Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as much as I love my Avios Mig-17, it is time for it to go. I found and proper home for it and plan on getting the F-86. I will drop in an FMS 2100kv 12 blade set up for the ultimate performance and plan to paint it as a tribute to Benjamin O Davis of the Tuskegee airmen...
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
      as much as I love my Avios Mig-17, it is time for it to go. I found and proper home for it and plan on getting the F-86. I will drop in an FMS 2100kv 12 blade set up for the ultimate performance and plan to paint it as a tribute to Benjamin O Davis of the Tuskegee airmen...
      Except for why I didn't replace mine when I lost it (mid-air destruction) and the paint job, this was what I did when I got my F-86 (ARF). The FMS powerplant does give it that extra bit of punch that was missing from the original (which a friend had and also transplanted the FMS unit into).

Comment

• The F-86 is so gentle and easy to fly. Adding in that FMS 2100kv power system puts the motion F-86 in the great flyer category!!! You wont be disappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Except for why I didn't replace mine when I lost it (mid-air destruction) and the paint job, this was what I did when I got my F-86 (ARF). The FMS powerplant does give it that extra bit of punch that was missing from the original (which a friend had and also transplanted the FMS unit into).
          The FMS is the most powerful lower end fan at the moment. It is comparable in price to the FW and in most cases cheaper with better amp draws as well. I look forward to it and will keep you guys updated...
          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I am picking a F-86 on Saturday. Looking forward to flying. It is the original version. I reviewed most of thread. Doesn't appear to be any gotchas'. Is there anything I missed?

Comment

• Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post
              I am picking a F-86 on Saturday. Looking forward to flying. It is the original version. I reviewed most of thread. Doesn't appear to be any gotchas'. Is there anything I missed?
              I have one of the originals myself, it was given to me several years ago after the original pilot crashed it into a fence, I glued it all back together and its still flying today with original everything except nose gear, I had to replace it, great flying jet for sure, make sure you don't go with the book CG, way to nose heavy, I'm sure you read all about that already??

Comment

• Make sure the retract mounts are securely glued to the foam. Put loctite on the retract set screws. Relocate the ESC below the wood tray so you can move the LiPo back and balance per the tail sit test... And enjoy.

Comment

• DCORSAIR and Evan D.

Thanks for the information. One thing I forgot to mention the plane is coming with a Spektrum 8010T receiver and a A3 gyro. As for batteries, I have 3 SMART 6S 5000 and one Roaring Top 6S 5200 battery. I am hoping they fit. The gentleman flew it on his IX12, I am taking my DX8G2 and memory card. I am hoping we can download his SMP file and uploaded it to my DX8G2. This will make configuring the gyro easier. Never setup one up before. I also thought about removing it altogether.

Comment

DCORSAIR and Evan D.

Thanks for the information. One thing I forgot to mention the plane is coming with a Spektrum 8010T receiver and a A3 gyro. As for batteries, I have 3 SMART 6S 5000 and one Roaring Top 6S 5200 battery. I am hoping they fit. The gentleman flew it on his IX12, I am taking my DX8G2 and memory card. I am hoping we can download his SMP file and uploaded it to my DX8G2. This will make configuring the gyro easier. Never setup one up before. I also thought about removing it altogether.
                    You should have no problem with any of that... The batteries are fine, and the iX12 is completely compatible with your tx minus the voice alerts.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	89BF09D2-E4E4-498C-89E8-9B9F619F2F61.jpeg
Views:	737
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	307533 I was just burning time... but this is my F-86 with the FMS 2100 in it. I used multiple systems until installing this.

the time from throttle advance to liftoff was 3 seconds. The collage ends at 7-8 seconds from full stop. You definitely need to change out the old generation pointed spinner version if that’s what the plane has. It’s worth every penny

Comment

• Without reading the complete thread. What is the best elevator to flap mix?

Comment

Without reading the complete thread. What is the best elevator to flap mix?
                          You can't necessarily use other peoples' settings as it depends on how you fly and how you have the flaps set up. I use 0%, 5% and 10% but that works for me. It may not work for you, so caution is advised.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to Summer flying! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4523.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	308071

Comment

You can't necessarily use other peoples' settings as it depends on how you fly and how you have the flaps set up. I use 0%, 5% and 10% but that works for me. It may not work for you, so caution is advised.
                              xviper,

I agree with you about settings. I was just looking for a starting place since nothing was provided in the manual. Originally, I was thinking 0%, 4% and 8% or your suggesting settings. Thanks

Comment

• Like me, I don't use any flap/ele. mix on mine, I just drop the flaps and land, there are no surprises really with the F-86, it does drop the nose a little, but I like holding a little elevator on final anyway, so yes, what works for others may not work for you. The F-86 is a great flying jet, relax and have fun with it, I fly with the drop tanks on and use a 5000 60C lipo, had to carve a little foam under the cockpit to fit, I get around 3-1/2- 4 minutes and I don't fly slow, mine is the original F-86 from about 3 yrs ago...

Comment

• Originally posted by Amjet View Post
                                  I'm looking forward to Summer flying!
                                  Your response and picture gave me a jab in the side (an idea that I should have come up with myself). Our winter can be 6 months long, most of those with ice and snow at the flying field. My F-86 has been hanging from the ceiling all winter long, just waiting for its turn to fly again in the late spring. If I don't crash and break this plane to pieces by next winter, I'm going to install skis on it and make it another snow jet. "Another", you may ask? I currently have a Mirage 2000 Tiger meet EDF with floats on it that I fly in winter. It performs so well and helps me with my jet addiction for the other 1/2 of the year. In fact, I may switch to skis for the Mirage as the floats add too much aerodynamic "oddness" to the flight characteristics. An F-86 with skis would be a great addition.

Comment

Your response and picture gave me a jab in the side (an idea that I should have come up with myself). Our winter can be 6 months long, most of those with ice and snow at the flying field. My F-86 has been hanging from the ceiling all winter long, just waiting for its turn to fly again in the late spring. If I don't crash and break this plane to pieces by next winter, I'm going to install skis on it and make it another snow jet. "Another", you may ask? I currently have a Mirage 2000 Tiger meet EDF with floats on it that I fly in winter. It performs so well and helps me with my jet addiction for the other 1/2 of the year. In fact, I may switch to skis for the Mirage as the floats add too much aerodynamic "oddness" to the flight characteristics. An F-86 with skis would be a great addition.
                                    It would be awesome if it was as easy as gluing the oversized drop tanks on, but adding something to the bottom to strengthen them up and make them a little bit slicker of a surface to rotate off of. Like the plastic protectors that come glued onto the ME-262's nacelles.Only issue I can see is actually rotating for takeoff... You would be restricted by the exhaust port, which is only a few inches from the ground. You would need a good amount of speed.... but I'm sure it can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

It would be awesome if it was as easy as gluing the oversized drop tanks on, but adding something to the bottom to strengthen them up and make them a little bit slicker of a surface to rotate off of. Like the plastic protectors that come glued onto the ME-262's nacelles.Only issue I can see is actually rotating for takeoff... You would be restricted by the exhaust port, which is only a few inches from the ground. You would need a good amount of speed.... but I'm sure it can be done.
                                      I think skis would work even better than the floats do on my Mirage. When the snow/ice is hard and cold, skis should slide really well. Thinking about it some more, it might be better to remove the wheels and adapt the skis to the struts - just disable the retracts so as to not accidentally retract them when the skis are on.
                                      Here's a video of one of my first flights of the Mirage on floats. It goes really fast on take off. It took me a few flights to ease up on the ELE so it didn't LEAP into the air and to also not high alpha so much on landing when the power is cut. That was all to do with practice with throttle management. BTW, not only was this the Mirage's maiden with floats but it was it's maiden - brand new plane, never flown with wheels. I used the stock wing tank mounts (reinforced) and floats from a HobbyKing Tundra. I cut out the mounting section from the Mirage's wing tanks to use for standard attachment (magnet) but reinforced with a little glue. The bottom of the floats were lined with clear Gorilla tape.
                                      This F-86 should be just the same when it comes to adapting floats and I've seen a Viperjet with skis, so that should be also an easy do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3782.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	308594

Comment

• That was a great maiden! I’ve always wanted one of the Mirages. That was definitely the first RC video I have seen that captured something burning up as it entered the atmosphere. The plane flew great from what I could tell. Maybe you could incorporate slight elevons into your takeoff configuration like the mirage. Being as the two airframes are basically as different as you could get, the outcome may not be what I’m thinking.

Comment

• I think the Sabre, by way of its design, would be much smoother in take off and landing. Deltas tend to be very pitchy when lifting off from the ground and when power is suddenly cut. The configuration of the Sabre is not too unlike that of the ViperJet. Those two brothers from Slovenia had one with skis and it performed the very same as when it had wheels.
                                          Anyway, the Sabre ski jet will be a next winter project, assuming I don't smash the heck out of it this season.

Comment

Working...
                                          X