Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Roban 700 Apache "Longbow" build

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    Hey Alpha, I have not articulated the MG or TADS at this time. Right now I am working on opening up the passageways above and behind the pilot in front of the swash plate. I also have a custom beefy aluminum hinge coming from Dustin Holloman of Raven Rock Machining to allow the horizontal stab to pivot. The fixed Radome mod is pretty slick and follows the basic design used by a gentleman named Darrell Sprayberry who built a beautiful OH-58 Kiowa with a functional pod on top of it. Mine uses a 12mm OD case hardened hollow main shaft with a 6mm brass rod inside it. The rod is fixed to the frame with a 3D printed bracket I designed. The base of the Radome has two 12mm ID x 18mm OD x 4mm thick bearings that ride on the main shaft. The head us bored through so the shaft sticks up above it about 25mm. A new main gear hub had to be machined to provide more material to secure threaded grub screws that had their ends turned down to act as pins that engage holes in the main shaft. Essentially taking the place of any Jesus bolts. A steel collar with threaded pins replaced the snap ring on the bottom of the main shaft. For the head, it uses hex head screws to clamp it to the main shaft but the thickness of the material where the Jesus bolt is located is not sufficient to hold threaded pins. The fix was to get a 3/4" ID split collar from a local Ace Hardware store and let the threaded pins secure into it. Then it was simply clamped on the head so that the pins passed through the Jesus bolt holes into the mainshaft. Attached are some pictures. Screws in the upper part of the Radome secure it to flats on the brass rod. The top of the Radome has pins that engage the base of it with the bearings. Doing this keeps everything running true.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191021_212146.jpg Views:	132 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	218432

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191022_125512.jpg Views:	118 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	218433

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191022_125326.jpg Views:	97 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	218434

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191022_125547.jpg Views:	108 Size:	138.7 KB ID:	218435
    That is amazing work do you have more detailed pics from top to bottom

Comment

• Originally posted by rushute View Post

That is amazing work do you have more detailed pics from top to bottom
      I will be able to take detailed pics of all the parts and what mods were made when ever I happen to get the helical main gear and pinion I have ordered from ScaleFlying.de as I will have to tear down the mechanics to swap the parts out. I ordered them over a month ago but DHL is not the most expeditious carrier.

Comment

• Here is a video update on my Apache.

Comment

• That is truly a work of art !

Comment

Here is a video update on my Apache.
            RCJD, Both impressive and outstanding, Sir. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Comment

So do you like the sound from the two inch exciters? What did you use to mount them (epoxy, glue etc). I have a 700 cobra I am working on... I'm thinking about using 2.5 speakers in a small box mounted in front of the exhaust.... simply b/c I didn't think the exciters would produce good sound....

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

So do you like the sound from the two inch exciters? What did you use to mount them (epoxy, glue etc). I have a 700 cobra I am working on... I'm thinking about using 2.5 speakers in a small box mounted in front of the exhaust.... simply b/c I didn't think the exciters would produce good sound....
                  I glued the 6mm Depron to the nacelle side walls with UHU Poor cement. It won't attack the foam. Every installation is a little different and what sounds good in one fuselage may not is another. It really is a matter of trial and error. So far I like the sound of the exciters in the Apache in combination with the helical gear and pinion. I might try adding a sub-woofer to get a little more of that blade popping bass just to see how it sounds.

Comment

• Outstanding

Comment

I glued the 6mm Depron to the nacelle side walls with UHU Poor cement. It won't attack the foam. Every installation is a little different and what sounds good in one fuselage may not is another. It really is a matter of trial and error. So far I like the sound of the exciters in the Apache in combination with the helical gear and pinion. I might try adding a sub-woofer to get a little more of that blade popping bass just to see how it sounds.
                      Could you tell the difference with the helical gear and pinion? Where did you get those?

Comment

Could you tell the difference with the helical gear and pinion? Where did you get those?
                        Yes it is quieter. I got the gear and pinion set from scaleflying.de. Item number is HSM-800SU

Comment

Yes it is quieter. I got the gear and pinion set from scaleflying.de. Item number is HSM-800SU
                          Oh okay thank you. I went to their website and of course they are out of stock lol. Are you using the motor shaft support as well? https://scaleflying.de/product_info....t-support.html
                          What motor are you using? Thank you for answering all of my questions!

Comment

Oh okay thank you. I went to their website and of course they are out of stock lol. Are you using the motor shaft support as well? https://scaleflying.de/product_info....t-support.html
                            What motor are you using? Thank you for answering all of my questions!
                            Yes, once I figured out where those parts went I used them. They came with my heli. I am using an Egodrift Tengu 4525HS, 515kV motor. No problem on the questions. Happy to help.

Comment

Yes, once I figured out where those parts went I used them. They came with my heli. I am using an Egodrift Tengu 4525HS, 515kV motor. No problem on the questions. Happy to help.
                              That gear set; you replaced the both of the belt pulleys/drive sprockets? (big one on the mast and little one on the motor)

Comment

• No, the main drive gear and pinion are above the belt gear and motor pinion so it wasn't that big of a deal to change them.

Comment

Here is a video update on my Apache.

Really nice.

Comment

• Sound is now in sync with the blades.

Comment

• Here is the first video of the sound with start up to shut down and a hover. I am calling her basically done. She flies well and looks good. Now to just enjoy flying!

Comment

• Great job👍👍😊

Comment

• What light set/controller are you using?

Comment

Working...
                                          X