• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or should I just go up to a 2500 80c 4s

Comment

My setup is stock.. 40amp esc 12blade fan

Comment

I have the 4S version, and it will barely fly w a hand launch. IMO, this edf is too heavy and the included "upgraded" electronics is not really an upgrade.

I reset the ESC, fresh new 4S, tried Geforce, Heavy Duty Turnigy, and Zippy 2200 40c rating, same results. It can do vertica,but need a lot of momentum. The plane feels heavy in the sky.

​​​​​​Took out the fan, made sure all is nice and tight, no broken fins, obstruction, or any dirt. Am planning on putting a E-flite 40A (blue version), and see how it goes.

Once it flies has presence, but I can do scale flight, but need to build up a lot of speed to do stunts, loops... rolls are a little anemic. My bad for all this,I was expecting more for a 4S revised version.

Comment

to make it fly on 5S you need to set the ESC to ni-cads/nihms, you will lose LVC if your ESC has it enabled which should be knowing its a plane.

I hand launch mine, cracked the fuselage do to lack of instructionson how to launch it, I used 3/4 and the CG not correct. The QC on Freewing planes is hit or miss, and not consistent. My first EDF, no, I dont need to search in a forum how it should be thrown, this is not Aliexpress. The F22 is on the sluggish side.

The CG had to be figured out , not correct at least mine, could be kind of heavy on foam. Oh well, at least it flies, does somehow decent loops and rolls, not the most linear and predictible, but its ok.

Comment

Best jet ever; BUT That damn blue box!!!! 2nd one to bit the dust taking the nose gear servo with it. Had about 20-30 flights on this one!!! NOT HAPPY

Comment

the pnly way I can fly it is if there is wind, it likes to glide, but no wind, and this plane is a cow. I even bought a 1800mah Fcpnegy 80c 4S and does not fly in any wind, will bank, drop a wing and crash.

Have it w the few degrees of elevator trim, battery pushed all the way to the back, cg set as the manual, and the damn thing barely makes it. The only times I crash it is hand launching it AT FULL THROTTLE, it DOES NOT FLY, waste of money, its a cow.

The Stinger and the F20 Electrifly are cake to hand launch.
              Attached Files

Comment

Just bought one of these. It sucks. As soon as the front wheel leaves the ground, it tries to flip over. Most of the time it is successful. All control surfaces look symmetrical. If you can manage to keep it upright, it flies in high Alfa about 5 ft off the ground rocking back and forth. The CG is about 2 mm in front of recommendation. I estimate the ground speed at 15-20 mph, but that is as fast as it will go. I'm going to try a down hill take off. Buyers remorse!
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_211142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	216746Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_211318.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	216747
                  *the two beige dots is the cg for mine, slightly tail heavy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_211036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	216748

I fly mine hand launching it, luckily I am ambidexteous, but more dominant left hand.

I prefer to fly it on Rhino 1800mah 4S, no landing gear, elevator must be a few degrees offset per the manual, and make a cheater hole behind the canopy, in front of the fan, top of the fuselage. It will have the punch needed to take off. It likes to fly a little tail heavy, slightly, if anything trim on flight and readjust battery. Disregard the broke grill, that was me tinkering with the ESC and broke some of the vent sticks, barely get any grass as long as I kill the motor quick before it lands.

Make sure to get those kitchen cabinet mats, a roll of 8ft is about 10 dollars. Or get the one from Doar Tree and wrap around battery and secure w rubber band.

Choose a 5-7mph wind day, no wind is not good for this jet. When bringing it back have some juice left as it floats and WILL overshoot. Keep it 10% throttle, high rates on elevator and let go off it as soon its going to hit the deck or else it will keep the tips of the elevator. High rates to take off for aileron and elevator, and only for elevator to land.

Will take a few pics of the cheater hole, flies well.

Comment

I just got the 3S version for Christmas. Overall, I love the look of the model, except that it seems once again, Freewing used an oversized pilot figure. Do they think all American pilots are giants?

Comment

With all the T33 hype going on, and out of my price league, I thought I'd cash in on this edf. It's replacing my freewing Mig 15. Which I'm giving or raffling off at the next meeting.

Comment

Hello guys, just got the RC Air bug, been reading for 10 hours straight.. So much information i am bit confused now. Would love if someone can point me to a good read about the relation of plane weight - EDF(weight & thrust) - Battery(weight & power).
                        I am also thinking of buying the 64mm F22 4s PNP and stuck atm about what battery i should be getting. As far as i have learnt i need a battery, charger, radio receiver & transmitter, in order to fly this PNP plane (i think the ESC is included). So is that all? Do i need a Gyro ? I know this plane is way out of my league, but i love the F22, i am getting it for sure, but as i have read here its smart to not fly it until experience is gained. Would love to hear your thought & recommendations.

Cheers

Comment

You may find something like the Freewing 64 Stinger a better introduction into EDF jets. I haven't flown my Raptor yet, but I've been told it pretty much needs to be flown full-throttle, while, after takeoff, I can easily throttle back the Stinger to between half and three-quarters throttle. The Stinger also has the benefit of a sport paint scheme that shows up in the sky better than the neutral gray that the USAF uses, and which is intended to not be highly visible (one of our club members bought an F-35 model in the gray paint scheme, and after his first flight, painted the wingtips red to help him see the plane's orientation). While not as exciting as the Raptor in either looks or performance, I've been having a good time with the Stinger.

Whichever EDF you decide to try flying first, get some stick time with a prop trainer first. While not nearly as exciting as an EDF, a trainer has the advantage of being able to fly slower, and tends to be more stable. With a slower plane, you have more time to react, whereas with something fast, by the time you realize something is not right, it's too late for a beginner to react. Keep in mind, too, that an EDF like either the 64mm Raptor or Stinger, is relatively small. It's tougher to keep track of plane orientation on a smaller model, particularly when it's moving fast. RC simulators such as RealFlight can be invaluable. While RealFlight isn't cheap, it's a lot cheaper than several crashed airplanes. When you crash in the simulator, you just hit the reset button, and the plane is ready to go again. The biggest drawback I've found to the simulator, though, is that it doesn't simulate real-world depth perception. I actually have an easier time lining up on the runway to land with a real RC plane, than I do in the simulator.

I've been flying for a bit over two years now. I started with a powered glider, after playing around on RealFlight for a while. The glider is slow, not highly aerobatic, and pretty good size, so it was a good plane to get the feel for flying. It truly helps to ingrain the basics of control and orientation (big "newbie" mistake is pushing the stick the wrong way when the plane isn't moving straight away from you, for example). From the glider, I added a high-wing trainer, and built up experience on a plane that moves a bit faster and is more responsive. I'd been flying for over a year and a half before I tried an EDF, though part of that was my own hesitation on whether I was ready for it. Other pilots advance at different rates, also depending on how often they get out to fly. Typically, I manage no more than once a week.

Comment

Big brother is waiting for better weather.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The F22 Raptor needs to be flown w a 4S 1800 to 2200, its a heavy plane and not to powerful.
                              Needs a little wind to hand launch or it WILL hit the deck more than not if tossing at zero wind. Do have the angle on the elevator as per instructions. On your first few throws have it a little bit tail heavy, and trim on flight.

Once in the air it flies well, loops are tricky, w a 1800 and good 40c battery will have the punch to do them clean. Have some altitude as sometimes may get squirrely.

I highly recommend a cheater hole to help on the hand launch.

Comment

CAN I USE SPECKTRUM TRAMITTER AND RECIVER ON THIS PLANE??

Comment

You can use a spektrum transmitter and receiver on any plane you apply them to.
                                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Best spectrum 6 channel transmitter and reciver combo

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                                      CAN I USE SPECKTRUM TRAMITTER AND RECIVER ON THIS PLANE??
                                      With any PNP plane, all that really matters is that your Rx and Tx match and are bound. The only other consideration you'd have to watch for, is some of the "micro" receivers use nano servos that have a smaller connector, and you can't plug the regular servos found on this plane into the receiver. If you're using a standard receiver, though, your servos and ESC connection will plug in just fine, and then it's just a matter of setting everything up the way you like it (i.e., making sure your servos aren't reversed from what you need, setting rates, etc.).

Comment

Hi just bought one of these. I'm having the same challenges balancing it. Do you balance these inverted? I'm used to flying WW2 prop planes so used to inverted balancing with gear up.

Thanks
                                        Daniel

Comment

Balance is balance upright or inverted. Slightly easier for me upright.

Comment

Working...
                                          X