Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a mixed bag. The strobes are Strobon V2's from ReadyMadeRC. They kinda have their own controller built in with each light and you just plug them in to a channel on the Rx. The formation lights are powered from a BEC set to 5V and use a Pico Switch to control them off the same channel as the strobes. Finally, the red/green landing lights and instrument panel lights are powered from the same BEC as the formation lights but they are not switche but they do use the light controllers that came with the heli.

Comment

• Steve, do you have details on the tail rotor mod? I've dug around but can't find if you documented that specifically.

Speaking of the X mod, I figured out the direction and the need to pin the tail drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASGriffith View Post
        Steve, do you have details on the tail rotor mod? I've dug around but can't find if you documented that specifically.

Speaking of the X mod, I figured out the direction and the need to pin the tail drive.
        I replaced the tail rotor shaft with a hardened 5mm x 100mm shaft I got from Servo City and bought two TRex 600 tail rotor assemblies. I utilized the stock pitch slider and repositioned the balls on it. I also had to get some extra balls and ball links to connect it up but it works great.

Comment

• This is the route I'm going with my cobra... So far I'm liking it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2788.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	244652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	244653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	244654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	244655

Comment

• sfcfury, Very Clever, Sir. Well done. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
              This is the route I'm going with my cobra... So far I'm liking it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2788.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	244652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	244653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	244654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	244655
              Those look like they should work very well.

Comment

• Thanks, I watch all of you guys doing hella cool stuff!! Great ideas and awesome work here in the forums... and sorry I didn't want to re direct anything from your awesome Apache! I really like your idea of the depron foam and exciters, but I had already purchased these speakers... and was determined to use them. I can't believe there's not a cobra page! I guess I should start one, but I don't really take alot of build pictures.. or do much 'mods'.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
                  Thanks, I watch all of you guys doing hella cool stuff!! Great ideas and awesome work here in the forums... and sorry I didn't want to re direct anything from your awesome Apache! I really like your idea of the depron foam and exciters, but I had already purchased these speakers... and was determined to use them. I can't believe there's not a cobra page! I guess I should start one, but I don't really take alot of build pictures.. or do much 'mods'.
                  I don't to that good with my builds either, but I started a few threads on my builds, it sometimes helps someone who might have questions about a certain part or how a part is installed and a picture can help, I know my builds are not that good because I don't get any responses or anything like these professional builders do, these guys are good and I get alot of info from them. So give it a try and do a Cobra build and pics because I wanted to get that one as well.

Comment

• Jetdude, got any more videos of your Apache flying lately?? I really enjoyed your build and tips and all that. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                      Jetdude, got any more videos of your Apache flying lately?? I really enjoyed your build and tips and all that. Thanks
                      Thank you sir! Nothing since the last one. The weather and life have not been conducive to flying lately. George is having a Spring fly-in in a few weeks so I am hoping to get some good flights in then.

Comment

• Can't wait to see the updated Longbow in person soon Steve!

Comment

• That is awesome!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                            A huge shout out to Dustin Holloman (thisguy65) of Raven Rock Machine who designed and fabricated a sturdy aluminum hinge to allow the stab on my Apache to articulate. If you ever need any CAD or machining services, hit him up. I love the networking that happens on this forum.

Awesome build. I just started mine and I’m looking at doing a couple of your mods as well. One is the beef of up hinge for the horizontal stab. I PM’d thisguy65 over at RCG about purchasing one, but no response. Do you have any pictures of this hinge so maybe I can get an idea of what I need to do to try and make one myself?

really appreciate it
                            thanks
                            Gravy

Comment

• Quick question. I'm doing the cascading tail mod and have everything to do the conversion except the tail rotor output shaft. Would you happend to know the length you used or know what output shaft you used?

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by AtomicFrawg View Post
                                Quick question. I'm doing the cascading tail mod and have everything to do the conversion except the tail rotor output shaft. Would you happend to know the length you used or know what output shaft you used?

Thank you
                                I got a hardened and polished 5mm x 100mm Stainless Steel shaft from Servo City. SKU# 634278. I bought two in case I messed one up.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

I got a hardened and polished 5mm x 100mm Stainless Steel shaft from Servo City. SKU# 634278. I bought two in case I messed one up.
                                  awesome thank you, that was what I needed.

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                                    I got my Apache second hand (never completed) and I'm working on it.
                                    Could you please point me in the direction of the stiffer springs for the main gear? I cannot believe how soft the stock ones are... what were they thinking?

Comment

• Welcome to HobbySquawk. For the mains I used the springs from a set of 90mm F-16 main retract struts. For the tail wheel I bought a special spring. Shoot me a PM and I will send you one.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ing-gear-strut

Comment

• Don't know if this thread is active or not. I just bought the Apache kit second hand, the only thing done so far is the landing gear are installed and main motor installed. This thread has been super helpful so far! I ordered the stiffer springs above. The manual I got with the kit is a photo copy of a photo copy and not very legible. I'm not looking at doing any of the mods initially, I just want to get it flying first with the stock setup. I would like to do cascading tail rotor mod down the road though. In the meantime, does anyone have any tips or things to look out for attaching the tail boom to the main fuselage section? Also, anyone have any tips for removing the motor pulley, I removed the 2 set screws but whoever put it on must have used some kind of locktight because the pulley won't come off the motor shaft. Thanks! -Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by tip22v View Post
                                          Don't know if this thread is active or not. I just bought the Apache kit second hand, the only thing done so far is the landing gear are installed and main motor installed. This thread has been super helpful so far! I ordered the stiffer springs above. The manual I got with the kit is a photo copy of a photo copy and not very legible. I'm not looking at doing any of the mods initially, I just want to get it flying first with the stock setup. I would like to do cascading tail rotor mod down the road though. In the meantime, does anyone have any tips or things to look out for attaching the tail boom to the main fuselage section? Also, anyone have any tips for removing the motor pulley, I removed the 2 set screws but whoever put it on must have used some kind of locktight because the pulley won't come off the motor shaft. Thanks! -Tom
                                          This is what I have to say on stiffer springs, I have stock springs and what I like about that is, when it your spooling up or down or about to take off, the stock springs let it stay level as everthing is starting to rotate, I watched the guys with stiffer springs and when it comes time to lift off you can see the heli start to wobble and when they land it rocks from side to side more because it's springy, I left mine stock and it may not look as scale sitting but it has no rocking as it's lifting off or landing, just my say on that, and you may need to use a soldering iron on the pulley to heat it up a bit to get it off, I hate when guys do that, get to much loctite in the threads and when they screw in the set screw it gets on the shaft too, I see so many guys over loctite, just a little drop of blue loctite on the screw threads and your good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                          X