Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got rid of my sabre far too quick. I really bees to give it another shot with todays 9bl inrunner setup

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
      those landings were perfect!
      Thanks Brent ... I'll pass the compliment on to Michael. though I think he hangs out here on Squawk too? But that's why I whipped out my handy iPhone video camera today ... he was killing the landings and I couldn't resist shooting them!
      Your F-86 looks awesome, as usual Brent! You always raise the bar a dozen building stories or so!

Comment

• Well thanks :p sadly i sold my sabre before i repainted it. I need to find amother one and do it up right. They are fantastic flyers! Did you ever see my recent f14 i did?

Comment

• Hi guys,
          My plan is to maiden my F-86 this weekend. I put the maiden on my Avanti over the weekend and found the aileron thrown to be too sensitive set per the manual. What are you guys using for throws on your F-86’s ?
          Thanks!!
          Anthony
          Attached Files

Comment

• F-86 is a docile roller at best, put in as much throw as you like with minimal expo, and you'll have the best of both worlds

Comment

• I just got back from the field. I tried to maiden my F-86 and no luck. We have a well groomed 800ft grass strip cut very short and I could not get the F-86 to rotate. Just would not get enough speed. I have the HP version as well. I tried no flaps, half and full flaps. I also calibrated the ESC again to be sure I was getting full power.
              Anyone have any suggestions for operations off a grass field with this plane ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                I just got back from the field. I tried to maiden my F-86 and no luck. We have a well groomed 800ft grass strip cut very short and I could not get the F-86 to rotate. Just would not get enough speed. I have the HP version as well. I tried no flaps, half and full flaps. I also calibrated the ESC again to be sure I was getting full power.
                Anyone have any suggestions for operations off a grass field with this plane ?
                I know with the real F-86 if the nose comes up too soon in the takeoff run the drag increase actually keeps the plane from accelerating and hugely increases the takeoff run. On the model....don’t know

Comment

• I can’t get the nose up, it will not rotate. I have the CG set where it will rest on its tail and the nose will fall when you lift the tail about 1”.
                  I may have to see about modifying it for slightly larger wheels.

Comment

• This was almost expected when the attached pic was posted in one of your posts a while back.... It has to be extremely nose heavy or tail heavy (without the lipo installed) being as you stated the correct CG. Make sure the tires are not too tight and rubbing on takeoff, and of course... ESC Calibration.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I found my problem, a wet grass runway full of grass clippings. I had to pull the EDF unit to remove all the grass.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Waconut, That'll do it. Glad it was something simple. Looks like you might want to add some type of grass guard device to the bottom inlet. Hmmm.... Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                          Waconut, That'll do it. Glad it was something simple. Looks like you might want to add some type of grass guard device to the bottom inlet. Hmmm.... Best, LB
                          Hi LB,
                          I added aluminum window screen material over the cheater hole. I am also going to stiffen up the front strut to keep is from compressing during the takeoff run. I will try again this weekend to get the maiden flight in.

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                            Well good news and bad news. I was able to get the maiden flight in this morning and she flew great. The only adjustment was 2 clicks of right aileron and it was tracking straight and level. I went to put the 2nd flight on it and hit a small hole or bump in the runway just before rotating and it turned sideways and ripped the main gear out .

I did film the maiden flight with my sport cam but was disappointed to find out I had the camera angled too high and was shooting over top of the plane during the takeoff and landing. I did get some usable flight footage. The plane really flew great and I greased the landing with a nice smooth touch down on the mains. I will get it patched up and fly it again next weekend. Taking the A-10 out tomorrow.

Here is the video of the maiden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNcXlci_dA

Comment

• Hi guys,
                              What would be the best glue to reattach the retracts into the wing pockets? I have 5 min epoxy, Gorilla glue or the tube glue supplied by Freewing.

Comment

• I flew the F-85 again today. It just does not like a grass runway.

Comment

• Just glue them back in... it was guaranteed to happen sooner or later. Doesn’t matter if there were nothing but perfect landings. I ripped mine out before flight on my 2nd version 😀

Comment

• While waiting for mig29 and saab gripen to arrive here in Scotland.
                                    I decided to repaint my 80mm F86

Started with Tamiya primer over existing decals.
                                    Airbrush pattern with Tamiya paints
                                    Design and make my own graphics
                                    Weather and dirty with oil pastels
                                    then x2 coats clear matt acrylic varnish

all done in x2 days

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200910_122342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	274317
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_164711.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	274319

Name:	20200913_125240.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	274320

Name:	20200913_125258.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	274321

Name:	20200913_125318.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	274322

Name:	20200913_125352.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	274323

Name:	20200913_125603.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	274324

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                      I flew the F-86 again today. It just does not like a grass runway.
                                      https://youtu.be/RWuQtlCZ344
                                      That's exactly how the 2 Sabres behaved on grass a couple years ago at our old field. Most times, it wouldn't make it off the ground before the end of the runway. Even just rolling on the rough grass ripped out the retracts. Mind you, that was back when the plane came with the old outrunners. I've got the inrunner in mine and it's got pretty good push, though I haven't tried it on grass yet.
                                      Does yours have the inrunner?

Comment

• Yes I have the inrunner version. The grass has to be fresh cut and blow all the clippings out of the runway.
                                        Once I get it airborne it is a blast to fly and it looks and sounds great in the air.

Comment

• coyote137
                                          Your pics are not showing up for me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X