Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used 1/64 plywood with aluminum tape then rolled to line the tunnel. Made single wall pipe From 316 .008 stainless and using 48mm carburetor velocity stacks on both ends to keep pipe true while spot welding. Then trimmed to final length. After removing some foam a 16oz Sulivan v boat tank will be the main. A 12oz is placed in font of to and will feed into the 16oz. Will post more as project moves forward

Comment

Nice to see some posts here. I am surprised that there are not more as the Freewing airframes lend themselves really well to conversions. I have done the Avanti 80mm, F22 and the L39 so far.
      I am not knocking your T33 conversion but those tanks are quite a bit forward of the CG. You will have your hands full with that set up. Here is a pic of a 24 oz Dubro right over the CG with just a little hollowing out of foam.
      dw
      Attached Files

Comment

Recently, I fitted my K30 to my very old Skysword, removing the P20 in the process. I wanted more power and needed the P20 for another project, but found that I needed a bigger diameter pipe for the 7lb thrust K30. Just by chance, McDonalds are selling a aluminium cup for $3 and it looked perfect for a bellmouth! I bought a couple, rolled up a single wall pipe and fitted everthing and had a chance to have a couple of flights. The result was spectacular, way more power, much quieter in the air and unlimited vertical. Also, if you want a simple front pipe mount, flatten a bit of aluminium or brass tube at 90 degrees to each other and you have a very strong metal mount.
        Attached Files

Comment

Short clip of my Freewing F-22 in action with X-45 Power

Comment

Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
            Short clip of my Freewing F-22 in action with X-45 Power
            That's just way cool, Sir. When you were throttled back was the flight control mushy as in 'near stall'? Looked to have some 'yaw' complaints, LOL or is that just my eye sight failing me? Love the sound and the fact that it's turbine-powered. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

That's just way cool, Sir. When you were throttled back was the flight control mushy as in 'near stall'? Looked to have some 'yaw' complaints, LOL or is that just my eye sight failing me? Love the sound and the fact that it's turbine-powered. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
              No, no mushy characteristics in the bird. She's very predictable. Not sure what you mean by yaw issues but they're none. My buddy was flying the F-22 so I could film (because he sucks at filming lol). I just completed 4 flights on my freewing turbine conversions. They fly great!!

Comment

Some hero shots back in my air force days with my F-16
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9902.PNG
Views:	1732
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	238867Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9904.PNG
Views:	1707
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	238868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9906.PNG
Views:	1714
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	238869Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9907.PNG
Views:	1728
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	238870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9909.PNG
Views:	1723
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	238874
                Attached Files

Comment

Scale Master, Probably an optical illusion from my vantage point, sitting at the table in the nook. I would like to make the jump to turbine one day, we'll see. Your work is outstanding. I thank you for your service, Sir. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

VIDEO

Comment

Hey Mike,
                      We met at the CVRCC Jet Jam this year, and I shot a video of you describing the conversion of the FreeWing F-18 to turbine. I think that I am ready to do that now, and I want to talk to you about that. I think I lost your number. If you can call me, that would be great! John Maxwell 951-840-7624

Comment

Yes I would like to know more about EDF to Turbine conversion. I found a current Youtube video call "EDF to Turbine Foam Jet Conversion" by Essential RC which seemed to be very informative. The guy in the video uses a Freewing Avanti 80mm and it's set-by-set. I'm just waiting for that person to come out with their (Part 2) video of when he is fly the Avanti. As far as turbines I know nothing about. Do anyone have any suggestion on which micro turbine is worth looking at. How do people feel about the Xicoy X45 turbine.

Comment

Check out my thread in the jets section of rccanada.ca

Comment

Got the x45 ordered and the Avanti ARF from motion is here., now to HAB and a way we go!

Comment

Does anyone know where to go to buy a barbed 4mm fuel shutoff valve?
                              Really want to stay away from the festo valve before the x45 fuel pump, probably not going with UAT in the Avanti as others have successfully done.

Comment

Originally posted by 554dug View Post
                                Got the x45 ordered and the Avanti ARF from motion is here., now to HAB and a way we go!
                                Awesome! Have fun with the build conversion

Boys I just had a a nice and aggressive "Air Show" type flight last week with my FW T-Bird F-16. Printed and and also modified with functioning speed brakes that worked perfectly in flight for landing. Also threw a centerline tank on her

Comment

Here is the video of the Sortie! This jet is powered with the K-30g3. Jets burns more fuel, but is louder and faster than the X-45 version

Comment

Originally posted by ticketec View Post
                                    Has anyone done a conversion of the FW 90mm F-15??

A lot of room in there!

Funny you should ask. I recently converted one for a friend. Made a custom frp tank that hold 30 oz. it flies great.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3FBC18A-B73A-4C6A-8FD9-99C66B5E817C.jpeg
Views:	2564
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	270968
                                      Attached Files

Comment

No more 2.5 minute flights!!

Comment

Originally posted by 554dug View Post
                                          Does anyone know where to go to buy a barbed 4mm fuel shutoff valve?
                                          Really want to stay away from the festo valve before the x45 fuel pump, probably not going with UAT in the Avanti as others have successfully done.
                                          Most of the turbine guys, including myself, use DreamworksRC for everything turbine

Comment

Working...
                                          X