P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

Official Freewing Twin 70mm SR-71 Blackbird with Gyro EDF Jet Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	422969

    Yes…good luck! The Windy app shows light wind opportunities for your area this weekend.

    I noticed longer take-off runs and short landing roll-outs the last few flights. Wheel lubrication issue? It’s more complex than that.

    1) The center “U” fork on the mains can spread putting pressure on the outer (inner and outside) axle head and C clip = braking action.
    2) The inner tire material can “spread/flatten out” on the outside part of the tire. This rubs against the inside of the “U” fork = braking action.

    Solutions:
    1) With pliers, gently compress the “U” fork tips towards each other. Not too much, or you won’t be able to mount the center wheel back on…or cause the inner wheel to bind. The tolerance is minimal. Not much leeway either way. Gotta get the fork spacing correct.
    2) With a razor knife or Dremel, reshape the inner tire so it no longer rubs against the insides of the “U” fork.
    3) Lubricate well!

    The main gear’s fork tip spacing will require regular checking and adjusting.


    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Finally looks like I get maiden weather this weekend so I am looking forward to taking her to the active runway I have permission to fly at! As you can surmise by my avatar this is my favorite jet of all-time so I can’t wait to experience this beautiful rendition! GG I will take your advice of 15% throttle for the landing sequence. As always, thank you for the detailed flight reports!
    Good luck on the maiden Aros.

    What I did on my landings was pull power back to an idle right when I turned base to final so it will slow down and get in that perfect AOA then quickly add in power to maintain that same AOA all the way to touchdown and pop that chute, it's awesome how it slows down quickly.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by GliderGuy
    Yes…correct / she flies nicely inverted. Have you flown the B-2?

    I seemed to have solved the problem of the weakish anti-torsion arm on the landing gear. After beefing them up, not seeing any more issues.

    -GG
    Yes, my buddy has the B-2 and loaned it to me so I could try before I buy lol, it flew great too and landed nicely as well. Taking off, now that's another story, what a squirrel on the ground but it flies very well too, I no longer have the space for too many or I would have kept the SR-71 and got the B-2 also.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D
    Good luck with the maiden!
    Thank you kind sir!

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Good luck with the maiden!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Finally looks like I get maiden weather this weekend so I am looking forward to taking her to the active runway I have permission to fly at! As you can surmise by my avatar this is my favorite jet of all-time so I can’t wait to experience this beautiful rendition! GG I will take your advice of 15% throttle for the landing sequence. As always, thank you for the detailed flight reports!

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Yes…correct / she flies nicely inverted. Have you flown the B-2?

    I seemed to have solved the problem of the weakish anti-torsion arm on the landing gear. After beefing them up, not seeing any more issues.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by GliderGuy
    It was breezy, but many days this week will be very windy. So, I flew…anyway. It was 8-9 mph steady with thermal gusts to about 12 mph.

    She did OK, but she wing waggles quite a bit in the turbulence. For “pretty” and smooth flying, she’s better flown on special days. Still…she did not exhibit any bad habits in the wind. A couple of times, she ballooned up from ground effect height. When that happens, she responds very well to a burst of power on the down side of the balloon and touches down lightly. Note: Less waggle at faster speeds, but I fly about 1/2 throttle for 3:30 timer with an Admiral 6000. Cut it short if you hot rod any.

    58 total flights and loving this plane. Graduated to loops and rolls (very fast roll rate…I did not reduce aileron throws…just dialed in 50% expo).

    Great job FW and MRC!

    -GG
    It also flies great inverted around the pattern if your into that. I put 28 flights on mine and just sold it a couple of days ago. I just get bored with any EDF after a few flights and don't keep a huge inventory anymore so that is the reason I sold it, picked up a new 80mm Cougar only because I have never flown one. I think I enjoy putting them together more than flying now, 41 yrs of flying just about everything there is out there so I'm always looking for something different.

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    It was breezy, but many days this week will be very windy. So, I flew…anyway. It was 8-9 mph steady with thermal gusts to about 12 mph.

    She did OK, but she wing waggles quite a bit in the turbulence. For “pretty” and smooth flying, she’s better flown on special days. Still…she did not exhibit any bad habits in the wind. A couple of times, she ballooned up from ground effect height. When that happens, she responds very well to a burst of power on the down side of the balloon and touches down lightly. Note: Less waggle at faster speeds, but I fly about 1/2 throttle for 3:30 timer with an Admiral 6000. Cut it short if you hot rod any.

    58 total flights and loving this plane. Graduated to loops and rolls (very fast roll rate…I did not reduce aileron throws…just dialed in 50% expo).

    Great job FW and MRC!

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Finished making flight 48 at sunrise today. Made sure to turn on the xmitter BEFORE connecting the battery in the plane. That one flight with the gyro not initialized was ENOUGH!

    I’m finding the sweet spot set-up for landing is 4 clicks of power once on final and leaving the power on to touchdown. She sets up in a slight nose-high attitude, flares and floats nicely to touchdown.

    Realizing all radios are different, 4 clicks translates to roughly 15% throttle (stick position wise) on my gear.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by GliderGuy

    “Is working” is the key operative. Works for this pilot who comfortably flies an MRC 90 mm F-4 on high rate (large amount of control movement) and no expo.

    The SR-71’s full-stick roll rate with default factory set-up and 50% expo on low rate is something to see!

    Having less control throw than recommended is a reasonable suggestion for the maiden and while experience with the bird is gained.

    -GG
    Yeah I didn't say all that in my post about less throw on maiden and all that, everything I fly has no expo or dual rates, it can be done if mechanically set up properly on any plane or jet and flown successfully doing all maneuvers, the problem is we have radios that will do magical things now days and gyros and helis that almost fly themselves, I'm getting worried that the younger pilots will never know what a well set up aircraft will ever feel like, there is just something about spending the time setting up a radio system and mechanical throws to get a plane to fly perfect, oh don't forget the CG thing.

    Back on topic here, I did goof my first landing on the SR-71 because of dumb thumbs but 28 flights later it has been a joy to fly, it has been set up with reduced throws and linkages mechanically setup on the servo horns and I fly it with gyro on or off, very little wobble on a breezy day, if its calm it flies very nice. I did try a stall turn the last time out and that was a hoot watching that big long nose slide around and point itself straight down, it flies very well inverted too.

    Well done Freewing is all I can say, for I finally got to fly an SR-71.

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Glad to hear the recommended is working. For me personally, my eye test makes me think even less than recommended is not a bad thing. However if recommended works, fantastic!
    “Is working” is the key operative. Works for this pilot who comfortably flies an MRC 90 mm F-4 on high rate (large amount of control movement) and no expo.

    The SR-71’s full-stick roll rate with default factory set-up and 50% expo on low rate is something to see!

    Having less control throw than recommended is a reasonable suggestion for the maiden and while experience with the bird is gained.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:


  • EDF-Jetpilot
    replied
    Originally posted by GliderGuy
    Sure…Here is the best photo I have of the gravel size that broke the SR-71’s anti-torsion arms within the first 8 landings. B-2 hasn’t had issues with it other than a broken nose steering arm on one cool 45F day. The area has some very small weathering cracks which probably caused the breakage. Such a cracked area can be seen near the top center of the photo.

    -GG
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	399.4 KB ID:	422227
    Okay, thanks. This isn't exactly a landing gear-friendly track, of course, but it's better than I imagined. I thought you were flying on loose gravel.

    Leave a comment:


  • EDF-Jetpilot
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR

    Your right Aros, to me there is no reason to set the SR-71 as per the instructions, but then again I always reduce throws on any model and never go by what the instructions say or even by what anyone else says actually. First thing I do when I get a new kit is move the linkages in on the servo horns on all the surfaces, it just tames those maiden flights down for one and also makes for a smooth flight. I always get a kick out of guys with way to much throw and then complain about how bad the plane flies, I have seen over my 41 yrs of flying how people set up the elevator and always have to much then see a stall usually on the turn to final or a snap roll of some kind from to much elevator. The SR-71 likes very little throw on all the surfaces really in my opinion, but hey I'm no expert so ignore my opinion....
    Yes, the point about the throws is absolutely true and applies most strongly to beginners or aircraft like an SR-71 or a Mirage 2000 (ailerons), which are therefore easier to fly in their original configuration. But as an experienced pilot, you need the full range of throws, especially on the elevator, for experimentation and for cobra or flat spin maneuvers, for example, with an F-16 or F-22. Ultimately, I fly every model with three rates: one for high-speed flight, one for maximum flight without stalling, and one for maximum maneuverability. I'm always happy with that and have fun, even at the touch of a switch if desired.

    But ultimately, every pilot has their own habits, and that's how it should be – the most important thing is always safety!​

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR

    Your right Aros, to me there is no reason to set the SR-71 as per the instructions, but then again I always reduce throws on any model and never go by what the instructions say or even by what anyone else says actually. First thing I do when I get a new kit is move the linkages in on the servo horns on all the surfaces, it just tames those maiden flights down for one and also makes for a smooth flight. I always get a kick out of guys with way to much throw and then complain about how bad the plane flies, I have seen over my 41 yrs of flying how people set up the elevator and always have to much then see a stall usually on the turn to final or a snap roll of some kind from to much elevator. The SR-71 likes very little throw on all the surfaces really in my opinion, but hey I'm no expert so ignore my opinion....
    Indeed my friend! I couldn't agree more.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros

    I feel you. I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was still relative based on the profile and flying characteristics of the model regardless of manufacturer or size. Look at some of the reviews and you will read the same thing. I stand by what I've said. Just because I haven't flown this particular model just yet doesn't mean I am off base here. The SR-71 doesn't want wicked roll rates, period. No matter the size or manufacturer. Clearly this is no high wing trainer we are talking about. Pitch rates whatever, but it wasn't until I reduced the roll rate is when I finally tamed the LX model. Granted, no gyro and I think that will be a major benefit here but I still stand by my stance that this model favors less is more when it comes to aileron authority, especially for intermediate pilots.
    Your right Aros, to me there is no reason to set the SR-71 as per the instructions, but then again I always reduce throws on any model and never go by what the instructions say or even by what anyone else says actually. First thing I do when I get a new kit is move the linkages in on the servo horns on all the surfaces, it just tames those maiden flights down for one and also makes for a smooth flight. I always get a kick out of guys with way to much throw and then complain about how bad the plane flies, I have seen over my 41 yrs of flying how people set up the elevator and always have to much then see a stall usually on the turn to final or a snap roll of some kind from to much elevator. The SR-71 likes very little throw on all the surfaces really in my opinion, but hey I'm no expert so ignore my opinion....

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D
    Don't take this as an attack but as someone that is a moderator here, works for Motion, etc, making a statement, recommendation, opinion or whatever that is contrary to the manufacturer when you haven't flown the actual plane, to me is something not to do or at least make sure people reading it know it's an opinion based on flying other aircraft.
    I feel you. I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was still relative based on the profile and flying characteristics of the model regardless of manufacturer or size. Look at some of the reviews and you will read the same thing. I stand by what I've said. Just because I haven't flown this particular model just yet doesn't mean I am off base here. The SR-71 doesn't want wicked roll rates, period. No matter the size or manufacturer. Clearly this is no high wing trainer we are talking about. Pitch rates whatever, but it wasn't until I reduced the roll rate is when I finally tamed the LX model. Granted, no gyro and I think that will be a major benefit here but I still stand by my stance that this model favors less is more when it comes to aileron authority, especially for intermediate pilots.

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Don't take this as an attack but as someone that is a moderator here, works for Motion, etc, making a statement, recommendation, opinion or whatever that is contrary to the manufacturer when you haven't flown the actual plane, to me is something not to do or at least make sure people reading it know it's an opinion based on flying other aircraft.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Because I’ve flown the LX version hundreds of times, went through a dozen airframes until I cracked the code and found that this airframe is going to be much better off with limited roll. Granted, I haven’t flown this version yet but I can’t believe this model would be all that different. It’s still the same profile generally speaking. The gyro is a big help for sure. Back in the day it was no gyro, just go.

    Expo is a biggie as well. Glad to hear the recommended is working. For me personally, my eye test makes me think even less than recommended is not a bad thing. However if recommended works, fantastic!

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    And I've said it before and I will say it again as it bears repeating: Reduce your aileron throws in this bird. You will be happy you did.
    Hmmm…I didn’t reduce throws on any axis…left them at whatever the default set-ups were.

    More important is to increase the EXPO to a somewhat high value. I like 50% on aileron and elevator. I did not add EXPO to rudder, but that wouldn’t hurt.

    -GG

    Leave a comment:

Working...