Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Eflite F4 Phantom ll 80mm

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the successful maiden Russ! I Wish you many many successful flights mate.

Woody

Comment

Congrats Russ! Sounds like you have a fine model there. Enjoy and happy landings!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

nice job russ just put mine together and all seems good just have to get the stones to take it out on a good wind day

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Hey Curly, is it true a dog is the only thing that can love a fighter pilot more then they love themselves?? Congrats on the new plane mate. Break a leg!

Best Regards
          Woody
          It is absolutely true.

Comment

Maidened mine today. A bit more wind and a little gusty but it was right down the runway so gave it a shot. I talked about changing the stab to align it with the wing but ended up putting in a bunch of nose up trim, so will likely be 80% back towards the original setup. The field is manicured grass and was fine.

As it was gusty and a bit turbulent I left the gear down. Took off at half flaps. Flew around for a while and dropped the rest and the nose up bias I'd ball-parked was perfect. Landed great. If the wind had been lower and I'd had a couple more batteries I'd have tried it again. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9124.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	186090Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9126.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	186091

Comment

Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
              Maidened mine today. A bit more wind and a little gusty but it was right down the runway so gave it a shot. I talked about changing the stab to align it with the wing but ended up putting in a bunch of nose up trim, so will likely be 80% back towards the original setup. The field is manicured grass and was fine.

As it was gusty and a bit turbulent I left the gear down. Took off at half flaps. Flew around for a while and dropped the rest and the nose up bias I'd ball-parked was perfect. Landed great. If the wind had been lower and I'd had a couple more batteries I'd have tried it again. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9124.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	186090Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9126.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	186091
              Congratulations on the successful maiden Curly.

Woody

Comment

Forgot to mention that I put two coats of water-based polyurethane, clear with satin finish. Brand is Varethane. Applied with foam brush and it left no brush marks.

Also a buddy maidemed his new F4 today but he left in his AS3X and had a good maiden and was in stabilize mode and on landing approach he put in full flaps and said the nose dropped quickly but he compensated . He has since dialed in some flaps elevator programming.

P.S. Found YouTube Maiden video

Comment

Congrats on your maiden, Curly, and to your friend too, Russ!
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I will eventually peel the decals and repaint the whole thing. Anyone have a link to a good source for either? I know about Calli graphics and will use them for some of the detail.

Comment

I paint right over the stock decals on all of my foamies, from all brands. Eflite's waterslide decals are thin like many others, which is very convenient when it comes to painting over them. In my experience, removing decals can be tedious, and oftentimes can mar the underlying foam, creating an uneven surface if the foam cells become shorn. At that point, you'll need filler or WBPU and sanding to return the surface to a uniform level. As an example, I painted directly over this FlightLine FW-190 with its prominent serpent decal and this Freewing F-14 with its approximately sixty decals. Painting directly over all of them was quick and easy, and the end result is convincing. I'd recommend trying this approach to see if it fits your needs.

If you did want to go the route of removing the decals and refinishing the surface, I recommend checking out Chris Wolfe's excellent guide on TheRCGeek.com. He made an excellent tutorial to refinishing foamies using an FMS Mustang.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4227.JPG
Views:	1500
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	186170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.JPG
Views:	1438
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	186171

Name:	DSC08448.JPG
Views:	1422
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	186172Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08453.JPG
Views:	1521
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	186173
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

curly looks like you have a ton of down elevator in it in the pic is that the way it flew or just not adjusted for flight (like u moved it picking it up etc)

Comment

probably will need some radar help when I fly my f4 so had to put a rio in the back seat

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                            probably will need some radar help when I fly my f4 so had to put a rio in the back seat
                            I assume you used the "hatch" that was built in to put the RIO in there. Is there a way to get to the front pilot other than cutting him out? I gotta paint the helmets at the very least, and might go whole new figures with the proper helmet designs.

Comment

So... playing with the stab. The attached pics who what I THOUGHT it should be, what worked at full flaps, and what I think is intended to be a reference mark....

Name:	stab level wing.png
Views:	561
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	186553Click image for larger version

Name:	stab ref point.png
Views:	559
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	186554Click image for larger version

Name:	stab full flaps.png
Views:	530
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	186555Click image for larger version

Name:	full flaps.png
Views:	512
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	186556

Comment

thanks curly… have to ask ya.. did u ever fly the f4 solo ? no rio ever?

Comment

I have a good story about a Phantom flying with no RIO. True story.

My good friend John was a Phantom pilot during Vietnam. One day Bob Hope and his group flew out to the carrier to do a show. Ann Margaret missed the shuttle flight. John's squadron commander ordered him to fly to the shore in his F4 and pick her up! This was the late 60's so John was only about 20 at the time and Ann was probably only a year or two older.
                                  Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

By the way, he said she looked really good in a flight suit!
                                    Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post
                                      By the way, he said she looked really good in a flight suit!
                                      Probably smelled a lot better than the average RIO too...

Comment

Any grass op reports yet :)?

Comment

• Curly...yes that mark on fuselage is reference point for the mid-line of the elevator...I maidened with mine a bit below that mark and had to click in about 4 clicks of down to bring her perfectly level.

Comment

Working...
                                          X