X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eastdave2 View Post
    I might be missing something here, are we talking about this 3d printed tank? or is this your own design? I note mine doesn't have those nice little wings at the back
    ED, Let me check my STL files, I might have modified the design. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Any chance of using your files as you mentioned your weights savings?

Br D

Comment

Any chance of using your files as you mentioned your weights savings?Br D
        ED, I found the files, though it is too large to 'paste' to the forum post here. I will try to send those to you using a PM. If that fails, I will PM those to you in two (2) messages. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	292495Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 PS 1 Cropped Blow Up Contrast.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	292496
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Cheers Bro, love your scheme and weathering

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks and both STL File Sets were sent via PM. Best, LB

Cheers Bro, love your scheme and weathering
          Hey Dave, if you don't mind me butting in to the conversation, the weight of this piece has a lot to do with the amount of infill you select when you're printing.

It will certainly be very heavy if you go with 25% infill or greater. But you can print it with 10% infill, or even zero infill (hollow) and it will be relatively light. It definitely won't be as strong, but that's not a big issue if you are careful when handling it. I printed mine hollow, and yeah you can deform it when you squeeze it, but its strong enough to mount on the plane and fly it.

I don't know how much mine weighs! Its inside my RC storage trailer which is covered by about 4 feet of snow!

Name:	600gal tank.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	292511
          Here's mine with the tank. Repaint, with Callie graphics, etc. before this version was available from Motion. I have added several 3DP details, but not as much as Elbee. (Meh, its a work in progress)
          LOL you can see the trailer in the background!

Name:	table 9-20.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	292510
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
            Hey Dave, if you don't mind me butting in to the conversation, the weight of this piece has a lot to do with the amount of infill you select when you're printing. It will certainly be very heavy if you go with 25% infill or greater. But you can print it with 10% infill, or even zero infill (hollow) and it will be relatively light. It definitely won't be as strong, but that's not a big issue if you are careful when handling it. I printed mine hollow, and yeah you can deform it when you squeeze it, but its strong enough to mount on the plane and fly it. I don't know how much mine weighs! Its inside my RC storage trailer which is covered by about 4 feet of snow!
            TMD, Happy New Year. Question: do you remember who originally designed this version of the F-4 600 gal. drop tank? By the way, great setup suggestion, too. Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks, guys for the support, I am enjoying this aspect to scale modelling/detailing smaller planes, as I normally fly larger turbines.

It is a lot of fun to break out the airbrush and 3D printing modification. I was a little shocked how easily the Freewing paint was removed from a wing after applying a coat of Rustoleum gloss white

Comment

Thanks, guys for the support, I am enjoying this aspect to scale modelling/detailing smaller planes, as I normally fly larger turbines. It is a lot of fun to break out the airbrush and 3D printing modification. I was a little shocked how easily the Freewing paint was removed from a wing after applying a coat of Rustoleum gloss white
                ED, I try to leave as much of the OEM paint on the airframe and apply a couple of coats of Minwax water-based Polycrylic. Use the clear semi-gloss, it sands the easiest. This seals the OEM paint and provides a great base for the primer. Some guys don't even do that since the newer Freewing models have an improved acrylic paint now. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TMD, Happy New Year. Question: do you remember who originally designed this version of the F-4 600 gal. drop tank? By the way, great setup suggestion, too. Best, LB
                  The version without the fins is by "Apmech1" and the one with the fins was done by "Dirty Dee" - but he has removed many of his designs from Thingiverse including this one..
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Happy New Year everyone

Thanks to Elbee for helping me with my overweight 600 Gallon drop tank, as you can see great weight saving from the original.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 09.34.17.png
Views:	432
Size:	619.6 KB
ID:	292758

Comment

• Elbee
                      Elbee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They're are very pretty and so skinny. LOL. Well done, ED. Best, LB

• Has anyone done a SUU 16 or SUU 23 rotary cannon pods for the F-4?

Comment

• Elbee
                      Elbee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I forgot to 'quote' you so, see below. Best, LB

• Hey TE, Yes. Check on Thingiverse.. Do a Site Search for Freewing F-4 and your will find a design by apmech1. I have printed the set and it is great. See below. Happy printing! Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	293325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (2).JPG
Views:	440
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	293326Click image for larger version

Name:	..and kill MIGs.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	293327
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey the mudduck, where did you get the gimbels for your transmitter?

Comment

• Looks great Elbee

Comment

• Thanks Elbee they look very cool

Comment

• That looks super cool thank you Elbee!

Comment

• Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
                              Hey the mudduck, where did you get the gimbels for your transmitter?
                              Hi Steven,
                              I found them on Amazon, search for "RC transmitter stick ends" and you'll see several examples being sold by different outlets. I fly with the end of my thumbs and I find these very helpful.

Comment

• I see the sparrows only at the front, was this a std configuration?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 10.17.06.png
Views:	324
Size:	763.8 KB
ID:	296335

Comment

I see the sparrows only at the front, was this a std configuration?]
                                  ED, nope, but the way the Freewing Phantom is designed, you need to print what I call 1/2 Sparrows since there is no cutouts for the aft Sparrows. A couple of guys added the inside MG door (closest to the centerline) and cycle those closed when the retracts are down. the Sparrow is cut in parts and mounted to the outside of the inside door. Hope I have helped. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I’m not sure if anyone posted some main wheel covers for the Freewing F-4, but just uploaded a STL file for it on my Thingiverse page and is now available for download.

Name:	9CB37143-27E5-4532-A2B0-6DCC7423542C.jpeg
Views:	382
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	296867

Comment

Working...
                                    X