X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony,

If you have already experienced the foam being attacked by using that filler, I would not recommend continuing to use it.

Find another brand of paint.

Just my 2 cents.
    Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• The Dupli-Color brand attacked the foam not the Rustoleum. I switched to the Duplicolor because it is high build and goes on thicker. I am going back to the rustoleum after the plane cures overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
        Was an eventful day, I thought I ruined the F-86.

I had started off spraying rust-oleum filler primer. It sprays on in a thin layer. I am used to using Dupli-color High fill primer on my built up scale models. I picked some up today and sprayed the wing tanks, wing bottoms tail and fuse. I went back to the drop tanks and they had started gatoring in a bad way.

The dupli-color has softened the Polycrylic and caused the foam surface to gator. Luckily the drop tanks were the worst. The surfaces felt soft. After 4 hours the foam has hardened back and most of the gatoring is sanding out. I am going to let it cure out until tomorrow and sand the entire plane then apply a light coat of the Rust-oleum filler primer.

Hopefully all is good to continue.
        Later!!
        Anthony
        Bummer,

I have had very good luck wet sanding the foam and laying up latex or primer coats. Wet-sand with 400 glued on a firm foam block. The water keeps the foam from building up heat which adds to the gator effect. the 2nd pic shows the lower side completed Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_092206.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	245340Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_121544.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	245341
        good luck.
        rc flyin addict

Comment

• I just completed a FW A-10 and used latex and it turned out great. I am going for a polished aluminum finish on the F-86 and wanted to use enamel.

Anyhow 2 things I have learned. Pick a model where I can use latex and pick a model that does not come with the decals already applied.

I will get this plane to the finish line and it will look good. Just going to take a lot of extra work. One thing I do have is time.

later!!
          Anthony

Comment

• WRT decals just lightly prime, scuff and paint over them, they disappear and are smoother than the foam.Wet sanding gets me back to laquire days ,spray 10 coats, wet sand, then buff, shiny like a marble. wetsand on the foam works like magic since you have the time . Silver is tough though
            rc flyin addict

Comment

• Silver is a very low pigment paint which makes it very difficult to work with.
              My next build will be an F-4 with a gray paint scheme in Marine squadron colors. I will be using latex.

Comment

Silver is a very low pigment paint which makes it very difficult to work with.
                My next build will be an F-4 with a gray paint scheme in Marine squadron colors. I will be using latex.
                I like the flat latex paint in sample cans at Home depot. When applied with a foam brush it comes out perfectly smooth (sometimes I thin just a little, use 2 coats) The flat finish really hides imperfections and is ez to repair and blend paint. For dings I use the DAP fast and final lightweight sparkling, also disappears under paint :o)
                rc flyin addict

Comment

• I have the fuselage all smoothed out. I am putting flush rivets into the fuse. I am using a piece of brass tubing inserted into a soldering iron. Just a quick light press onto the surface does the trick. I then press down on the rivet with my finger to set the surface back down. After I am finished they will get a light sanding with 400 grit.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I can tell it's gonna be sweet. Can't wait to see the chrome on it !

Comment

• After a 4 hour eye crossing marathon run all flush rivets are applied to the fuse. Now a light 400 grit sanding.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Waconut, Impressive. Can't imagine the 'eye strain', though I understand the why! Lookin' good, Sir. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I cleaned the fuse and wiped it down with alcohol. I used a syringe and wood glue to reapply the rivets/screw heads that I sanded off while smoothing out the fuselage. Once these have dried the paint can go on.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• WOW,
                            Chrome paint does not replicate chrome very well but it does replicate polished aluminum almost to a “t”.
                            I can’t wait till it dries so I can hit the bottom side.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• In my experience you will need to spray a clear coat over the chrome because the chrome spray is not very durable. It rubs off on your hands.

That will further dull it a little.
                              Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• Some dulling might not be a bad thing. I would spray a test piece and run a fine scotch bright pad over it and see what find of effect you get .

Comment

• I am going to let it cure overnight and see how it looks tomorrow. I will be airbrushing the panel at the tailpipe. In the morning I will start on the rivets on the wing panels. I am happy with the look on the fuse might as well keep going.

Comment

Reading through this thread I see some guys have replaced the wheels on this plane. What brand of wheels are you using and what size?
                                    Thanks!!
                                    Anthony
                                    I used the wheels from the mig 21 on mine. The nose gear can accommodate a larger wheel also i forget what size i used

Comment

• I am happy with how the fuse turned out. Callie will be shipping the graphics on Tuesday and I need to wait and see what all is included before I do anymore painting to the fuselage. Now on to the wings.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Waconut She looks absolutely brilliant, Sir and I am looking forward to watching your build. Nice to see your work at each step. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The chrome is painted on the wings. I added the rivet details to the tail surfaces and have the chrome and white painted on them as well. The wings and tail surfaces will have to cure out for several days before I can mask and spray the blue and red paint.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X