Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing work sir! Looking forward to seeing that flight video. Your hard work, and thought process shines brightly with this Gem of a Mod...:Cool:

Jim.

Comment

• I only wish to have half of your ingenuity, wisdom and forethought!!

Awesome job Steve :Cool:

Comment

• I wish I had half of what you think I have. LOL

Comment

• Just when we were nicely finished ewwing and ahhhing over the A-10, Steve rolls out the A-4!:P:P:P:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:
          Just when we were nicely finished ewwing and ahhhing over the A-4, Steve rolls out the F-4!:Silly::Silly::Silly::Silly::Silly::Silly::Cool: :Cool::Cool::Cool:
          Just when we were nicely finished ewwing and ahhhing over the F-4, Steve rolls out the __________
          (Fill in the blank):Not-Talking:
          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Awesom job on the chute rcjetdude!

Comment

• Yes indeed! Steve rolls out the Foil!

Comment

• OK. Here is a taxi and chute deployment video for you. I quickly got it to this point so I could test it out and it works great.

Comment

• :Win:

Comment

• Very nice! That looked and worked great... You might have just created a sideline job should you choose? I don't even have this Jet on order yet, But I'd but the chute kit if you decide too make a few? Hint, hint!;)

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                      OK. Here is a taxi and chute deployment video for you. I quickly got it to this point so I could test it out and it works great.

And you doubted it?!:P
                      You master mod - monster! Great work my friend! :Cool:

Comment

• Way to go Steve!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                          OK. Here is a taxi and chute deployment video for you. I quickly got it to this point so I could test it out and it works great.

Have you thought about selling kits? I would totally buy some!

Comment

• I would so be one of the first in line for a kit (hint, hint)... ;) AWESOME Steve!!
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Well done, Steve!

His video clearly demonstrates an issue I've been mulling over - how to improve the ground turning radius. Anyone else noticed that it's tough to turn this plane around in less than 20 feet?

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post
                                Well done, Steve!

His video clearly demonstrates an issue I've been mulling over - how to improve the ground turning radius. Anyone else noticed that it's tough to turn this plane around in less than 20 feet?
                                Freewing mechanically limits the turning radius on many models to minimize the risk of tipping them over after a landing when enough speed has not yet been scrubbed. It's common to see pilots trying to turn around too soon at too high a ground speed, resulting in scraped wingtips or worse.

To tighten the turning radius, move the clevis to the outermost hole on the steering servo. In models with a steering arm on the nose strut as well (instead of the captive sliding arm), move the clevis to the innermost hole. Experiment with your model and verify that the nose wheel doesn't bind in the retracted position. Two mixes may prove helpful:

1) A mix that cancels nose strut steering when the landing gear is retracted (this requires the steering servo to be in a separate rx port, however).
                                2) A mix that limits the steering throw as the throttle increases. i.e. on 0% throttle, the steering can move 100% of its range. At 30% throttle, the steering can move 60% of its range. Etc, etc. You'll need to experiment with your specific model (and runway surface) to find a balance between having the thrust to get moving, and having enough steering to matter.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Freewing mechanically limits the turning radius on many models to minimize the risk of tipping them over after a landing when enough speed has not yet been scrubbed. It's common to see pilots trying to turn around too soon at too high a ground speed, resulting in scraped wingtips or worse.

To tighten the turning radius, move the clevis to the outermost hole on the steering servo. In models with a steering arm on the nose strut as well (instead of the captive sliding arm), move the clevis to the innermost hole. Experiment with your model and verify that the nose wheel doesn't bind in the retracted position. Two mixes may prove helpful:

1) A mix that cancels nose strut steering when the landing gear is retracted (this requires the steering servo to be in a separate rx port, however).
                                  2) A mix that limits the steering throw as the throttle increases. i.e. on 0% throttle, the steering can move 100% of its range. At 30% throttle, the steering can move 60% of its range. Etc, etc. You'll need to experiment with your specific model (and runway surface) to find a balance between having the thrust to get moving, and having enough steering to matter.

I usually put the steering servo on a separate channel, give it the maximum travel available without binding and jack up the expo to 40%.
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Way to go Steve! Excited to see that baby at Joe Nall!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
                                      Way to go Steve! Excited to see that baby at Joe Nall!!
                                      Thanks Anthony. So far so good. More testing required of the jettison function. Getting the cockpit detail and radio installation sorted out now. I am soooo ready to start painting it and having fun along with everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clearblue View Post
                                        Very nice! That looked and worked great... You might have just created a sideline job should you choose? I don't even have this Jet on order yet, But I'd but the chute kit if you decide too make a few? Hint, hint!;)

Jim
                                        Thanks Jim. Contemplating what I can do for a kit. I may be able to provide a short kit with instructions for what could be done to complete it. I could provide the custom fiber glass tail parts and maybe some other components Paul Helmsman is the chute guru extraordinaire which is the most costly part of the system but also the most visually appealing. I have no intentions of making chutes myself. I am excited that he is looking at making a red/white chute which would really be the icing on the cake IMHO. Paul and I have collaborated enough on this project that his chutes should fit in the tail section as I have designed it. He is the one who came up with the ingenious idea to use the existing CF tube in the tail section for the release mechanism.

Comment

• I'll probably be ordering one of the chutes from a model rocket supply shop, posted earlier. What size did you wind up installing, Steve ? Not a lot of room back there, even with the new tail-piece.

Comment

Working...
                                          X