Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just talked to motion again and after they did some checking they said Alpha's post 10 in hobby squawk is correct

Comment

• Thanks!

Comment

• Hey guys, Happy to report an awesome day of flying the Gripen!

I used the canards in both Roll and Pitch and she flew like a dream to me. The only delta jet I really have experience with is the Mirage and prepared myself for the drill bit, but happy to say I got none of that with the Gripen.

For rates, I set my elevons and canards based on the books low rate as my high rate. Then from there my roll rates were 60/80/100 and set the pitch based on the books recommended highs and lows and used 70/80/90 on a seperate switch.

Since I was expecting a drill bit, I maidened with mid rate roll and high rate elevator with my fingers ready to flip to all low but was pleasantly surprised that she was great for me in that setting and I ended up living there most flights. I can totally see pilots who want more control using the book rates as they are. I am definitely going to go out and try that as well and just use my mid today as my low with the book lows for mid and book high for high.

Push come shove, reading all this talk of how the real Gripen doesn't use canards in roll etc is kind of meaningless as this is a 5lb model. The beauty here is that pilots have tons of different options they can try out and fly it however they wish. The choice is yours.

But that said, trust in Alpha and the Freewing team that they did their due diligence and flew it this way to great success.

As for landings I was really impressed as you can land in 2 ways and have success. Either nose up, 10-15% throttle and she will sink in like the real thing, or power off, nose straight and just flare at the end then on either, drive that nose down and the canards act as a bit if a brake. I will say too, that if you hit the runway harder than expected and compress the gear, the cant in the mains definitely adds noticeable speed reduction which is really cool in person too.

Overall guys this thing is a winner. As this was my first ever flight on a delta/canard I can't tell you any difference vs others. All I know is I had a smile on my face the entire time and really enjoyed it.

Flying video will come this Friday in the live show on YouTube then more videos next week and weeks leading up to arrival. Stay tuned guys.

Comment

• Bingo . Maiden in the books. Good job, man.

Comment

• Look what was waiting at the door when I got back from the field! TV Question answered...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200901_133426.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	272208

Comment

• Awesome! Congrats on the maiden James.

Started building my spare red Avanti today. The old yellow one will be stripped and the JF/ HET 8S pulled to be ready for the Gripen. The New Avanti will keep the 9B 6S set up but not have the control board. I use Y's, extensions and a lighting module. Then I have 12B 1850 power set up to put in old yeller and it'll be for sale.

The smaller Arrows MiG-29 went on reduced price sale today and my wife said to order another as a spare. She also said to go ahead and order the Gripen. Life is great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Nice Draken. Is that EDF or turbine?
                Turbine!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Awesome! Congrats on the maiden James.

Started building my spare red Avanti today. The old yellow one will be stripped and the JF/ HET 8S pulled to be ready for the Gripen. The New Avanti will keep the 9B 6S set up but not have the control board. I use Y's, extensions and a lighting module. Then I have 12B 1850 power set up to put in old yeller and it'll be for sale.

The smaller Arrows MiG-29 went on reduced price sale today and my wife said to order another as a spare. She also said to go ahead and order the Gripen. Life is great!
                  Awe yayahhhhhhhhh .

Comment

• Some photos of the full size you may not have seen- such a cool jet.
                    Tom

Comment

• Must say this. Sweden is a small country, during the time SAAB developed all its aircraft, we have been around eight million or less in the country. I can not speak for everyone in the country, but I can guarantee that all Swedes interested in aviation feel a great pride in them, as we are proud of Volvo ABBA and IKEA. Most of us are familiar with people who have worked on the projects, or in one way or another contributed to them. I am extremely happy freewing believes in this and I hope there is an interest in the world for Swedish jets, maybe there is then also a chance for the viggen and the draken, two really cool jets. Thank you freewing and hope you are rewarded for your work. Have been waiting a long time for gripen.
                      👍😀

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
                        Hey guys, Happy to report an awesome day of flying the Gripen!

I used the canards in both Roll and Pitch and she flew like a dream to me. The only delta jet I really have experience with is the Mirage and prepared myself for the drill bit, but happy to say I got none of that with the Gripen.

For rates, I set my elevons and canards based on the books low rate as my high rate. Then from there my roll rates were 60/80/100 and set the pitch based on the books recommended highs and lows and used 70/80/90 on a seperate switch.

Since I was expecting a drill bit, I maidened with mid rate roll and high rate elevator with my fingers ready to flip to all low but was pleasantly surprised that she was great for me in that setting and I ended up living there most flights. I can totally see pilots who want more control using the book rates as they are. I am definitely going to go out and try that as well and just use my mid today as my low with the book lows for mid and book high for high.

Push come shove, reading all this talk of how the real Gripen doesn't use canards in roll etc is kind of meaningless as this is a 5lb model. The beauty here is that pilots have tons of different options they can try out and fly it however they wish. The choice is yours.

But that said, trust in Alpha and the Freewing team that they did their due diligence and flew it this way to great success.

As for landings I was really impressed as you can land in 2 ways and have success. Either nose up, 10-15% throttle and she will sink in like the real thing, or power off, nose straight and just flare at the end then on either, drive that nose down and the canards act as a bit if a brake. I will say too, that if you hit the runway harder than expected and compress the gear, the cant in the mains definitely adds noticeable speed reduction which is really cool in person too.

Overall guys this thing is a winner. As this was my first ever flight on a delta/canard I can't tell you any difference vs others. All I know is I had a smile on my face the entire time and really enjoyed it.

Flying video will come this Friday in the live show on YouTube then more videos next week and weeks leading up to arrival. Stay tuned guys.
                        Sounds great James!

Will stick with pitch only canards though - if nothing else for sake of scaleness.

As for those two landing techniques, one of them is a proper landing technique and the other one is aiming at-, and hitting the ground. Stick with the first ;)
                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Anders Boström View Post
                          Must say this. Sweden is a small country, during the time SAAB developed all its aircraft, we have been around eight million or less in the country. I can not speak for everyone in the country, but I can guarantee that all Swedes interested in aviation feel a great pride in them, as we are proud of Volvo ABBA and IKEA. Most of us are familiar with people who have worked on the projects, or in one way or another contributed to them. I am extremely happy freewing believes in this and I hope there is an interest in the world for Swedish jets, maybe there is then also a chance for the viggen and the draken, two really cool jets. Thank you freewing and hope you are rewarded for your work. Have been waiting a long time for gripen.
                          👍😀
                          Yeah, it is definitely impressive to look at Swedens history of developing aircraft, especially considering being so small and standing more or less alone in these ventures.
                          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• just wow, once I get some more experience this would be the dream :)

Comment

• Get the F-22 like you are thinking of doing...

Originally posted by smpr View Post
                              just wow, once I get some more experience this would be the dream :)

Comment

Get the F-22 like you are thinking of doing...
                                Yeah something like that, I know my limits dont worry :)

Comment

• Just as some pilots have opted to setup their Tomcats with full span flaps, or their Eagles/Hornets/Lightnings with tailerons, so to are pilots free to experiment with other control surface configurations on their Gripens that differ from how we recommend and fly it ourselves. The Gripen flies fine with canards set as pitch only, just increase the elevons' roll throw ~20%.

As for me, I'm leaving it stock exactly as James flew his, with canards contributing to both pitch and roll.

@Anders Bostrom Svensk engineers have contributed so much to the modern world. Ericsson, Lans, Alfred NOBEL. In fields from medicine to military arms to GPS, telecommunications, food services and the ubiquitous zipper, we're surrounded by Swedish inventions.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I was going to skip the pre-order on this one since I also got the Mig and it's not even here yet, so I have not been following the thread. I just found out that there'll be an option TV tail made available for this, so pre-order just placed!
                                    Pat

Comment

• I ordered both too Pat. Planning on TV for the MiG but not the Gripen. But the Gripen will get 8S.

Comment

• I'm doing the opposite. I'd love some speed brakes on the Mig though.
                                        Pat

Comment

I ordered both too Pat. Planning on TV for the MiG but not the Gripen. But the Gripen will get 8S.
                                          Evan, I'm flying the M2000 and now the Gripen is on preorder. I love the Mirage and the power available to help me out of bad decisions and high alpha manoeuvres at low altitude (failed yesterday though, but not much damage). What is your 8S setup and roughly how much more power do you get? I think that you said somewhere that weight is less also. Interested to have as much power available on tap when necessary.

Cheers!
                                          /Tobias

Comment

Working...
                                          X