• Show
Clear All

• I bet you’ve never seen a guy under locktite though. 🤣

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
      I bet you’ve never seen a guy under locktite though. 🤣

Gravy
      LOL! After working at it for a bit and applying some heat I was finally able to get the pulley off the motor, it was like someone poured Locktite in there. The good news is I was able to make the adjustment needed on the height of the pulley and now the belt is smooth and does not rub:).

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

This is what I have to say on stiffer springs, I have stock springs and what I like about that is, when it your spooling up or down or about to take off, the stock springs let it stay level as everthing is starting to rotate, I watched the guys with stiffer springs and when it comes time to lift off you can see the heli start to wobble and when they land it rocks from side to side more because it's springy, I left mine stock and it may not look as scale sitting but it has no rocking as it's lifting off or landing, just my say on that, and you may need to use a soldering iron on the pulley to heat it up a bit to get it off, I hate when guys do that, get to much loctite in the threads and when they screw in the set screw it gets on the shaft too, I see so many guys over loctite, just a little drop of blue loctite on the screw threads and your good to go.
        I could not agree more on the over use of Locktite! I used the heat trick you suggested and it worked, thanks! I also like your thoughts on the springs in the gear. The real Apache does kneel some when it comes down on the gear, so the soft stock springs are not totally un-scale, it just does not kneel quite as much as this model does with the stock springs:). I think I will try the stock springs for the first flights, I can always add stiffer springs later if I feel the need. Thanks for the help! -Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          Changed the direction of tail rotor rotation and added a cascading tail. Also made the slow speed sensors pivot. I was not a fan of simply glueing the weapons pylons to the wings as there really isn't much in the way of support structures inside the wings. My solution was to tape up the bottoms of the wings and spray a little foam into the wings at the pylon slots. Once firm I dug enough foam out of the slots to fit the tabs on the pylons and then I used Gorilla glue to secure them. Worked like a charm. The weapons pylons are solid now. I have the radio install to complete, some graphics and a little weathering. There is so much that can be done with one of these. The Roban kit is a great startingpoint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190915_211037.jpg
Views:	2775
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	213679

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190915_165200.jpg
Views:	2342
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	213680
          I am in the process of assembling one myself - second Roban; first is the Bell 429 Brazilian Operator.
          Why did you reverse the direction of the tail rotor rotation? And, how?

Comment

• Originally posted by dblewis76 View Post

I am in the process of assembling one myself - second Roban; first is the Bell 429 Brazilian Operator.
            Why did you reverse the direction of the tail rotor rotation? And, how?
            I bought an Apache from a friend of mine and he did the same thing, he swapped the front tail rotor drive bevel gear around that drives the tail rotor, its so the tail rotor rotates in the right direction like the real one does, its a scale thing, I don't care myself but others do, also you have to make sure you pin the spline shafts on each end or it will unscrew the spline shafts from the drive shaft because they are just screwed in and will unscrew if you change the direction, if you leave the tail rotor rotating in the stock direction you don't have to do anything, maybe one of the other guys who have done it will explain it better than me.......

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I bought an Apache from a friend of mine and he did the same thing, he swapped the front tail rotor drive bevel gear around that drives the tail rotor, its so the tail rotor rotates in the right direction like the real one does, its a scale thing, I don't care myself but others do, also you have to make sure you pin the spline shafts on each end or it will unscrew the spline shafts from the drive shaft because they are just screwed in and will unscrew if you change the direction, if you leave the tail rotor rotating in the stock direction you don't have to do anything, maybe one of the other guys who have done it will explain it better than me.......
              😀 I see. It was pointed out to me on my Bell 429 that the tail rotor normally cuts up into the main blade down wash for added authority, not down as on the Roban. I couldn't see how to reverse it since it is gear driven. I'll leave my Apache "non-scale" for now - works fine on the Bell 429.

Comment

• Yeah I don't care either, as long as they fly good is what's important to me...

Comment

• Yeah it’s the umbrella gear that changes. Instead of being on the top it gets reversed and put on the bottom. Not sure if I have pics of it, but I’ll look.

Gravy

Comment

• There you go, Gravy did the one I bought from him, it flew awesome too, I enjoyed it but man they come out heavy and not easy to transport with all that scale stuff hanging off of it...

Comment

• Could someone be kind enough to send a link for some pilots? I have been looking but its been no joy...

Comment

• Google this
                        1:9 scale apache pilots

not that hard

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCid View Post
                          Could someone be kind enough to send a link for some pilots? I have been looking but its been no joy...
                          I have the same problem with my Cobra, just can't find the right size pilots for that thing and I have searched for them, I may have to do some customizing on some pilots, chop some legs and such...

Comment

• i found my pilots here .Fine Scale Modela - RC Helicopter and Accessories - Home (fine-scalemodela.com). Not cheap but lots of options​

Comment

Working...
                            X