesome thank you. 35c? What type of flight time are you getting?

Comment

Awesome thank you. 35c? What type of flight time are you getting?
                I was using the 50C and flying for around 6 minutes.

Comment

I was using the 50C and flying for around 6 minutes.
                  Wow quick response thank you! Did you still end up adding nose weight to balance?

Comment

Wow quick response thank you! Did you still end up adding nose weight to balance?
                    You must have got your new Bell 212 fuselage? so what do you think of it?

Comment

Oh yes. A lot of nose weight. I installed the battery just behind the scale cockpit. Had to add weight under the floor. If I remember right, it was at least a pound. The raised tail requires a lot of weight to balance out.

Comment

Oh yes. A lot of nose weight. I installed the battery just behind the scale cockpit. Had to add weight under the floor. If I remember right, it was at least a pound. The raised tail requires a lot of weight to balance out.
                        Holy smokes! Do you think it would be a waste of weight to add another battery and parallel say twin 5000mah packs? Less nose weight and longer run time?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	791DA8F4-BE89-4C6A-93A6-677F400A47CA.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	321279Click image for larger version

Name:	083D66C7-70E3-48BF-A4EB-7E435BE28B21.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	321280
                          Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

You must have got your new Bell 212 fuselage? so what do you think of it?
                          Oh man it’s amazing!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	791DA8F4-BE89-4C6A-93A6-677F400A47CA.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	321279Click image for larger version

Name:	083D66C7-70E3-48BF-A4EB-7E435BE28B21.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	321280

Oh man it’s amazing!
                            I posted a video of mine over on my Bell 212 build, I didn't want to take away from DeltaDarts build here so I posted it over there, its regarding the tail heavy issue and nose weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I posted a video of mine over on my Bell 212 build, I didn't want to take away from DeltaDarts build here so I posted it over there, its regarding the tail heavy issue and nose weight.
                              I seen it! Looks amazing! Batteries just held in with Velcro?

Comment

Thanks Alpha! Things have been pretty busy, so I am just getting to the mechanics again. First up was installing and shimming the metal gears for the torque tube. The kit includes some nicely machined metal gears to replace all of the bevel gears in the Chaos 600. For the tail pickup, I did change the gear arrangement up a bit. If you are sticking with stock (CW) rotor rotation, the following will not need to be changed, and can be ignored. However, I wanted CCW scale rotation on the main rotor. So, I pressed out the one-way bearing with an arbor press, and pressed it back in upside-down. However this also reverses your tail rotor direction. For highest efficiency (and scale) the innermost tail rotor blade should always rotate up, into the rotor wash. To make this happen I had to move the tail bevel gear from its stock position (above tail output bevel gear) to below the bevel gear. This was easily done by extending the flat spot on the shaft using a dremel cutting wheel.

The gear positions were then adjusted using the included shims. Gear mesh should be tight, with just a bit of backlash between the 2 bevel gears. The gears were the lubricated with synthetic grease. All metal to metal joints will require lubrication to reduce wear. Another item of note to those building this kit, is that sets of specs are included. The Chaos mechanics are wider than the Trex 600 ESP it was designed for, but the spacers allow them to be stretched to the larger size. These are the blocks shown on the inboard side of the tail shaft bearing blocks in my photos. Also of note, is that the builder will need to secure the bearings inside the tail bearing blocks with a retaining compound. Otherwise they are just floating in the blocks, and can easily be knocked out.

Finally, for the main shaft, the kit includes 2 sets of bearing blocks, but the frames have provisions for a third below the main shaft. Even though the stock 2 should be more than adequate for scale flying, I elected to add a third using Trex 600 spare parts: http://www.aligntrexstore.com/Bearin...1-_p_1556.html. More to come soon.
                                just started mocking my kit up and realize I would need 18 3.5mm spacers for frame spacers and I only have two included 3.5mm spacers for the tail shaft bearing block. I am using the phoenixtech 600 esp they sell from motion Rc website. Any ideas on making or purchasing spacers? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

More progress on the mechanics. Got the tail boom installed and set up. I ended up making a few changes to the stock setup configuration. First off, the boom was not seating all the way stock as the torque tube was a bit long. This was also causing a gap in the scale tailboom joint to the fuselage. I shortened the torque tube by ~1/4” and it fits much better now.

The next change was the boom supports. The stock setup has them mounting on the screws that secure the L shaped mounting brackets. However, if you do that, the boom support block access to the screws for securing the mechanics to the airframe. Instead, I drilled 2 holes aft of the L bracket mounting, and mounted them there with some spare hardware. Works much better, and the mounting screws are easy to access now.

One last note is to be extra careful when snapping the ball link on to the stock tail rotor bellcrank. I applied a bit too much pressure, and snapped the end of the plastic bellcrank arm. A new Aluminum replacement is on the way. After that, it’s just FBL and ESC setup before a maiden flight.
                                  Building a B212 600 size currently. You didn’t have any issues with the front mechanics not bolting down? I have like a 1/4” to go down but I can’t because the top of the torque tube is touching inside of fuse..

Comment

Building a B212 600 size currently. You didn’t have any issues with the front mechanics not bolting down? I have like a 1/4” to go down but I can’t because the top of the torque tube is touching inside of fuse..
                                    You mean the top of your boom is hitting the fuselage, is it right where the fuse bolts together? on mine I had to grind the opening a little bigger in that area.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	BAE4B919-5E4C-4A06-80B1-2E4674E7212F.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	322730
                                      Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

You mean the top of your boom is hitting the fuselage, is it right where the fuse bolts together? on mine I had to grind the opening a little bigger in that area.
                                      In my case it’s right under where the back of the doghouse connects. Below that hole.

Comment

• I see it now, I posted before I seen the pics you sent me, so you can still grind some of that away, I had to do that area as well, that's just an alignment pin anyway right, can't remember.

Comment

• I had to open up that area with Dremel as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X