Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I tend to think its cogging noise,which is not an issue. Magnets interacting with the de-energized stator putting impulses of magnetic drag on the motor, then the thrust tube acting to amplify the sound like a megaphone."
    My fms fans in my other planes all make this noise, and I believe this explanation is it exactly.

Comment

• Look up the tailpipe at the fan inside the shroud. Is there equal amounts of light coming through between the ends of the blades and the shroud? Or is there a spot or two where there is less light or no light? Just eliminating the possibility that the blades may be touching the shroud at some point in the circumference.

Comment

• 4 flights now and it's doing awesome. Got it dialed in pretty well. Slows up nicely and lands with a good nose up attitude. AS3X is great. Very solid. LOVE it. Wish I had a radar gun to get a speed. Looks pretty damn fast.

Comment

• Yes put 6 flights on mine this weekend and, although I fly FrSky receiver, mine is also dialed in and I'm also loving the high alpha landings. It's as quick as I would like it to be and it slows up nicely for landings (with flap/elevator mix). I found half flaps is best on windy days cos full flaps limit aileron effectiveness to maneuver, if needed. My only gripe is that it's not as visible as I like it at a distance so I'm going to be adding some more red paint on the wingtips and maybe horizontal stab and vertical stab. I use 40% expo on ailerons and 30% on elevators to keep it nice and smooth. I always have 100% throw just in case of an emergency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
            Yes put 6 flights on mine this weekend and, although I fly FrSky receiver, mine is also dialed in and I'm also loving the high alpha landings. It's as quick as I would like it to be and it slows up nicely for landings (with flap/elevator mix). I found half flaps is best on windy days cos full flaps limit aileron effectiveness to maneuver, if needed. My only gripe is that it's not as visible as I like it at a distance so I'm going to be adding some more red paint on the wingtips and maybe horizontal stab and vertical stab. I use 40% expo on ailerons and 30% on elevators to keep it nice and smooth. I always have 100% throw just in case of an emergency.
            I found the same in full flaps. I started with 80% ailerons, increased it to 90% after a couple flights, and on a missed landing with full flaps, stiff left crosswind, had trouble getting it to roll left to turn crosswind. So I've gone 100% alerons with 40% expo. And have been flying in high rate the whole time. Have never found the elevator to be too responsive. It's fine.

Comment

• I'm getting read to strip and paint mine in the old squadron colors. Any good gouge page for how to go about it? I DO want to peal the decals, strip as much as I can then prime the whole thing gray.

My old squadron used a couple shades of gray, and I want it to match Calli's gray vinyl lettering, so I got them to send me gray samples and I'll color match to a good grade exterior vinyl. But again, got to get a primer that'll stick to the foam.

Comment

• Pull the graphics and prime it with your choice of primer. I always prime, just me. Clean clean and more clean with denatural alcohol. Harbor freight small spray gun
                Planes
                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                  Pull the graphics and prime it with your choice of primer. I always prime, just me. Clean clean and more clean with denatural alcohol. Harbor freight small spray gun
                  Do you have a recommended primer? I also saw an article about using duct tape to peel most the paint off, and acetone to get the rest.

Comment

• Alpha recommended just painting over water decals I used rust o lem 2x primer and paint rattlecan stuff and it turned out nice on my f18 tails Click image for larger version

Name:	ryb20.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	192988

Comment

• I’m debating repainting mine as well. These decals will more than likely need to be removed as they aren’t flush like water slide decals are.

But after doing a full paint strip on a plane and just doing a coat of primer over the stock paint on another, i will most definitely not be removing the paint on this f-4. I think it’s completely unnecessary and it takes a LONG time. You can’t tell the difference in the completed product.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

Do you have a recommended primer? I also saw an article about using duct tape to peel most the paint off, and acetone to get the rest.
                        I use the sample latex Paint from Home Depot

Primer I use Krylon foam paint you get at arts and craft store. Even has a foam looking airplane on it. Use it on my B-17 I repainted
                        Attached Files
                        Planes
                        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

I use the sample latex Paint from Home Depot

Primer I use Krylon foam paint you get at arts and craft store. Even has a foam looking airplane on it. Use it on my B-17 I repainted
                          Interesting. I visted their website and a Q&A said it could not be used on EPO, but heck looks like it worked for you. I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyAA View Post
                            I’m debating repainting mine as well. These decals will more than likely need to be removed as they aren’t flush like water slide decals are.

But after doing a full paint strip on a plane and just doing a coat of primer over the stock paint on another, i will most definitely not be removing the paint on this f-4. I think it’s completely unnecessary and it takes a LONG time. You can’t tell the difference in the completed product.

Good luck!
                            The problem is when you peal some of the stickers they take the paint with it, down to the bare foam. As long as there are no "edges," I don't need to get it all off. But I want to try and make sure whatever I apply will stick. If such a thing is assurable.

Comment

• the water decals on my f18 (applied by me very poorly lol) I rattle caned over them on the tail, when I tried to pull off one of callie graphics that I got too close and touched the paint it pulled the old decal and paint off so had to glue it ll back together the decals on the f4 are a lot better then what I put on the f18..id just paint over them and not worry about it

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	ryb18.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	193217 here ya go curley,,, turbine f4 from Mississippi jets a few weeks ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ryb18.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	193217 here ya go curley,,, turbine f4 from Mississippi jets a few weeks ago
                                  Outstanding! I think they had just repainted the last of that schemed airplane when I joined the squadron in 1981.

Comment

here ya go curley,,, turbine f4 from Mississippi jets a few weeks ago
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	scooter.png
Views:	604
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	193268

JEEZ I just read the names on the cockpit!! Flew with both those guys plenty. "Beaver" Cleaver is here with me at Delta. "Scooter" Lamoureaux was killed tragically in an F-14 that came apart at high speed. Had Scooter in my back seat many times. Flew on Beaver's wing lots as well, as he was senior to me. Pic above in Atsugi Japan, 1982,

Comment

• Great picture....I was surface navy from 79-87. My ship uss flint ae 32 probably replenished the carrier you were attached to. Those were good days when I dwelled in my young body.

Comment

• was wondering how the owner of that turbine f4 got there names... wish I knew who the owner was...bet someone on rcg will know him if your interested

dang you guys at least saw some action..69 to 73 here AT3 intermediate maint T28's never saw a ship...joined the navy to see the world grew up in south fla stationed whiteing field nw fla lol

Comment

was wondering how the owner of that turbine f4 got there names... wish I knew who the owner was...bet someone on rcg will know him if your interested

dang you guys at least saw some action..69 to 73 here AT3 intermediate maint T28's never saw a ship...joined the navy to see the world grew up in south fla stationed whiteing field nw fla lol
                                          We actually saw no action at all. Post Vietnam, and before the era of the sport wars started. Right after I left the fleet we attacked Beirut, then WW Grenada. I had like 4 ribbons after 8 years. Pilots soon started finishing their first fleet tours with a chestful, and had combat time. And it's been the same since.

Comment

Working...
                                          X