X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

I have three FMS airplanes and find the quality to be "variable." Different qualities in different components for no apparent reason. But I'm willing to give it a shot. I know there are complaints about cost and all, but to be able to be flying in a matter of a few hours?? And the ease of repairs in foam?

Sign me up. I built when I was a teenager. I'm old. I don't want to live at the bench. I want to see these things zipping by me. Don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of builders. Just not what I want to do right now.
    I'm no spring chicken and fly ARF"s but still build. There's those days where it's just too windy or hot here to fly. There's just something about taking a box of sticks and constructing a flying machine out of them. Plus I can fly stuff nobody else has. As far as my FMS comment since I spend a few hours a week ( very part time as I'm retired) at the LHS as their air go to guy I get to see first hand customer issues with not only the quality but the service offered by different brands.
    Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

another thing that I didn't figure on when I ordered was the tax hh applied...31 dollars for Mississippi...they never charged me tax before I don't think lol I dont know but after tax and 449 for the plane it was only 30 dollars less then the 90mm freewing plane...plus I would not have to buy a back seat driver HH says no back seater to keep cost down right!! then charged 7.99 for a plastic pilot figure plus tax plus shipping...lets not even get into the price fms wants for landing gear..you would think it was made of gold...the nose gear for my fms t28 is 54 dollars and it bends on every landing lol...my rant over!!!!

Comment

I have looked at the manual specs. and either the weight they call out is flying weight, with lipo, or the eflite F-4 is the same weight as the Free Wing empty. The Eflite is about 6 inches shorter, and about 5 inches shorter span. One of the disappointing features is the retracts not being the grass ready type as in the FW. If you compare price, for each of the PNP models there is a difference, but time will tell if the flying is close to the same. I like both my FW Phantoms, in gray and Camo, but did like the color of this navy scheme. I believe my local hobby shops says this week they will be in. I plan to take a good look at it, before spending that kind of money.

Comment

I've got quite a few EFlite F-16 flights in now and have to say it flies really nice but I also have to say most of that is the AS3X receiver it comes with. If I compare it to the FW F-16 I say they are about equal. I have also added a XRP fan and motor in my FW F-16 so that makes the FW better in my opinion. Add that the prices and I do not like unpainted foam and foam missiles on the EFlite and nod goes to the FW. So when considering the new F-4 I have to think the same way and then I see the absolutely crazy replacement parts prices and I really see no way I'm buying one of the F-4s.

Comment

RM, you have 2 F/W Phantoms and worried about “spending that kind of money”, for shame !

Comment

Just got FedEx notice for a Friday delivery!!! WooHoo!

Comment

same here russ on the Friday delivery...hope it can be here but u never know

Comment

The Fastserve ( the dealer site) shows ours to the LHS shipped so it will be interesting to check it out when it arrives.I'm surprised as I waited almosta week before I decided to order one for the shop. Figured we'd be on the second shipment.

Mike.
                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Doh!

FedEx just changed my delivery date to Saturday!
                    I'm having it delivered to work so that's a bummer.

Comment

mine is in ms already so ill get it Friday eat your heart out russ lol

planning on maidening a few jets ive had sitting around taking up space Saturday,, if I screew em up ive made more room for others

Comment

Mine is coming today. Christmas!!!

But you don't think it's "grass-ready?" I'll have to compare to my FMS 70mm T-45. The wheels are pretty small. The mains have shocks but the nose does not and I had to do some machining to strengthen it.

I'll look forward to seeing what the Phantom has. THen again, the grass field I fly from is manicured and rolled. Not quite like a golf fairway but nicer than the typical rough.

Comment

theres a unboxing on rcg already ..looks good to me

Comment

Just got mine!

Comment

Got mine. Went together beautifully. Well engineered.

I think the wheels are grass-able.

The horizontal stab is way out of wack and I"ll need to pull the rudder and center it to the wing.

I need to add siginficant weight to the nose. I'll put it in front of the receiver. (BNF version) 6S 5000ma is as forward as I can get it.

Probably won't get it flying this weekend with my work schedule. But shouldn't be long.

I'll fly it several times before repainting it. Don't want to jinx myself. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
                                Got mine. Went together beautifully. Well engineered.

I think the wheels are grass-able.

The horizontal stab is way out of wack and I"ll need to pull the rudder and center it to the wing.

I need to add siginficant weight to the nose. I'll put it in front of the receiver. (BNF version) 6S 5000ma is as forward as I can get it.

Probably won't get it flying this weekend with my work schedule. But shouldn't be long.

I'll fly it several times before repainting it. Don't want to jinx myself. ;)
                                Hey Curly, is it true a dog is the only thing that can love a fighter pilot more then they love themselves?? Congrats on the new plane mate. Break a leg!

Best Regards
                                Woody

Comment

Just almost finished putting mine together but with one big problem...the left, aft wing screw will not line up no matter what. The other three screws went in beautifully. The three black wire connectors would not go in far enough either so there is a small space running down half of the wing. I thought the wheel was binding in the wheel well and not letting everything seat correctly so I shave a bit of foam out of the wheel well and it let the wheel turn fairly easily (where it would not rotate at all previously) but it did not help the alignment problem. The right wing went on perfectly as did the tail feathers. One note on installing the rudder is that you have to run the rudder servo wire under the little tunnel where elevator wires are running. The rudder screws weren't lining up right until I figured that out and then everything was perfect. The Phantom is gorgeous but I'm a bit frustrated after working all night on one screw to fit. I even thought the wing rod might be too long so I took it out and tried to install it without the rod ('cos you can put it in from the other side if need be and run it through the fuse) but it was same bad alignment. Might have to get a new wing to get it fixed. Taking it out to the field tomorrow to get some of the guys to look at it to see if they can McGiver it.
                                  Russ

Comment

not sure of the assembly of that (don't have it yet)

When I have a screw that has issues lining up. If possible slide a thin flexible item such as heavy monofilament fishing or weed-eater line in the plastic piece the screw is supposed to thread into (friction fit), then thread through the wing's hole and assemble. See if that allows you to draw the holes into alignment, pull the line and insert the screw.

See if that will help you.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                      not sure of the assembly of that (don't have it yet)

When I have a screw that has issues lining up. If possible slide a thin flexible item such as heavy monofilament fishing or weed-eater line in the plastic piece the screw is supposed to thread into (friction fit), then thread through the wing's hole and assemble. See if that allows you to draw the holes into alignment, pull the line and insert the screw.

See if that will help you.
                                      You sir are a genius!

Comment

No... someone else taught me that.

probably 30 years ago when dealing with a problem ARF
                                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37425.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	186034Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37426.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	186035Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	186033 Successful maiden and subsequent flight using 6S-5000 lipos pushed all the way forward. Didn’t balance it, figured no where else to put lipo so let her rip! I used my own FrSky rx with 100% elevator throws (40% expo) and 60% aileron expo. I had to give about three clicks of down elevator and two clicks of left aileron and she was cruising around nicely at half throttle. Very forgiving and tracks straight and lands like a *****cat! Take off was about 3/4 throttle and no flaps due to wind down the runway and it took off in about 75 feet but I was conservative, it will get up in 50 easily. This jet was everything I hoped it would be. The wing attachments need some work but my wings won’t be coming off unless something tragic happens. I flew 1/2 throttle the whole time for 3.5 minutes and came down with 3.8 per cell. The second flight I pushed it up to several full throttle passes and it sounds great, quiet and SMOOTHHHH! A high alpha landing just bleeds off speed well with half flap landing. Love it! Maiden pic attached.

P.S. see the mark on the fuselage that is a good reference for proper elevator alignment. The line for the middle of elevator should match up with line on the mark on fuselage. Note: my elevator in pic is NOT in the right position.

Comment

Working...
                                          X