Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the A7 intake really be that much more of a FOD vacuum than the similarly low-slung intake on the F-16 models?

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Ya know my friend, Talk to the Avios C-130. No one wanted that one ether. Remember? No one wanted an Albatross ether, let's see how that one does?
      I'm telling ya that A-7 would sell. You would be the only ones with it. But carry on my friend. What's that ole saying, ya can lead a horse to water but ya....

Take care mate
      Woody
      Hobby Lobby sold a hand launch 70 mm A-7 back in the day. I just picked a used one one up at the Perry swap meet. In pretty good shape. I've yet to go over the electric components. I saw one fly years ago, easily hand launched, and have wanted one ever since. Hope to have it flying by late spring.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-II-ARF-RC-Jet

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
        Would the A7 intake really be that much more of a FOD vacuum than the similarly low-slung intake on the F-16 models?
        I think the reasons for the A-7/F-8 where the position of the intake (right at the front) and the environment it operated. A flight deck is probably more crowded than a shore airbase with plenty of people and movement in that confined space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

I think the reasons for the A-7/F-8 where the position of the intake (right at the front) and the environment it operated. A flight deck is probably more crowded than a shore airbase with plenty of people and movement in that confined space.
          Right On and add the fact that sometimes the FDO(Flight Deck Officer) in maneuvering aircraft in these tight quarters assumes all hands on deck have total situational awareness...........NOT :Straight-Face:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Just do a Mohawk or a Bronco and we won't have to worry about FOD.

Mike
            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

James, are you implying that the HSD Viper Died?? Darn, I thought you and I were HSD Viper brosefs, lol. Look lets just clear this up. I may in fact purchase one of those F-22's some day soon. I like the plane, no it's not a GaGa plane for me. But you can't deny the performance of this thing. I might buy an F-35 first if they make it. I wasn't a big fan of the F-35 until recently when I stood there and watched 3 of them fly in and land on a smaller sized carrier parked right here at North Island. I was totally impressed, awe struck to be honest. I'm a carrier aviator, cool things, are well cool.

The thorn that's stuck in my craw, is why, out of all these model companies out there, we don't have a single A-7? Did you know that one of the largest most successful rescues in US Naval history was the rescue of a downed A-7 pilot in Vietnam? Seems there was a hard nosed carrier captain that threw everything but the kitchen sink at the North Vietnamese and literally kept them beat down and off this down pilot, and went in and got him. Doesn't mean anything I know.

So with all the WW2 planes out there, with many copies. It wouldn't make sense for some one to make some nice a nice A-7? I think it has it's place.

As for the F-8, watch the movie, watch that launch of the F-8, then tell me it's not one of the coolest things you've ever seen. Frankly it's hard to realize a human being can get shot off like that.

So yea we can all have our tastes, and I will always respect it.

Best Regards
              Woody
              Woody, for this conversation, I was just talking about scale stuff. I actually have more sport jets than scale ones. Once again... just preference!

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

I was asking more on the RC airplane aspect, since some concern was expressed about the low intake on the A7 possibly sucking in gravel, foliage, etc.

I would think the F16 design would be worse, since the nosewheel is ahead of the intake, and could kick up some loose dirt, small rocks, etc. as the plane rolls. At least with the A7, the intake is ahead of the nosewheel, so any debris possibly kicked up will be behind the intake.

Comment

I was asking more on the RC airplane aspect, since some concern was expressed about the low intake on the A7 possibly sucking in gravel, foliage, etc.

I would think the F16 design would be worse, since the nosewheel is ahead of the intake, and could kick up some loose dirt, small rocks, etc. as the plane rolls. At least with the A7, the intake is ahead of the nosewheel, so any debris possibly kicked up will be behind the intake.
                  Very nice observation Hoomi.

Woody

But close quarters, Flight deck, Very loud quite literally can't hear anything pretty much. Those A-7 were in fact man vacuums. But I personally think anything with propellers were worse. For an RC model, I'm thinking flight performance of an A-7 would be great. The flow tube would be very straight and unobstructed. Much like an F-86. If Alpha ever got the chance to work his magic on a 80 or 90mm version it has potential to be a high performer. W

Comment

• If I remember correctly, it was an A7/F8 that the flight lab at Edwards AFB modified to a scissors-wing many years ago. We had an airshow at Norton AFB shortly after the T38 Thunderbirds crash (tells you just how long ago it was), and because the Thunderbirds were supposed to have been a headliner for the show, the Air Force arranged for some other interesting aircraft to show up and do flyovers. The scissorswing flew over the first time with the wing at the 90 degree perpendicular setting, then circled back around at higher speed, with the wing angled to something like 30 degrees. I'd seen a scissorswing design for a model rocket, but had never seen it used in an actual flying, full-scale aircraft, and it was fascinating to watch.

If I had more aircraft construction skills, I'd be tempted to play around with a scissorswing design.

Comment

If I remember correctly, it was an A7/F8 that the flight lab at Edwards AFB modified to a scissors-wing many years ago. We had an airshow at Norton AFB shortly after the T38 Thunderbirds crash (tells you just how long ago it was), and because the Thunderbirds were supposed to have been a headliner for the show, the Air Force arranged for some other interesting aircraft to show up and do flyovers. The scissorswing flew over the first time with the wing at the 90 degree perpendicular setting, then circled back around at higher speed, with the wing angled to something like 30 degrees. I'd seen a scissorswing design for a model rocket, but had never seen it used in an actual flying, full-scale aircraft, and it was fascinating to watch.

If I had more aircraft construction skills, I'd be tempted to play around with a scissorswing design.
                      Ya know I'm not much of a magazine person. As a matter of fact I throw all my, "FREE" RC magazine's away and never even open them. But back in my flying days, in the lounges and ready rooms there were always copies of, "Aviation & Aerospace Weekly" laying around. I actually loved that magazine. I'm going to have to see if I can get a Sub to that one if it still exists. Pretty cool publication. I remember seeing the pict.s of that plane. Models and Prototypes. Never new what happened to that one actually. Wish I could have seen that one.

Woody

They made a prototype F-8 called a Super F-8 III I think. Crazy looking thing. Put a big engine in it. It would outrun and out maneuver just about anything in the sky. I don't really know why they didn't just put the engine in a standard F-8. Even being a slower plane the F-8's acting as aggressors for the F-4's and F-14's shot them down almost every time. I think something political was going on there to be honest. W

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot

That's what YOU think:
                        LOL. Bunch of crashing going on there.

Mike
                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• As if I don't already have too many planes, I need more!!!!

Comment

• FANTASTIC Dave.............I always appreciate a play on a PEANUTS script for obvious reasons ;)(Ahem....... my name really is Charlie Brown )
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                              FANTASTIC Dave.............I always appreciate a play on a PEANUTS script for obvious reasons ;)(Ahem....... my name really is Charlie Brown )
                              Seriously???LOL

Woody

I'm laughing with ya Charlie, not at ya!

Comment

Seriously???LOL

Woody

I'm laughing with ya Charlie, not at ya!
                                Seriously Woody, it's good to laugh either way ;)
                                So my dad and grandpa are also Charlie Brown. Since I was around before Shultz created the character of "Charlie", I don't need any steenkin authorization from the Shultz estate :Pto use the "characterization" on any of my models if I so deem a need to cause to date we never sought any recourse for the crap I (we) received most of my (some of theirs) life.LOL
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• So when ARE we going to see all these "new fabulous wonders"? Horizon's been cranking them out like crazy including an Osprey now.

Comment

Working...
                                  X