Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy Gravy came out this morning and he filmed a flight for me, sorry but my phone had trouble staying focused, he did a great job staying with it. You guys get to actually see me fly this thing.

Comment

Nice flight, DC. Awesome.

Comment

Thanks, need to get a better camera. I got the tail wag fixed, I installed my 4 blade tail rotor and if flew great with no tail wag, so I took all the blades off the 4 blade tail rotor and installed my two130mm tail blades and flew it that way with only two blades mounted to the 4 blade tail rotor, it flies great with no tail wag, I then cut the other two holders off and made a more scale looking 2 blade tail rotor, flies great as you can see in the video, so something is not right with the stock 2 blade rotor, I had trouble with my AH-6, OH-6 and the Magnum PI, all had tail wags with the stock 2 blade tail rotors and I when I installed the 4 blade on each one it all went away, but now I don't have a 4 blade rotor anymore, it was worth it to finally see it fly so smooth........

Comment

Yes it was a smooth flying machine. Looks really good in the air too.

gravy

Comment

Here is the tail rotor mod I did recently on my OH -6, flies perfect now, no tail wag at all, hope I explain it well.

Comment

Here is another mod I did on the front landing light and cockpit instrument lights so I don't have to plug and unplug wires everytime I take the front cabin off.

Comment

Nice job on both mods. Thinking the heavier 4 blade hub vs the plastic 2 blade hub is what made the difference? Glad it worked!

Comment

I’m wondering if it’s not the linkage. Would be interring to see if putting ball joints on the two blade would cure the issue. Not sure if that’s even possible. I did have a tail setup on my 550 that originally gave me tons of issues. Same type linkages. Switch to different tail setup with different type linkage and it was all good.
                  I think I even told you that I felt it binding up and realized it was that double swivel linkage that was causing it.

Gravy

Comment

Yeah I don't know really, I have the stock 2 blade tail rotor linkage working really smooth, in fact if you tilt it sideways it will slid to one side on its own, but what I'm thinking is when its up to speed, maybe the centrifugal force is causing some type of binding, I 'm running $150 tail servos with 150oz of torque on both of mine and they both had a tail wag with the stock 2 blade tail rotor, and my AH-6 that I sold had the same issue but was fine with the 4 blade tail rotor, so all three had the same issue and I kind of see it on other Roban helis with this same 2 blade tail rotor, I just watched a new build of a guy with a 700 Roban Cobra and he said in the flight video he was chasing a tail wag also, so to me something is not right on the stock tail rotor if you ask me...!

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                      Yeah I don't know really, I have the stock 2 blade tail rotor linkage working really smooth, in fact if you tilt it sideways it will slid to one side on its own, but what I'm thinking is when its up to speed, maybe the centrifugal force is causing some type of binding, I 'm running $150 tail servos with 150oz of torque on both of mine and they both had a tail wag with the stock 2 blade tail rotor, and my AH-6 that I sold had the same issue but was fine with the 4 blade tail rotor, so all three had the same issue and I kind of see it on other Roban helis with this same 2 blade tail rotor, I just watched a new build of a guy with a 700 Roban Cobra and he said in the flight video he was chasing a tail wag also, so to me something is not right on the stock tail rotor if you ask me...!
                      Interesting. Worst case, the Trex 600 tail rotor is a drop in replacement for the stock assembly. I haven’t had any issues so far with the tail on my 800 Bell 222, but I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it on my Cobra.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Interesting. Worst case, the Trex 600 tail rotor is a drop in replacement for the stock assembly. I haven’t had any issues so far with the tail on my 800 Bell 222, but I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it on my Cobra.
                        Now when you say the Trex 600 is a drop in replacement, which tail rotor are we talking about, the old style TREX 600E or the new style that's on them now?? I did buy a new 600 slider and blade grips but not the whole assembly, I thought I could use the slider and grips on the stock Roban housing but it wouldn't work, do you have a link or anything where I can see which one it is?? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Now when you say the Trex 600 is a drop in replacement, which tail rotor are we talking about, the old style TREX 600E or the new style that's on them now?? I did buy a new 600 slider and blade grips but not the whole assembly, I thought I could use the slider and grips on the stock Roban housing but it wouldn't work, do you have a link or anything where I can see which one it is?? Thanks
                          I used this tail rotor assembly: https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-v...n6103c/p717441. Have not replaced the slider, but that may be an option that I consider if I have issues with the stock one.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

I used this tail rotor assembly: https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-v...n6103c/p717441. Have not replaced the slider, but that may be an option that I consider if I have issues with the stock one.
                            Yep, same one I bought, can you get a close up picture of yours for me when you get a chance, was wondering how you got the 600 linkages to mount to the stock slider??

Comment

I can confirm everything about the tail is 600 sized- at least on the 700 size cobra. I've went down several rabbit holes chasing down issues on my tail on my cobra... and from looking at the manual on the 800 sized MD500/OH6 the tail rotor looks the same. If I could recommend a part so that you don't have to buy a whole tail assembly, or individual parts would be this guy: Align 600ESP Metal Tail Pitch Assembly/Black H60250T. It was a complete bolt on replacement.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	600ESP METAL tail pictch assembly.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	294904

Comment

*And I'm using the V2 metal blade holder that you guys posted as well... I put the V2 blade holder and that 60250T pitch assembly on my 600 sized OH6... and feel like the tail is dialed in from jumped street. I put that combo on my Cobra too.. and with the new gear box installed I finally feel like the tail is set on it.... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
                                  *And I'm using the V2 metal blade holder that you guys posted as well... I put the V2 blade holder and that 60250T pitch assembly on my 600 sized OH6... and feel like the tail is dialed in from jumped street. I put that combo on my Cobra too.. and with the new gear box installed I finally feel like the tail is set on it.... for now.
                                  Thank you sir, really appreciate the info, but let me ask guys this, will it work on the left side as well with the control arm on the bottom?? I do like my 4 blade conversion to a 2 blade, looks very scale and the feel is the best I have ever flown, the tail on the Cayuse does not move one bit, the Microbeast keep it locked in and I have it set on the soft side, but we all know sometimes when you mod something like the tail, things can fail, so knowing I have a solid tail puts my mind as ease, the 4 blade rotor has small grip holders and I cut two of them off, it does make me a little nervous wondering if I took some strength away from the whole idea of a 4 blade, but hey I solved the tail wag, my Magnum PI version flies better than all of them with the stock tail for some reason it has just a small wag once in awhile but does not feel locked in during flight, it also could be the Microbeast not liking the stock tail rotors for some reason, I'm no expert on that part and setting up FBL gyros, but I did try every setting possible, different blades, changed the servo horn ball to different holes and still had a tail wag issue, so if I have to purchase a whole new tail mechanism to get these to fly solid, it is worth it, I will even buy another 4 blade tail rotor from Germany if I have to and cut it down for my Magnum PI as I did on the Cayuse.

Comment

Yes I just turned the whole assembly to the left... I use a golden rod to serve as my control rod to the tail anyways... so I just flip my servo up and run the golden rod straight down the top of the torque tube. Just a suggestion! B/c I'm like you as well... if I do something like you did, and it's working and I'm comfortable with it... I will repeat that...
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5941.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	294935

Comment

Here's a link to my video of testing out the tail; pretty boring b/c I just wanted to see how the tail was going to do... any movement that even looks like a jerk was me... towards the end I kind of was trying to jerk it around little bit to see if it would kick etc. My issue then was once I put the big vertical on, I lost some TA... I had dialed the headspeed down initially to 1300 on pod and boom that flew great, but once I got the big solid tail fin on, it wasn't so great on total TA. I think I was doing that video at 1400 rpm.

Comment

Looks good, I would be happy with that for sure, mine were constant tail wags, sometimes really slow and then at times really fast, but on my Magnum PI it is just a very slow wag, the tail just won't stay solid, and when I fly it, it seems jerky, I did install the 4 blade on it as well before I cut it down for the Cayuse, it worked great on the Magnum too, the tail wag is not very noticeable on the Magnum, just a slight side to side once in awhile but it bugs me, thanks for all the info sfcfury.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Yep, same one I bought, can you get a close up picture of yours for me when you get a chance, was wondering how you got the 600 linkages to mount to the stock slider??
                                          Here are a few photos of my setup. I forgot that I also used some of the parts off of the Align pitch slider as well. I used the short links that attach from the slider arms to the tail blade grips. The stock ones are sized for smaller screws.

Comment

Working...
                                          X