X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
    I'd like a little more speed for fluid aerobatics I've got a few FW power systems to include a 6 blade and 9 bladed fan. Has anyone had success using another FW power system set up in their F-86. Keep in mind I've been flying this one since about 2015 stock so not sure if they upgraded the power system for the ones they sell now...:Confused:
    I blew the rotor on mine, believe fod got it. I picked up a used FW set up that has the 1800kv motor and 100 amp esc. Not a speed demon by any means, but a very noticeable increase in thrust and speed over the stock 1750kv set up.

Comment

• Well I hate taking the damn wing off this bird, but I think I'm gonna throw in the 9 blade power system first, and I hope I'll like the performance since I love the 12 bladed sound and the 9 bladed one isn't too far removed from the whoosh we all love.

After that setup, whether I like it or not, I'm going to throw in the 6 bladed setup, which I believe I will love the performance of most, but absolutely hate the sound for, oh well we will see...

Comment

• id go with the 9 blade but never the 6 blade this is a very bulkey plane..ive put the fms fan with a 2000kv 12 blade in and really helped the speed then replaced that with the 2100kv fan and has almost has unlimited vertical lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
          id go with the 9 blade but never the 6 blade this is a very bulkey plane..ive put the fms fan with a 2000kv 12 blade in and really helped the speed then replaced that with the 2100kv fan and has almost has unlimited vertical lol
          Do you have exactly which FMS 12 Blade fan and the 2100kv motor by chance?

Comment

• http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-80mm-duc...0-kv2100-motor

this is the hole unit with the 2100 motor its the same fan unit for the 2000 motor hh has it also here

Comment

http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-80mm-duc...0-kv2100-motor

this is the hole unit with the 2100 motor its the same fan unit for the 2000 motor hh has it also here
              https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplan...--p-efla8012df
              Thank you Ron, I just purchased that setup. Almost unlimited vertical sounds pretty good to me, I'm about 7 to 15 days away from a repower!

Comment

• you will really like the power and sound from this fan also your batteries and esc don't get hot just a little warm with throttle management u can check out the sound on this clip if u want https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmyCUUur8Q

Comment

you will really like the power and sound from this fan also your batteries and esc don't get hot just a little warm with throttle management u can check out the sound on this clip if u want https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmyCUUur8Q
                  Longer flight times by chance? Due to greater efficiency from this power setup.

Comment

• well that's up to the way u fly it I guess

Comment

well that's up to the way u fly it I guess
                      Do you have vids of this setup. I am going to purchase another one of these awesome birds.
                      AMA 1102566

Comment

• look at the flying vid on #427

Comment

you will really like the power and sound from this fan also your batteries and esc don't get hot just a little warm with throttle management u can check out the sound on this clip if u want https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmyCUUur8Q
                          What esc did you use?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayler View Post

What esc did you use?
                            Not sure what he used, but I purchased a 100amp with 120amp burst capability from FMS website. It was the biggest one they had. From what I read about this power setup, it only pulls about 90 amps max.

Comment

• I used the freewing 100a esc set up for the f86 (had the correct wire lenths for this plane) I haven't had any problems with any of there esc's

Comment

• I'm considering purchasing a used Freewing F-86. I have a few questions.
                                1. It apparently has an upgraded motor, fan, and ESC. Has anyone heard of putting the Avanti motor, fan and ESC into the F86? So far I've only found mention of the FMS 12blade fan upgrade.
                                2. I'm a former full size flying instructor, and always test my RC models for stalls, so I can learn how far I can slow them down. Have also been experimenting with airspeed telemetry on my Avanti. Anyway, the Avanti stalls, spins, and tail slides great, and recovers instantly, though usually pointing downward so loss of altitude. It's first stall tendency is a gentle nose drop (even with a rearward C of G). And only if you hold back elevator for a few seconds does it drop a wing tip. How does the F86 stall? Abrupt or gentle nose drop? Does it immediately drop a wing? I know a lot of you wouldn't try or recommend this, but its usually perfectly safe doing it high up. I'm looking for a response from someone who's actually tried it.
                                Thanks very much!

Comment

• Originally posted by russ t View Post
                                  I'm considering purchasing a used Freewing F-86. I have a few questions.
                                  1. It apparently has an upgraded motor, fan, and ESC. Has anyone heard of putting the Avanti motor, fan and ESC into the F86? So far I've only found mention of the FMS 12blade fan upgrade.
                                  2. I'm a former full size flying instructor, and always test my RC models for stalls, so I can learn how far I can slow them down. Have also been experimenting with airspeed telemetry on my Avanti. Anyway, the Avanti stalls, spins, and tail slides great, and recovers instantly, though usually pointing downward so loss of altitude. It's first stall tendency is a gentle nose drop (even with a rearward C of G). And only if you hold back elevator for a few seconds does it drop a wing tip. How does the F86 stall? Abrupt or gentle nose drop? Does it immediately drop a wing? I know a lot of you wouldn't try or recommend this, but its usually perfectly safe doing it high up. I'm looking for a response from someone who's actually tried it.
                                  Thanks very much!
                                  It will wing tip stall, but you're going to be blown away with just how slow you can get before it does. The "swept" wing F-86 is a benign jet trainer through about 90% of its flight envelope. I've hovered it, flaps up at about 150 AGL and an 8 to 10 knot headwind with probably no more that holding about 15 to 20% stick movement from center of up elevator, and 40% throttle. It is usually the first jet I fly upon arrival at the airfield, to knock off any rust, and get my warm and fuzzy on. I'd replace it in a heartbeat if I ever planted it. Currently flying it stock and have been since 2015. However the FMS upgraded power system just arrived yesterday for it...

Comment

• Originally posted by russ t View Post
                                    I'm considering purchasing a used Freewing F-86. I have a few questions.
                                    Thanks very much!
                                    Your not the only one that test the stalls on your jets, I do it all the time, usually use a whole battery up testing slow flight with full flaps and without flaps, I think a lot of people wouldn't be crashing so often as they do if they would take them up and test the stall, ever noticed in so many videos it's usually on the turn to final, testing the slow speed stall up high helps a lot to learn what you can expect on that turn to final. I have a 3 yr old Sabre that a guy crashed and he gave it to me, so I glued it back together and it has been flying since, in fact I bring it out so everyone can fly it if they want to, retracts are oringinal and beyond worn out but they still work, it will drop a wing but nothing you can't recover from unless your just to low and slow, great flyer and I'm thinking about buying a new kit, mine is all stock too, one day I may hop it up for fun......:)

Comment

• This is a trainer as far as EDF flying goes...it has excellent manners in all flying aspects. If you are going slow enough to drop a wing, you are almost going backwards on this model ;)
                                      I agree that it's the "warm and fuzzy" model that I own also. Just does what you want it to do. I do have the FMS 2000kv inrunner upgrade and it made a definite difference in torque and a little more speed and just made it more of everything I love about this jet, very easy and very worth it upgrade. I had the Starmax 4S F-86 that I flew for several years and it was a slow, underpowered and always problematic flyer...this one should NEVER go out of production and everyone should experience this jet. I'm a LITTLE biased maybe.

Comment

• My Sabre is three plus years old and had the dings and dents to prove it. After some major thinking I decided to try something different.....a bare metal finish. After a few weeks prep time I started on the underside of the wings, so that any initial problems would be out of sight. Took a couple of attempts to figure things out, but went with 3M Spray Adhesive and as small pieces as possible, basically following the panels line of the aircraft. This also helped to keep the compound curve work to a minimum. Different sides of the foil were used to mimic the variations in the metal you can see on the real thing. A very diluted smoke and brass acrylic added a little "heated" effect. A couple of folks had mentioned that the foil would probably be a good signal blocker, luckily I have always run my antenna up in the rear gap between the canopy hatch and the fuselage and this has been a success. No glitches or servo chatter whatsoever.
                                        The only down side, if you can call it that, is the highly reflective surface hides/doesn't create any shadows on the airframe so you really need to keep an eye on it. But at 75% throttle it looks awesome on flybys, extremely realistic. Cloudy days bring out the finish best.
                                        Love this plane. Can see another flying into my hangar in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
                                          This is a trainer as far as EDF flying goes...it has excellent manners in all flying aspects. If you are going slow enough to drop a wing, you are almost going backwards on this model ;)
                                          I agree that it's the "warm and fuzzy" model that I own also. Just does what you want it to do. I do have the FMS 2000kv inrunner upgrade and it made a definite difference in torque and a little more speed and just made it more of everything I love about this jet, very easy and very worth it upgrade. I had the Starmax 4S F-86 that I flew for several years and it was a slow, underpowered and always problematic flyer...this one should NEVER go out of production and everyone should experience this jet. I'm a LITTLE biased maybe.
                                          Have you tried the older generation FW 12b Inrunner?
                                          I’m swapping that out for the FMS as well. Hoping to see at least a little improvement

Comment

Working...
                                          X