Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh good, MRC just saved me some money, my piggy bank will wait for the next one.

Comment

• Yeahhhhhhh buddy! Can't get any better than this!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Not sure what you mean by "live". Mine was a balsa twin engine kit. I'd take a foam one in an instant but I highly doubt Motion would take a foray into the "flying animal" arena.

Nevertheless, I think it's going to be a "crow" since I see a lot of guessers are going to be eating some.
        Age joke.

Comment

• Answer Key to the riddle for Project Pivot: Freewing twin 80mm MiG-29 Fulcrum

"I’d once been the fear they thought to blind" --This riddle is written from the perspective of the aircraft and its armament. The MiG-29 was initially feared and thought to be a huge threat to the West, and its heat-seeking missiles needed to "blinded" (flares) to be defeated
          "Though seldom bitten proved them right" --The MiG-29, however, seldom got into any real engagements that demonstrated its actual air-to-air combat capabilities.
          "Lured past fences coming near" --The MiG-29's primary role was defense, as its limited fuel capacity limited it to near-field engagements. From its perspective, the West would be "coming near", at which point, an engagement would be begin [see next line]
          "Their snakes to his seven three" --"Their snakes" is a reference to the West's AIM-9 Sidewinder (Sidewinder is a type of snake), "to his seven three", refers to the pilot's R-73 missile. The R-73 Archer missile was the MiG-29's most potent weapon against the West and regarded as the only weapon system that stood a chance against an F-15 or F-16.
          "Writhing thistles serpent dance" -- "Writhing thistles" is a reference to the Russian Thistle (common plant in the Siberian plains) and the American Thistle (tumbleweed in the US that originated in Russia) that are writhing/fighting together (Dogfight), "serpent dance" = Sidewinders/missiles in the air during a dogfight
          "On through Issac’s moody Rest" -- Issac Levitan ("Issac"), a Russian painter known for Mood ("moody") paintings, painted Eternal Rest ("Rest"), which shows a billowing cloudscape over a Russian plain, where a dogfight would have occurred both "on" and "through" those clouds.
          "Concealed suffused a mighty light" -- Dual reference to both the MiG-29's optical camouflage and the Cold War ("concealed"), but eventually the MiG-29 has spread throughout the world to 26 operators "suffused a mighty light"
          "They’ve come
          And I

Turn way from death" --This ending phrase returns to the original perspective of the riddle's first line ("I"), as the narrator recognizes that the Serpents/Sidewinders/West are coming over the horizon so turns away and returns to base. "Turn away" is also a reference to "Pivot", which was the MiG-29's Project Name, and to pivot is to turn away. "They" can also be read as a reference to the 26 countries operating the MiG-29 in the modern era, indicating that this Cold War platform has survived to see a day where multi-national partnerships [hopefully] erase the need for "death".

To decipher this riddle, you would have needed to be able to place the "seven three" as the R-73 missile. That likely would have unlocked the rest of the clues (defensive aircraft for dogfighting that rarely actually fought). An even more obscure knowledge of the history of how the Russian Thistle came to American and become known as Tumbleweed (a recurring American symbol/trope of the Wild West), would have illuminated the Russian/American connection. "Russian jet" + "73" is an easy Google search result away from the R-73 missile. Once you knew the R-73 missile, you could have narrowed down the options to the Russian jet types that carried it, and then removed the ones we or others already produce (Su-35, MiG-21, Su-30). The MiG-29 would have been the only obvious jet on the remaining list.

Again, riddles aren't meant to be easy to decipher, so don't shake your head too much or hang it too low. 'Hope y'all had fun!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• wow its that big i wont need fed ex any more......awsome mig ...luv the scheme gota get me one.. yeye when i fly more jets first

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Age joke.
              OK, got it! It's been so long since I had one as a pet, I forgot.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                Oh good, MRC just saved me some money, my piggy bank will wait for the next one.
                Yep. I've been thinking about hanging up my wings, and this release is urging me to the decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Yep. I've been thinking about hanging up my wings, and this release is urging me to the decision.
                  How does this release influence the decision. I'm sure that you have plenty of birds to fly...…..maybe a refocus on the reason that got ya into the sport in the first place which was for the joy of flying the models
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• My flying buddy just preordered the Mig 29 and I'm super excited for him...

I'm still hoping to see the large delta gap that the discontinued and beloved Eurofighter left open to be filled with a beautiful big single 90mm Rafale with moderate 12s battery real estate for us thrust junkies!

Ugh... That'd be AMAZING! 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post
                      My flying buddy just preordered the big 29 and I'm super excited for him...

I'm still hoping to see the big delta gap that the discontinued and beloved Eurofighter left open to be filled with a beautiful big single 90mm Rafale with moderate 12s battery real estate for us thrust junkies!

Ugh... That'd be AMAZING! 🤤🤤🤤🤤
                      Same here, going to hold out for a Rafele, maybe just maybe one day............!!

Comment

• Watching Alpha live designing a part in CAD for an upcoming project. Pretty cool!
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

How does this release influence the decision. I'm sure that you have plenty of birds to fly...…..maybe a refocus on the reason that got ya into the sport in the first place which was for the joy of flying the models
                          The whole reason I started was this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xb-70.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	267663
                          The NiceSky XB-70. Loved the Valk since the first time I saw it. I saw a YouTube video and started working toward it. Got it and assembled it after I achieved what I thought was enough proficiency to fly it. Well it never got off the ground because the cheap LG collapsed, it cartwheeled, and broke into several pieces. By the time I saved up enough to buy a replacement, they were out of production. But I kept up with the hobby with other planes. But last year (2019) they eliminated my shift, and the new shift I work now doesn't give me as much flexibility as the old one, and trying to keep up with the yard, bad weather, the constantly changing whims of the FAA, have take the fun out of it. This and the lack of not finding anything lately that catches my eye (and it's not just MRC and I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" or detract from MRC's accomplishments). Or I'n just getting too picky in my old age.

Comment

• Definitely a good reason! The Valkyrie was ahead of its time, and still looks futuristic even today.
                            I too got into this hobby primarily because of an all-white military jet that never entered service. The funny bit is I've yet to actually fly an EDF!

It's been a funny year. Enthusiasm in general seems in short supply.

Comment

• There was some discussion over on the Mig-29 forum about larger jets, and Alpha was pointing out that the market gets thinner if you go above 6s. Well, that is probably true...I think almost everybody at our club has an Avanti. It's hard to see a 12S plane being that universal. But then I look over at the HSD lineup, and it has many 12S options. And no disrespect to HSD, but IMHO the quality and service isn't nearly as good as Freewing/MotionRC. So I wonder if Motion did a larger format EDF, maybe there is some stored-up demand there, just because anyone who ever bought or considered buying a large HSD plane would jump at the chance to have a Freewing plane instead. Probably MotionRC couldn't have ten different 105mm-120mm models all sell well, but I think the first one would make a huge splash. (Well, at least mine would because our field is near a bay and I would probably crash it into the water, lol).

I don't know...it is easy to advise gambling with someone else's money. Clearly the 4S-6S range has been super popular, and seems a safe bet. But I wonder if MotionRC has been so successful that it eventually eats into the demand...at some point, we are all going to have a garage full of 4S-6S jets and prop planes, and might not be so excited about another of the same. The Blackhorse addition seems like a very sensible expansion into balsa, and some of those planes are larger (10S-12S region). But there is no PNP >6S from MotionRC yet, as far as I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                There was some discussion over on the Mig-29 forum about larger jets, and Alpha was pointing out that the market gets thinner if you go above 6s. Well, that is probably true...I think almost everybody at our club has an Avanti. It's hard to see a 12S plane being that universal. But then I look over at the HSD lineup, and it has many 12S options. And no disrespect to HSD, but IMHO the quality and service isn't nearly as good as Freewing/MotionRC. So I wonder if Motion did a larger format EDF, maybe there is some stored-up demand there, just because anyone who ever bought or considered buying a large HSD plane would jump at the chance to have a Freewing plane instead. Probably MotionRC couldn't have ten different 105mm-120mm models all sell well, but I think the first one would make a huge splash. (Well, at least mine would because our field is near a bay and I would probably crash it into the water, lol).

I don't know...it is easy to advise gambling with someone else's money. Clearly the 4S-6S range has been super popular, and seems a safe bet. But I wonder if MotionRC has been so successful that it eventually eats into the demand...at some point, we are all going to have a garage full of 4S-6S jets and prop planes, and might not be so excited about another of the same. The Blackhorse addition seems like a very sensible expansion into balsa, and some of those planes are larger (10S-12S region). But there is no PNP >6S from MotionRC yet, as far as I know.
                                I enjoyed my FW jets, sold them all and got back in to scale helis, but I was thinking on getting a big HSD jet one day if I return to EDF jets, but I would love to see FW do a large jet myself, I would buy it in a heartbeat, well if it was something I want that is, I don't care for the new MiG that's coming, but I do like the size of it, hope to see a Freewing 105 mm F-16 or some other 105 mm jets if MRC enters that market, but for now I would love to see a twin 80mm F-15 or Eurofighter the same size as the new Mig 29 .............

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                  There was some discussion over on the Mig-29 forum about larger jets, and Alpha was pointing out that the market gets thinner if you go above 6s. Well, that is probably true...I think almost everybody at our club has an Avanti. It's hard to see a 12S plane being that universal. But then I look over at the HSD lineup, and it has many 12S options. And no disrespect to HSD, but IMHO the quality and service isn't nearly as good as Freewing/MotionRC. So I wonder if Motion did a larger format EDF, maybe there is some stored-up demand there, just because anyone who ever bought or considered buying a large HSD plane would jump at the chance to have a Freewing plane instead. Probably MotionRC couldn't have ten different 105mm-120mm models all sell well, but I think the first one would make a huge splash. (Well, at least mine would because our field is near a bay and I would probably crash it into the water, lol).

I'm not saying to have a 12s PNP...Just 6s with the battery space for 12s for those wanting to go that route and seek more power. It's an absolute win approach for all with 6s packs already.

Comment

• With this new inrunner power system that's in the T-33 and Mig-29, I'd love to see a new twin 80mm F-15E Strike Eagle in about 1/10 scale (current single 90mm is 1/13.5 scale, 1/10 would be right at the same size as the Mig-29). Two seater, conformal fuel tanks and lots of ordnance would make me push the Buy button.
                                    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                      With this new inrunner power system that's in the T-33 and Mig-29, I'd love to see a new twin 80mm F-15E Strike Eagle in about 1/10 scale (current single 90mm is 1/13.5 scale, 1/10 would be right at the same size as the Mig-29). Two seater, conformal fuel tanks and lots of ordnance would make me push the Buy button.
                                      My children need to eat pat

Comment

• Ditto on the twin 80mm F-15E...or the new F-15EX version

Comment

• Yes, twin 80mm F-15 all scaled out, I would buy that.....

Comment

Working...
                                          X