X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dsa44 View Post
    Excited to see this over the winter. Hopefully someone can chime in with help on setting it up on a FrSky S8R. I know they have a delta wing in their config, but with the canards....????
    Cheers, DSA
    I ask James in an earlier post to show us how he programed the mixes, so, hopefully, he might do a video or post his setup.
    Best regards,
    Cris B.
    AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
    NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
      Hey Guys, here are some of the measurements of the Gripen.
      If you could get a measurement of inner dimensions at the aft end of the battery bay, and possibly some rearward facing shots into that area, that would be awesome :D (need to do some tank planning lol)

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Just out of curiosity I just programmed it in my DX-18. Elevons, two rudders (separate steering) and a few mixes and I have the canards doing pitch and roll plus I programmed flaps with canard compensation and canard air brakes. Of course without the model my percentages are guesstimates. Needed 8ch's.

Comment

• Hey guys, here is the Spektrum mixing on mine.

First, I have model setup for elevon in aircraft type:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200831_151646.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	271996

then,
          I have my left elevon in the ail port,
          right elevon in the elevator port
          right canard in aux 2
          left canard in aux 3

Name:	Gripen Mixing.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	271997

It shouldn't truly matter which elevon is plugged into which AIL/ELE port or which canard is in which AUX port as the mixing will be similar as long as your 2 elevons are in the ail/ele ports and your 2 canards are in 2 aux ports. Once your there it's just playing within the mix as to going 100% or -100% and watching what happens.

So, you see my 4 mixes, 2 for ail, 2 for ele landed as such...

Name:	IMG_20200831_150302.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	271991

Again, I have the canards in aux2 and aux 3. I have mixed 1 elevon (from the ail port) mixed into both canards separately to control the roll, and 1 elevon (from the ele port) mixed into both canards separately to control the pitch. Here are each mix page:

Name:	IMG_20200831_150156.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	271992

Name:	IMG_20200831_150203.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	271993

Name:	IMG_20200831_150210.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	271994

Name:	IMG_20200831_150217.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	271995

I hope this helps, its really not hard at all. Within each mix all I did was set (elevon) > (canard) and move the rates to either full 100% or -100%. Took no more than 5 minutes.

She is all ready to fly tomorrow (had rain today). So excited to let you guys know how she goes and obviously videos will come soon afterwards.

Comment

• Thank James, that's what I did but Aux 1 and 2 with 3 being steering. Plus I added flaps on the left slider and airbrakes on the right slider both with a failsafe switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
              Hey guys, here is the Spektrum mixing on mine.

First, I have model setup for elevon in aircraft type:

Name:	IMG_20200831_151646.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	271996

then,
              I have my left elevon in the ail port,
              right elevon in the elevator port
              right canard in aux 2
              left canard in aux 3

Name:	Gripen Mixing.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	271997

It shouldn't truly matter which elevon is plugged into which AIL/ELE port or which canard is in which AUX port as the mixing will be similar as long as your 2 elevons are in the ail/ele ports and your 2 canards are in 2 aux ports. Once your there it's just playing within the mix as to going 100% or -100% and watching what happens.

So, you see my 4 mixes, 2 for ail, 2 for ele landed as such...

Name:	IMG_20200831_150302.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	271991

Again, I have the canards in aux2 and aux 3. I have mixed 1 elevon (from the ail port) mixed into both canards separately to control the roll, and 1 elevon (from the ele port) mixed into both canards separately to control the pitch. Here are each mix page:

Name:	IMG_20200831_150156.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	271992

Name:	IMG_20200831_150203.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	271993

Name:	IMG_20200831_150210.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	271994

Name:	IMG_20200831_150217.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	271995

I hope this helps, its really not hard at all. Within each mix all I did was set (elevon) > (canard) and move the rates to either full 100% or -100%. Took no more than 5 minutes.

She is all ready to fly tomorrow (had rain today). So excited to let you guys know how she goes and obviously videos will come soon afterwards.
              Great info. Thanks James. Good luck on the flights, although you won't need it.

Comment

• Is canard roll recommended in the manual for this model? (I know that is what we saw in the presentation, as well as here in James' setup)

I would love to hear the rationale behind it. Alpha?

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
                  I would love to hear the rationale behind it. Alpha?
                  Because it's awesome.

Imagine the scale outcry if we released a canard delta without all-moving canards.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Because it's awesome.

Imagine the scale outcry if we released a canard delta without all-moving canards.
                    Wasn't referring to the canards moving - that is a given obviously.

Ironically, it is exactly a scale outcry I'm guilty of right now - since the canards are not used for roll on the full size.

Comment

• The manual doesn’t have any radio set up. I assume to leave it up to each builder...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        The manual doesn’t have any radio set up. I assume to leave it up to each builder...
                        The manual does show the suggested movements on actual page 7 (PDF page 9) file:///D:/Motion/80mmGripenUserManual.pdf

Comment

• Yes. I saw the throws.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
                            Wasn't referring to the canards moving - that is a given obviously.

Ironically, it is exactly a scale outcry I'm guilty of right now - since the canards are not used for roll on the full size.
                            I was going to ask that on the next stream but you got there first, hehehe! :p

So, yup, I was puzzled myself as Motion/Freewing never do manual-setup-walkthroughs on tailerons (which are commonplace on most fighter jets) but here they show roll being added to canards (which is not common at all), so I'm curious about that too! :)

Comment

• Hi, I plan to have the wing signed by the Gripen pilot. I hope it'll go well.

Comment

• What is the size of the wheels and axles, front and rear? Planning to upgrade to ball bearing, braked, and a brakegyro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroslav Cerny View Post
                                  Hi, I plan to have the wing signed by the Gripen pilot. I hope it'll go well.
                                  Miroslav Cerny Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I'm excited to see it! I hope you can the Gripen pilot's signature. Where are you from?

Originally posted by Anders Boström View Post
                                  What is the size of the wheels and axles, front and rear? Planning to upgrade to ball bearing, braked, and a brakegyro.
                                  @Anders Bostrom Welcome to you, too! The nose is 45mm x 16mm and the mains are 70mm x 20mm. Standard 4mm axle diameter on the mains, like many of our larger 80mm/90mm EDFs from Freewing.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Anders Boström View Post
                                    What is the size of the wheels and axles, front and rear? Planning to upgrade to ball bearing, braked, and a brakegyro.
                                    Nice Draken. Is that EDF or turbine?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Alpha;n272126]

Miroslav Cerny Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I'm excited to see it! I hope you can the Gripen pilot's signature. Where are you from?

Hi, Czech Republic, about 20 km from z
                                      air bases Čáslav 211 fighter ... I know a few people, they are in contact with the pilots. Gripen and MiG 21 is my heart's desire.

Comment

• I was just told by Motion that they will not sell the trust vectoring system, you will have to print it yourself. I don't have the knowledge or access to a printer. The reason I was going to buy this jet was for the thrust vectoring so guess I am out on this one.

Comment

• Who said that? If I was one that preordered expecting the TVs I would be pissed!

A main reason for the MiG-29 was the TVs, They better not be thinking the same there...

Comment

Working...
                                          X