X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
    Anyone have both the Freewing and the new FMS F86 80mm's? If so, how do they compare.
    I have both. I haven't flown my FMS 86 yet. I will try a maiden tomorrow, but just from building it the FMS is better in every way so far.

Comment

• Peajay5, I have had my eye on the FMS since I caught RCAV8R's review video.

I like that there wouldn't be much detailing to add to the model and both liveries are great.

The Freewing is a classic, IMHO, though for me, it requires some modification and a repaint.

Looking forward to your review.

Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I need some help. I have a F86 Sabre. I punched it in and damaged the fuselage. I ordered a new fuse, only to discovere the new fuse did not have the small plastic brecket you would attach the steering servo. Without it, and my old one damaged beyond use, one can't attach the steering servo. Searching the parts avalible for the plane, there is none to be had. I opened a ticket with tech, but no response. Somebody out there has to needed the part in the past. Any ideas?

Comment

• Jimbomck you could remove the bracket, glue a 1/16 ply plate on the air intake side of the hole where the servo goes then glue the servo in the normal position with foamtac or servo tape. Dry fit the servo to ensure it clears the nose leg when gear is up.as it should do so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 nose steering.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	395157

Comment

• Originally posted by jimbomck1 View Post
            I need some help. I have a F86 Sabre. I punched it in and damaged the fuselage. I ordered a new fuse, only to discovere the new fuse did not have the small plastic brecket you would attach the steering servo. Without it, and my old one damaged beyond use, one can't attach the steering servo. Searching the parts avalible for the plane, there is none to be had. I opened a ticket with tech, but no response. Somebody out there has to needed the part in the past. Any ideas?
            Remove the bracket, glue 1/16 ply plate to cover servo hole fitted from air intake side ( below servo and ply deck as you look at it. ) Fix servo with servo tape or foamtac , check clearance of nose leg with gear up

Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 nose steering.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	395159

Comment

• Just added the afterburner Kit! Taking it up tomorrow! 😎
              Attached Files

Comment

• Peajay5, looks FANtastic. Whose AB unit did you use? Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  Peajay5, looks FANtastic. Whose AB unit did you use? Best, LB
                  Thanks man! Tooo windy to take it up today hopefully the winds calm down sometime today or on the weekend.

I used the afterburner kit from motion RC: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...-edf-jets-e631

I think I am going with the KM one for my FMS F86: https://kmrcmodel.com/products/unive...otor-version-3

Comment

• Peajay5, Very nicely done.

Wow. I am really lovin' the look and size of the new FMS Sabre.

It has all the modifications I would add to the Freewing F-86 as stock OEM.

Price seems reasonable considering the size and features.

I'm thinking it will be my first venture outside the MotionRC offerings/inventory.

Which livery did you buy? And how difficult would it be to remove some of the decals?

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Peajay5, Very nicely done.

Wow. I am really lovin' the look and size of the new FMS Sabre.

It has all the modifications I would add to the Freewing F-86 as stock OEM.

Price seems reasonable considering the size and features.

I'm thinking it will be my first venture outside the MotionRC offerings/inventory.

Which livery did you buy? And how difficult would it be to remove some of the decals?

Best, LB
                      Yes it's really Nice! The airbrakes makes it so close to scale. I bought the SkyBlazer livery. The decals on the wings would probably be hard to remove but the fuselage ones are probably a little easier. I'm sure there is a method out there for removing them but the decals are really good. I still haven't flown mine yet. I will post once I fly it. Oh be careful with adjusting the servo setup with the speed brake. leave them at 100 or you will burn out one or both servos and have to change them. If that does happen...hit me up and I can give you a step by step to change them without cutting and soldering wires.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Peajay5 Thanks for info.

I would like to recreate Col. James (Jabby) Jabara's Sabre from the Korean Conflict.

He was an Ace and is also a hometown hero.

One of his nephews is a fraternity pledge brother and I have some decent pictures of his aircraft.

I thought his would be a good choice for me, so I would need to remove some markings and add others.

Easy to do on the FreeWing version, just hadn't any experience with FMS models.

Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Peajay5 Thanks for info.

I would like to recreate Col. James (Jabby) Jabara's Sabre from the Korean Conflict.

He was an Ace and is also a hometown hero.

One of his nephews is a fraternity pledge brother and I have some decent pictures of his aircraft.

I thought his would be a good choice for me, so I would need to remove some markings and add others.

Easy to do on the FreeWing version, just hadn't any experience with FMS models.

Best, LB
                          Yep I am familiar with that scheme. I was just at the AF Museum in Dayton about a week ago.

Comment

• I Found a LED light set today with covers. I'm thinking about doing a NAV and landing light in the wings of my Freewing F 86 aircraft. Has anyone tried or done this mod? I am doing a mockup of how I want to run the wires in the wings and stuff. I have dremel to make clean small channel to run the wires also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peajay5 View Post
                              I Found a LED light set today with covers. I'm thinking about doing a NAV and landing light in the wings of my Freewing F 86 aircraft. Has anyone tried or done this mod? I am doing a mockup of how I want to run the wires in the wings and stuff. I have dremel to make clean small channel to run the wires also.
                              Hey PJ, you are on the right track. Just follow the aileron wires and that keeps your foam surgery to a minimum.

You can make a slit with a hobby knife and pry it open slightly with out damaging the foam too badly.

Stuffing the wire in with almost anything smooth. example plastic butter knife.

A Dremel will definitely remove material you'll need to fill, sand, and prime later.

I do not own this beauty, but I have added extra LED lighting to every FreeWing and FlightLIne model I have bought.

Great idea. look forward to seeing your mod when complete.

Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hey PJ, you are on the right track. Just follow the aileron wires and that keeps your foam surgery to a minimum.

You can make a slit with a hobby knife and pry it open slightly with out damaging the foam too badly.

Stuffing the wire in with almost anything smooth. example plastic butter knife.

A Dremel will definitely remove material you'll need to fill, sand, and prime later.

I do not own this beauty, but I have added extra LED lighting to every FreeWing and FlightLIne model I have bought.

Great idea. look forward to seeing your mod when complete.

Best, LB
                                Hey what's up man! Thanks for the tip! I can definitely run the wires in the same channels after looking at it from your suggestion. Just have to make a small channel to the wings. i don't want to sand or pime and all that, so trying to keep the surgery to as minimal as possible. I'm using my FMS F86 as a guide also. :) Thanks for the help.

Oh what light kit do you use for your models? I found an LED set with long leads that work for the jet, but I ordered the L-39 Light set as a backup just in case.https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...-set-fj2151113

Comment

• PJ, I have a couple of the MotionRC light kits and just used the LEDs from those,

I bought a spool of 4-wire servo wire, LEDs in white, red, green, blue, yellow, and even some RGBs and now I just wire those myself.

Voltage differences was the learning curve for me.

I add resistors when necessary, and/or use a separate battery pack.

I have even used an extra MotionRC Little Blue Box just for the lighting side.

Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                  X