Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to see you back on this, I've been wondering if you were working on it. ;)
    AMA 424553

Comment

• Indeed it's due time I finish it up and give her a test flight. Then it's on to rebuilding the big one again. Might go even bigger than 6' though, may go for 12'. This time I might look into building it with more wood. I'm just not sure how I really want to do it yet. I'm just anxious to fly something that's all my own and very unique. I have ideas. And having done these smaller ones I really feel like I have a feel for what I need to do. I'm gonna try to do a sheeting over frame, then glass it. Fingers crossed! Ha!

Comment

• I'm glad you're still working on this. I have plans for a 6' Horton 229. Hoping I'll scratch build her some day. Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
          Well, back to this project, I finished programming everything into the horus x10. Just got to make the battery covers and it'll be go for test flight this weekend.
          fantastic, hope she is stable, if it's too crazy maybe this is a candidate for a gyro or stabilization ? Hope it goes well, I love flying wings, so pure. Happy landings !
          rc flyin addict

Comment

• The flying wing is a pretty ambitious endeavor ! I still think if it was me, I would maiden her with a vertical stabilizer, just until I had her pitch dialed in. :Cool:

Comment

• Oh yeah, if I do any of that it will be in the ultimate build of this the 4.0, that's the one is gonna be putting together everything I've learned from these builds to make one that should be finally perfect. It's why I'm looking to do a skin over frame design. I think it will make the motor and electronics placement easier. Also on that one I will run a gyro :) this small one is just more or less a proof of concept for battery placement.

Comment

• Using a temporary vert. stab. sounds like a good idea. Definitely stabilization. Doc

Comment

• I studied the Horten brothers stuff a bit. Saw some of it first hand at Udvar Hazy last year. Built a few test wings powered with props.
                  This one has over a hundred flights on it. 155mph... GPS onboard. No gyro. 5’ wingspan.
                  The key to stabilization in a true flying wing is wingtip washout. Any design with little or no washout will waller visibly side to side. A fare amount of washout helps resolve this issue immensely.
                  I’ve never had serious stabilization issues without a gyro.This is made of holographic foam board and flies on a 4s 5000mAh.
                  Its super fast. I have no desire to muck up a good thing and go scale. I made up plans for a 200mph version.
                  If I can get the giant scale PC-6 done with some time to spare I’ll do the wing this spring...
                  Been a rough winter in PA plowing snow.

Comment

• Yes! That's the idea with going to the frame and skin design. I want to be able to work the washout as well as easier shaping.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B256B379-D701-45DE-A477-EADA78D41764.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	113067Click image for larger version

Name:	9CAA6323-1CF9-4FB7-98C3-5048AE5C3D40.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	113068 Im blessed to live smack in the middle of the two greatest aviation museums in the world.
                      National Museum USAF and Udvar-Hazy NASM. Both of which I visited last year. Just so much to see!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	4A7B6305-44C5-4181-9185-F15535E28385.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	113064Click image for larger version

Name:	F59E0B81-E1D4-45E3-AF3B-6F257F4DEB0A.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	113065Click image for larger version

Name:	E795ED1C-FF88-45B6-80DB-0EEA7C58372B.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	113066
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Good to learn about the washout improving stability. Doc

Comment

• My long time RC friend from childhood and I still fly together. He loves to build from foam board. It’s cheap and strong as hell. With some practice in technique it’s actually a great medium to build experimental planes with as it’s so cost effective and provides fast builds, days rather than weeks to complete. The guys at Flightest have many video’s to help you learn to ropes. This is where I learned the things necessary to construct foamboard planes and flying wings.

Comment

• Typically in RC we build from the outside in. When you build a flying wing with very little room inside, you must design from the inside out to create and accommodate the necessary room to place the batteries while using the battery compartment structure as a spar.

Building wingtip washout into a foam board wing as you bend and hot glue it requires a table jig set up at the necessary angle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D3308F0-B689-427E-8D24-E58C192B84F8.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	113074

Bob

Comment

• Yeah, a Horton 229 would have to be built around the EDF's and, I'm afraid, with some sacrifice to scale qualities. Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                Yeah, a Horton 229 would have to be built around the EDF's and, I'm afraid, with some sacrifice to scale qualities. Doc
                                I don’t know Doc, having seen the engineering FreeWing put into their F-14 and A-10, I think they could design a very scale Horten, and that thing would be grass field capable! Twin 80mm! You’d have to put lights on it, itd disappear in a second due to its stealth!:Scared:

Comment

• Flying a wing that moves at 150mph plus is a whole new experience that nothing else will prepare you for. I doubt an edf wing will ever be as fast as a prop wing. None of my edf jets would even come close to catching my wing. I have a Stinger 90mm and even on a 6s 8000mAh it’s a dog compared to the wing. The first few flights on the 3rd version which is the pictured wing, I was shaking like a chihuahua crappin’ razor blades, it’s that fast and it’s here n gone. Plus the stealth aspect of the wing only shape. If you get too far out the best thing to do is pop straight up and do an Immelmann back at yourself. I build washout into the entire aft end of the span, really locks the stability in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                                    Flying a wing that moves at 150mph plus is a whole new experience that nothing else will prepare you for. I doubt an edf wing will ever be as fast as a prop wing. None of my edf jets would even come close to catching my wing. I have a Stinger 90mm and even on a 6s 8000mAh it’s a dog compared to the wing. The first few flights on the 3rd version which is the pictured wing, I was shaking like a chihuahua crappin’ razor blades, it’s that fast and it’s here n gone. Plus the stealth aspect of the wing only shape. If you get too far out the best thing to do is pop straight up and do an Immelmann back at yourself. I build washout into the entire aft end of the span, really locks the stability in.
                                    What motor/prop combination are you using?

Comment

• 3542/1450kv motor
                                      70amp esc
                                      8x8 apc prop
                                      4s either 4500 or 5000mAh

the holographic foam board has a plastic coating on it, super smooth finish for the laminar flow to just rip over.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips and everything! I am getting more and more ideas on how I want to put this together for the final project.

Comment

• I have a vintage projeti , set it up w mega 16/15/3 and a 4.7x4.7 speed prop cc50. This thing rips, easily passes my jets and is crazy stable. Great speed envelope and floats coming in, flying wings perform like nothing else, the cg is critical without a tail. I never tire of flying it.
                                          rc flyin addict

Comment

Working...
                                          X