X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF to Turbine Conversions

I posted this in the forum feedback area but was wondering if there’s any interest. I noticed in another group there’s a section called “gas to electric conversions”. Do you think there would be enough interest in EDF’s conversions to turbine? With the new Kingtech 30, I’m sure a lot of people have thought about it but the lack of know how and supplies has kept people away. I think if enough people would come onboard, a lot of these airframes would be great for a conversion to turbine. What do you think?

Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
    I posted this in the forum feedback area but was wondering if there’s any interest. I noticed in another group there’s a section called “gas to electric conversions”. Do you think there would be enough interest in EDF’s conversions to turbine? With the new Kingtech 30, I’m sure a lot of people have thought about it but the lack of know how and supplies has kept people away. I think if enough people would come onboard, a lot of these airframes would be great for a conversion to turbine. What do you think?
    Hey Partrnflyr,

Something like this would be nice to watch and It will be interesting to work out the details as there will be many to resolve. Heat, Tubes, Mounting, CG, tanks, electric units, space and weight. If using the KingTech K-30G3with a consumption of 120 g / min you need a fuel tank fitted for optimal flight time of 7 minutes. (Normal 90mm EDF 3.5 Mins) Maybe use dual saddle tanks with the large UAT for your reserve. Perhaps www.jettechusa.com can be a resource for the tanks. (No, not a plug and I do not work there just a site I found) I am wondering though, what plane you are considering for this. Foam or fiberglass?

Comment

F-22. I think you’ll need something large as in 90mm. I do think the Avanti S might work too but don’t want a lead sled. It’s just difficult to find all the parts. We used to have Tam around who would make conversion kits. They may be out there but appears that most people who do this use the “looks about right” method

Comment

EDF to turbine conversions are done by some people but there are some issues to consider.

The turbine is much more expensive and will cost more to operate.
        Model size turbines need major overhaul on a frequent basis. Some can operate about 120 to 150 hrs without maintenance but you'll have major parts failures that could destroy the turbine if you don't do the more frequent inspections and replacements of some parts.

EDF has virtually zero maintenance. Just replacement batteries about every 3 years. (My batteries always die from age before they die from number of charge cycles, even when I was doing 300 cycles a year for each of several sets of packs)

Takeoff weights are similar
        Turbine will have more power
        Landing weight of the turbine model is lower due to burning off the fuel.

A hot start and a foam model can easily result in a total loss. You WILL have some hot starts with a turbine. (big fire coming out the tailpipe)

I'm not a fan of the turbines because of costs and AMA limitations. Also my club's field is unsafe for turbines most of the year. Too easy to light the grass on fire and that could potentially take out a small town very near the field.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I have four turbines including an F-16, Bobcat, and Cougar but understand who you’re talking too. I made the plunge way back in 2000 when things were more expensive than they are now. Good info for this thread though. Too late to deterring me, I’m already too deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
            F-22. I think you’ll need something large as in 90mm. I do think the Avanti S might work too but don’t want a lead sled. It’s just difficult to find all the parts. We used to have Tam around who would make conversion kits. They may be out there but appears that most people who do this use the “looks about right” method
            Even though Tam is no longer creating the conversion kits, another gentleman on RCGroups named 1moparman1 is evidently having the same manufacturer create some conversion kits that did so for Tam, which keeps some of Tam’s great stuff in continuation, and that’s neat stuff.

I’ll be getting a K30 in the near future to either convert some 90mm EDF size foam planes to turbine or purchase a small composite aircraft that will fit the engine like Sebart’s recent offerings, or maybe some other manufacturers that will fit it similarly. I would love to see Freewing create some Turbine Ready ARF+ (almost all necessary components less the turbine, receiver, and transmitter), and that was actually a request of mine as well in a different thread. I still love my EDF’s and always will for many reasons, but it would be neat to see Freewing jump in the ring and offer Turbine ready planes because their design/engineering, components, quality, and standards are things I highly enjoy. It would be nice to have that still, but in Turbine form.

Comment

Here is a freewing l -39 and habu 32 x with k -30 conversion
              both fly awesome...

Comment

I recently saw a FW Mig-21 for sale with a conversion as well as an A-6. I can see the Mig being a not to difficult conversion but the A-6 baffles me. I would have never imagined a turbine in there but it has been done! If the day ever some's where my finances allow a turbine, I may try it but for now I am more than happy with plugging and unplugging batteries. That being said I would definitely like to see someone try a turbine in the new F22. I'm willing to bet that before Spring there will be a few.

The more detailed the foamies get I can certainly see a larger interest in conversions and a dedicated page may be a good idea in the near future. Especially if conversion kits are being produced for more planes and the turbines themselves become smaller and lighter. And if the battery technology doesn't keep up (were due for the next generation IMO) and turbine prices continue to fall who knows where we will be in 10 or so years. It wasn't long ago that electric planes/heli's were snubbed at the field and God forbid you showed up with a foam "Toy". I very much remember having to put my AMA card in the channel board to let anyone else on the same channel not to start their radio! None of us thought 2.4 would go anywhere and now 99% of us are using it. I think once we start seeing smaller turbines in the less than $1k range it will really take-off.

Comment

Turbine conversion ar fun. here is a video of my fly-fly mirage 2000 with a lambert kolibri T-35 turbine. I put the turbine in the way back in the tail so no problem with heat. I have now bought a hsd 105mm j10. that I will convert to turbine if it flies ok ;)

Comment

Kolibri is not easily used here in the US. No distributor and service overseas would be a nightmare. Jetcat 20 or KingTech 30 are about our only options, in my opinion, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Even though Tam is no longer creating the conversion kits, another gentleman on RCGroups named 1moparman1 is evidently having the same manufacturer create some conversion kits that did so for Tam, which keeps some of Tam’s great stuff in continuation, and that’s neat stuff.

I’ll be getting a K30 in the near future to either convert some 90mm EDF size foam planes to turbine or purchase a small composite aircraft that will fit the engine like Sebart’s recent offerings, or maybe some other manufacturers that will fit it similarly. I would love to see Freewing create some Turbine Ready ARF+ (almost all necessary components less the turbine, receiver, and transmitter), and that was actually a request of mine as well in a different thread. I still love my EDF’s and always will for many reasons, but it would be neat to see Freewing jump in the ring and offer Turbine ready planes because their design/engineering, components, quality, and standards are things I highly enjoy. It would be nice to have that still, but in Turbine form.
                      Hi everyone, this is Peter - 1moparman1.
                      Yes we are custom making turbine pipes for any jets small or Large.
                      feel free to Message me on any type of pipe you need.
                      I just ordered a F22 ARF to convert to turbine too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1moparman1 View Post

Hi everyone, this is Peter - 1moparman1.
                        Yes we are custom making turbine pipes for any jets small or Large.
                        feel free to Message me on any type of pipe you need.
                        I just ordered a F22 ARF to convert to turbine too.
                        Excellent! Thanks for chiming in Peter, and thank you for offering some great conversion parts.

Comment

I know you haven’t received it yet but could you PM me a price when you get one together?

Comment

will do :)

Comment

This would be great. I’ve been looking to jump into turbine for my f22 but didn’t know where to start. Does anyone know of a guide one can learn about setting up a turbine in a plane?

Comment

There can be some great information on RCuniverse in the RC Jets section. Also, reading the manual (available) of your preferred turbine manufacturer is a fantastic start. It provides a good idea of certain connection points, set-up, etc.

I just recently made the jump to turbines and it has been a great learning experience.

Comment

Made the jump also. Have an HSD Navy Viper with a Kingtech 60. Pretty low cost to take the plunge.

Comment

Has anybody converted an Avanti yet? It flies really well and I think a conversion might be fairly easy. havu’s have Been converted many times and I’m sure.

Moparman, have you received your F-22 yet? Does it look possible?

Comment

We have kits for the sebart mini avanti jet. Checkout my website bajahobbyusa.com
                                      i got the F22 but looks like too much work to put a pipe in it. Have to cut up the back 1/2!
                                      We will make any pipes if you wanted.

Comment

Freewing MiG 21 #1 Jetcatp20 made pipe myself seems to work ok. After many many hours p20 quit running. MiG 21#2 is flying very nicely on KingTech K30. Same pipe 8.26 dry, 9.25 wet. Trying to attach pics, stay tuned. Video from Mig 1. Hoping for video to post of MiG 2 from Coachella Jet Jam this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                        X