Official Freewing Twin 70mm SR-71 Blackbird with Gyro EDF Jet Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jpahemi1
    replied
    Circumference

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Length? Circumference?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jpahemi1
    replied
    Love this jet but I’m not ready to pull the trigger. Can someone tell me the chute diameter?

    Leave a comment:


  • ridgerunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    ... My fiancée does a great job filming, thank you I will pass it along! ...
    Your kindly on-board videographer does a pretty good job as well.

    Sweet! +1

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR

    That's awesome Aros and don't worry I messed up my first landing as well but after that one bad landing the 27 more flights with several touch and goes were smooth as butter.

    I had one time the chute did not open and that was because I left it packed for a week, it popped out fine but was to wrinkled to open so after that I left it unpacked and tucked away in one of the exhaust outlets and that solved the problem.
    Nice! Yeah I never once felt that she was a handful. As stated, it had everything to do with Sun orientation mixed in with learning the runway (where to position myself), best times of day to go where the Sun won’t become a hindrance when flying the pattern, And if I have to come in on final approach from the North, be mindful of how she can get lost a bit once under the tree line.

    I shouldn’t be standing at the beginning of the runway. I need to be at least 1/3 of the runway which gives me a better chance of seeing her better regardless of which way I am coming in to land.

    If the rain staves off tomorrow I may go out again and practice touch and goes. If I have her in sight with a nice approach altitude and a few clicks of power, I feel like she will come in nice and easy.

    I like your idea about keeping the parachute tucked in the outlet before flying. I’m going to try that!

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Thanks!

    Okay back at home. So the complete story is I fly at an uncontrolled, low traffic runway (which I received permission for) which is sweet! However, the orientation puts me smack dab staring at the Sun at this time of year and day. I really did get lucky not crashing as at least three times I flew right into the Sun line and could not see (bleep) for a few seconds each time. Yikes. Luckily I kept my sticks pretty level and she came out the other side okay. No doubt does the gyro help. I purposely kept the flight short and high altitude in case any kind of recovery altitude was needed.

    As for the landing, I was too high, and she was too far away for my liking (this is only my third time flying at this runway so I am still learning it) since the wind direction was coming from the South instead of the North like I was hoping. When she dropped below the tree line to my vantage point I lost her for a few seconds which explains the "whoop-de-doos" lol. Finally once she got close enough I was able to tame her down a bit but the landing was a bit harder than I would have liked. But no harm, no foul. I was bummed that the parachute didn't deploy! I'll have to take a look at how it's all wrapped up. Maybe a bit too good.

    I only flew the one maiden. I brought an extra 6000 but I typically don't fly after a maiden because as long as it was a success (i.e. not coming home in a trash bag) I look at it as coming home from Vegas with house money, lol.

    The more I familiarize myself with the runway, orientation, Sun position, wind, etc, etc, the better the flights will go. I never once felt like I was fighting the sticks with her. She was docile the entire time. Any "whoop-de-doos" were on my part, again due to Sun orientation, coming in too far away, losing her in the tree line, etc. Outside of that, I feel she's easy peasy and I can't wait to get more flights on her!
    That's awesome Aros and don't worry I messed up my first landing as well but after that one bad landing the 27 more flights with several touch and goes were smooth as butter.

    I had one time the chute did not open and that was because I left it packed for a week, it popped out fine but was to wrinkled to open so after that I left it unpacked and tucked away in one of the exhaust outlets and that solved the problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee


    Aros, very nicely done. I watched your ewe-toob vid and that's a great looking place to fly.

    Tamms asked if that is a lake or a river, I thot lake, but could not see all that well.

    Your videographer is to be congratulated keeping Habu in the frame for the entirety.

    Congrats to you on a successful check ride #1, as well, Sir.

    Best, LB
    Thank you kindly, kindliest of kind men!

    The water is actually a bay. It’s part of the Columbia River that meets the Pacific Ocean. Little side note, that area where the river meets the Pacific is among the deadliest on the planet for mariners.

    My fiancée does a great job filming, thank you I will pass it along!

    now when are you getting yours?

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by GliderGuy
    The “loss into the tree line” is discussed in this video.
    It’s well done and shows stall recovery and chute packing.


    ​
    -GG
    I’ll check it out, thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Okay back at home....I feel she's easy peasy and I can't wait to get more flights on her!

    Aros, very nicely done. I watched your ewe-toob vid and that's a great looking place to fly.

    Tamms asked if that is a lake or a river, I thot lake, but could not see all that well.

    Your videographer is to be congratulated keeping Habu in the frame for the entirety.

    Congrats to you on a successful check ride #1, as well, Sir.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    The “loss into the tree line” is discussed in this video.
    It’s well done and shows stall recovery and chute packing.


    ​
    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Thanks!

    Okay back at home. So the complete story is I fly at an uncontrolled, low traffic runway (which I received permission for) which is sweet! However, the orientation puts me smack dab staring at the Sun at this time of year and day. I really did get lucky not crashing as at least three times I flew right into the Sun line and could not see (bleep) for a few seconds each time. Yikes. Luckily I kept my sticks pretty level and she came out the other side okay. No doubt does the gyro help. I purposely kept the flight short and high altitude in case any kind of recovery altitude was needed.

    As for the landing, I was too high, and she was too far away for my liking (this is only my third time flying at this runway so I am still learning it) since the wind direction was coming from the South instead of the North like I was hoping. When she dropped below the tree line to my vantage point I lost her for a few seconds which explains the "whoop-de-doos" lol. Finally once she got close enough I was able to tame her down a bit but the landing was a bit harder than I would have liked. But no harm, no foul. I was bummed that the parachute didn't deploy! I'll have to take a look at how it's all wrapped up. Maybe a bit too good.

    I only flew the one maiden. I brought an extra 6000 but I typically don't fly after a maiden because as long as it was a success (i.e. not coming home in a trash bag) I look at it as coming home from Vegas with house money, lol.

    The more I familiarize myself with the runway, orientation, Sun position, wind, etc, etc, the better the flights will go. I never once felt like I was fighting the sticks with her. She was docile the entire time. Any "whoop-de-doos" were on my part, again due to Sun orientation, coming in too far away, losing her in the tree line, etc. Outside of that, I feel she's easy peasy and I can't wait to get more flights on her!

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Thanks…the whoop-de-doos on final will go away fast after a few landings. Looked good to me for the maiden! Congrats!

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    I’ll report more when I get home. In the meantime here’s a short video.

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Exciting! Good job. You said 6000s / just one battery or 2? More of your impressions, please. How were the landings?

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Maiden was a success. A bit squirrelly thanks to the sun being in a terrible spot. Very lucky I didn’t lose her from being blinded a couple times. Very easy flyer all things considered. Gyro did its job. Was a touch nose heavy as I couldn’t get my Admiral 6000s any further aft. Not a speed demon that’s for sure but I don’t mind. Just seeing that profile airborne makes me giddy.

    Parachute didn’t deploy dang it! Oh the humanity!

    Pics and short video coming soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • EDF-Jetpilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Great! Thank you!
    good luck and have fun!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Great! Thank you!

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    I’m sure you’ve stated but remind me, you are using the stock gyro, yes?
    Yes…Stock gyro, default factory control set-ups, 50% expo on aileron and elevator, CG on the mark wheels down. Admiral 6000 mAh pushed as far aft in the front battery bay as possible. For your initial flights…Set your timer to 3:00 and get on down wind at 2:30. That’s with most of the flight at a bit more than 50% throttle. Fly faster, land sooner. Later on, you can go 3:30 at 50% and less time if hot rodding).

    She feels more solid with 2-3 clicks of added throttle when you lower the gear.

    Definitely leave on some power on final. It is possible to glide her in at zero power, but it is a bit tricky to judge that. So much easier to set AoA on final with about 15% throttle and let her settle in. Get slow, and she will drop…but a burst of power will stop the fall.

    If you get outa synch down low, just go around. You can eat up a lot of runway trying to “save” a landing.

    Good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    I’m sure you’ve stated but remind me, you are using the stock gyro, yes?

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Reference post 239…Problem solved. Shorter take-off run and typical deceleration on landing roll is the result of the adjustments to the mains and good lubrication.
    Flight total is 68 after this afternoon.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:

Working...