Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Lynn Hanover. I met him at the field today he served on the USS Forrestal in 1961 and 62. He had alot of stories about the A6..nice guy glad I got a chance to meet him
    Attached Files

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	MorgCool4.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	223940I got the A6 when it 1st came out. I haven't flown it in over a year as I have so many other birds. The stock power on this bird was adequate for me as I always flew it scale. It's a stable platform and was easy to come in hot and low setting up for your bomb release. Never did much vertical with it but doing a 30-40 deg climb out, it did realistically. After 112 flights, shes never been dinged and the retracts have held up well on my grass runway. I only replaced the nosegear once after trying to yank it up off of uncut grass on a summer day with full ordnance load. She does have a nasty left tip stall. Comes on suddenly and violently but recovers before it flips on it's back, with proper inputs. After doing a few porpoised PIO landings, I have found this bird lands better (for me) with no flaps (clean) or takeoff flaps (ordnance). Trying to CG with =>750gm lipos is a challenge. I extended my tray rear as I like my jets closer to CG neutral.. makes rotation on grass easier. This does put the lipo in the intake.This might be the reason for my it's nasty stall traits, I dunno. Max lipo height compartment is about 48mm, if I recall, but you can trim a few more mm from under the canopy.

The ordnance pkg looks good at standoff range but is nothing like the RCGeeks stuff. Remember, this bird was among the 1st ones with 12b edfs. The pylons were not reinforced with carbon so they were warped slightly. The fins were molded foam too. If they re-release another set, I hope they are of the same caliber of the ordnance of their newer releases.

I dolled mine up a little and changed to goofy pilots with Morg and Coolhand, from the Flight of the Intruder classic! I wish FW would release 90mm or twin. I'd buy it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by barron06; Dec 19, 2019, 12:18 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

• Flight of The Intruder, I have fond memories of watching that film. Nice crew repaint!

Yes, the A-6 and F-86 were our very first 80mm birds that introduced that EDF class. Look what they started...
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          Flight of The Intruder, I have fond memories of watching that film. Nice crew repaint!

Yes, the A-6 and F-86 were our very first 80mm birds that introduced that EDF class. Look what they started...
          Yes nice memories indeed...........I served in the early 70's with Intruders.
          This is the most cherished model in my fleet sporting my squadrons tail

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150609_005.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	223965
          I would luv it Alpha if you upgraded this to a twin 70 or 80mm platform
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Alpha has not been able to log into Hobby Squawk for some time so he asked me to pass this message along:

We have confirmed, based on recent customer requests, that Freewing will make this product available again to us. We'll be including it on a future order and it will take time to produce, ship, and arrive, but we will endeavor to make it available for purchase online again before the end of the year depending on production and shipping lead times.

In the meantime, please enter your email address into the notification field on the product page to receive an automatic email as soon as the product is restocked and ready to ship.

We'd also encourage interested customers to visit our 3DP threads, search 'Freewing' on Thingiverse.com, or contact some of the talented 3DP designers here on Hobby Squawk to locate suitable 3D Printed ordnance.
            Alpha - Any news on the re-release Ordinance Package?

Comment

• Finished my A6 last night and was able to get he first flight on it today. I also had the jerky elevator issue but was able to eliminate it by removing the servos and changing the location of the pushrods to the inner hole of the servo arm and use more of the servo throw. I did a lot of work on the cockpit to make it look better. Installed the F-22 pilots and added a larger torso to the pilot and moved the BN lower and back. Flew with the rear CG listed in the manual but I think it's too far forward and will move the 4000 Admiral back a bit and see how it flys. Landing was very bouncy so I will need more practice to smooth that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puregreen7 View Post
                Finished my A6 last night and was able to get he first flight on it today. I also had the jerky elevator issue but was able to eliminate it by removing the servos and changing the location of the pushrods to the inner hole of the servo arm and use more of the servo throw. I did a lot of work on the cockpit to make it look better. Installed the F-22 pilots and added a larger torso to the pilot and moved the BN lower and back. Flew with the rear CG listed in the manual but I think it's too far forward and will move the 4000 Admiral back a bit and see how it flys. Landing was very bouncy so I will need more practice to smooth that out.
                Puregreen7 Welcome to Squawk and sweet job on the office. My tookus knows that BN seat all too well
                Moving the 4000 back as far as it can go is going to be a lot more friendly CG and reduce/eliminate the bounce(depends on where your landing skill set is at)
                Look at post#104 of mine modeled after my squadron
                Best regards,
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Puregreen7 View Post
                  Finished my A6 last night and was able to get he first flight on it today. I also had the jerky elevator issue but was able to eliminate it by removing the servos and changing the location of the pushrods to the inner hole of the servo arm and use more of the servo throw. I did a lot of work on the cockpit to make it look better. Installed the F-22 pilots and added a larger torso to the pilot and moved the BN lower and back. Flew with the rear CG listed in the manual but I think it's too far forward and will move the 4000 Admiral back a bit and see how it flys. Landing was very bouncy so I will need more practice to smooth that out.
                  Nice, I really like flying mine A-6. Once you find the right balance point, it’s easy to fly and land. I just kept moving the battery back each flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post

Alpha - Any news on the re-release Ordinance Package?
                    Alpha Any insight to share
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	248889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	248890

Here's mine, one I worked on...

Comment

• Evan D I couldn't make out the VA ?? or the carrier name(zoomed 300%) but the tail NF means it was a west-pack bird with CVW-5.
                        Guessing maybe the Midway in the early 70's
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                          Evan D I couldn't make out the VA ?? or the carrier name(zoomed 300%) but the tail NF means it was a west-pack bird with CVW-5.
                          Guessing maybe the Midway in the early 70's
                          OV, I use this interweber-thingie as my reference for "Tail Codes". http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/ship...y_tail_cod.htm Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Tail Codes.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	248931
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Name:	A4 side.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	248948 Yes CAW or CAG 5 on the Midway. I was in VA-115 from last half of 1977until Christmas 79 when I transferred to VA-66 on Ike for another year and a half at sea. Ended up I was of Iran for almost all of the hostage crisis being the first on scene on the Midway and one of the last to leave on Ike.

While not when I was in the Waldo's (we flew A-7's) I did a A-4 from VA-66. Med cruise in 1966-67.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

OV, I use this interweber-thingie as my reference for "Tail Codes". http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/ship...y_tail_cod.htm Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture Tail Codes.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	248931
                              Elbee Thanx for jiggling my chemobrain. I've used that in the past but the only drawback to it is the lack/accuracy of dates and other data.

For example on the AJ (CAG 8) I was with VA-35 and am a plankowner of the Nimitz CVN-68
                              The squadron designations/plane types listed for the USS Nimitz are correct, however only half the squadrons are listed and the "Deployment circa 1987" is way incorrect.
                              Deployment was in 75 to sea trials off of Gitmo shortly after it was commissioned in May of that year.
                              When the Nimitz was redeployed in late 87 to the west coast, VA-35 went on board the new AJ carrier the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 but the squadron is not listed on this matrix.
                              There is a lot of inaccurate data spread through out the matrix
                              Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                Yes CAW or CAG 5 on the Midway. I was in VA-115 from last half of 1977until Christmas 79 when I transferred to VA-66 on Ike for another year and a half at sea. Ended up I was of Iran for almost all of the hostage crisis being the first on scene on the Midway and one of the last to leave on Ike.

While not when I was in the Waldo's (we flew A-7's) I did a A-4 from VA-66. Med cruise in 1966-67.
                                My youngest brother was a bubblehead submerged under ya the whole time during the Iran hostage crisis.
                                Can ya imagine not seeing the light of day for 444 days.
                                He still likes to remind me that us bird farm sailors had it made.
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Elbee Thanx for jiggling my chemobrain. I've used that in the past but the only drawback to it is the lack/accuracy of dates and other data.

For example on the AJ (CAG 8) I was with VA-35 and am a plankowner of the Nimitz CVN-68
                                  The squadron designations/plane types listed for the USS Nimitz are correct, however only half the squadrons are listed and the "Deployment circa 1987" is way incorrect.
                                  Deployment was in 75 to sea trials off of Gitmo shortly after it was commissioned in May of that year.
                                  When the Nimitz was redeployed in late 87 to the west coast, VA-35 went on board the new AJ carrier the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 but the squadron is not listed on this matrix.
                                  There is a lot of inaccurate data spread through out the matrix
                                  OV, Glad to know someone else is trying to keep the Internet (and me) honest. Acknowledged it is only a single reference and therefore not much better than any Wiki-whatever. My usual takeaway is 2 sources for the same material, though that is getting more difficult to find as you know. Forgive me if I sounded as if I were correcting you, not my intention to be sure. It seemed you were uncertain and I was only trying to chime-in with additional 411. Respectfully, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• There were typically two with us. Surprisingly one pulled into Mombasa with us and had liberty on that cruise. Are you sure about that 444 days straight? Most were 180 out 180 in.

QUOTE=OV10;n248960]

My youngest brother was a bubblehead submerged under ya the whole time during the Iran hostage crisis.
                                    He still likes to remind me that us bird farm sailors had it made.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      There were typically two with us. Surprisingly one pulled into Mombasa with us and had liberty on that cruise. Are you sure about that 444 days straight? Most were 180 out 180 in.

QUOTE=OV10;n248960]

He still likes to remind me that us bird farm sailors had it made.
                                      [/QUOTE]

Evan D I can't remember the name of his boat (still call subs that) but he told me it was the only Trident class(thinking Ohio class) nuke there and that they were down the whole time the hostages were held.
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

OV, Glad to know someone else is trying to keep the Internet (and me) honest. Acknowledged it is only a single reference and therefore not much better than any Wiki-whatever. My usual takeaway is 2 sources for the same material, though that is getting more difficult to find as you know. Forgive me if I sounded as if I were correcting you, not my intention to be sure. It seemed you were uncertain and I was only trying to chime-in with additional 411. Respectfully, LB
                                        Elbee No need for apologies because I didn't think you were trying to correct me at all. I was just wanting you to be aware of how skedgy that particular chart is
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Installed the 3658-1857kV inrunner in my A-6. Put three flights on the new set up yesterday, it definitely has more power, and it sounds good. The A-6 remains one of my favorites, takes off nice and landings are easy. I also noticed the battery stays cooler with compared to the outrunner.

Comment

Working...
                                          X