X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RPC View Post
    Hi....... I'm placing an order today for the 80mm F-86.....I'm currently flying with Turnigy 4000 and 5000 6s 60C batteries.....can someone tell me if these batteries will fit in the F-86 without modifying the fuselage.....please advise.....Thanks.
    They should fit, huge battery tray...I run the old and new style Admiral 5000 is mine with plenty of room.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks for your prompt response....I'm placing my order now.

I'm looking forward to flying the F-86 and learning more from tips like yours on the forum....

Regards...Bob C..

Comment

• Originally posted by RPC View Post
        Thanks for your prompt response....I'm placing my order now.

I'm looking forward to flying the F-86 and learning more from tips like yours on the forum....

Regards...Bob C..
        I love mine, my TiredIron Aviation guys bought it for me to celebrate my year of daily flying so it's a very special plane to me. RCJetDude is the one presenting it to me (it was his idea):Cool:

TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• The larger C 5K batts are a very tight fit. I have. CNHL 6S-5K batts and they only fit if I scrape foam off the bottom of the battery hatch. However, my Admiral 6S-5K (50C, IIRC) batt fits just fine. Also, read back through this thread about the CG problems. The suggested CG is too far forward. It's tough on grass to get up to takeoff speed with that CG and the stock EDF. Much les of a problem on a hard surface.
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

• I have flown mine on a zippy compact 6200mah 40c but its not very nice. A decent high c 5000mah is the biggest you'd really want to go. I normally set mine so with the battery installed but not the canopy it will just sit on its tail and stay there when the nose is lifted, about and inch before the tail touches it still wants to return the nose wheel to the ground. When you fit the canopy the nose drops back to the floor and won't sit on its tail when placed on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
              I have flown mine on a zippy compact 6200mah 40c but its not very nice. A decent high c 5000mah is the biggest you'd really want to go. I normally set mine so with the battery installed but not the canopy it will just sit on its tail and stay there when the nose is lifted, about and inch before the tail touches it still wants to return the nose wheel to the ground. When you fit the canopy the nose drops back to the floor and won't sit on its tail when placed on it.
              Is this with the ESC in the stock position or did you drop it down so you could push the battery back further?

Comment

• It is dropped down so the battery can sit above it.

Comment

• OK thanks I must do that with mine. I’m limited to 4500mah batteries at the moment and even then she needs 20g of tail weight.

Comment

• No problem, it'll make all the difference.

Comment

• I'm ready to start assembling my F-86 and I'm wondering about the glue for the rear fuselage to front. Is the glue sent with the plane adequate?

Comment

• Personally, I never trust the glues that are sent in the kits. I'd rather use an adhesive that I trust. So, I used Foam Tac. Now, I'm confident that the pieces are glued together well.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

• The glues that come with the models is OK if you use it exactly correctly. Its a contact adhesive with no instructions....

Apply very thin to both surfaces. Let dry till its just tacky. Immediately join the parts.

Its the same glue used for assembly at the factory.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I think the Chinese contact cement that comes with the planes is excellent. I use liberal amounts on both surfaces....press them together, then pull them apart and let it tack up for a few minutes, then press them back together. simple. Of course, be sure to keep a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid in your tool box. It desolves the glue, but wont harm the foam, in case you have to remove a part to repair or replace later. you can't do that with foam tac.

Comment

• Finally got my F-86 in the air!!!!! Had to wait for all the rain to quit. Got 4 flights in before wind and storm front moved in. Maiden was really surprising, short roll on takeoff, up quick and level flight. Turns were wonderful, though they can happen fast at high rate. This is really a beauty to fly. First two landings were with extra power and maybe a bit of a long roll out. Last two landings I had a bit of a head wind so added less flap. I wont say they were perfect, but didn't prang anything either. I purchased the A-4, T-45 and the F-4 from MotionRC to add to my EDF fleet. If the others handle as well as the F-86 and construction is as easy, I'm looking forward to getting them all out. What a great plane to fly. Many thanks to MotionRC. BTW, and as a side note, has anyone who owns and has flown the F-86 ever experienced an aileron stall? Last flight I may have been deep into a turn with lots of power, about halfway through the plane departed flight and rolled inverted and out opposite. Anyone ever experience same? I'm at a loss for what it could be. I recovered fine and landed with no damage, and everything checked out okay on the ground.

Comment

• Hi Dutchwhite001, I'm glad you like your F-86! That was our first 80mm project with Freewing, almost five years ago now. The A-4 is our most recent 80mm project with Freewing from just last summer, so if you like the F-86, you'll like the A-4 too as it adds several key design elements such as a single ribbon wire harness for the wing connections, larger landing gear, and a more refined power system. That being said, the F-86 remains one of my favorite flyers in the 80mm class. Its large size makes it a joy to fly. I never landed with flaps, just for reference. Keep an eye on your landing gear, especially the mains, as they'll probably be the first point to fail during a hard landing.

You'll love the 90mm T-45 and F-4, also. Keep us posted!
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha! I am really enjoying the F-86. As I said, I do own the T-45 and the A-4. They are next on the build list. The F-4 should be fun. I should have the DH-112 Venom by Tuesday. I'll keep in mind the landing gear. Here at the field we have both paved and grass. The grass is pretty much under water now, so used the pavement. I look forward to trying a landing without any flaps. Just hold power till the mains are down. It's still a beautiful flyer. I'll be a MotionRC customer for a very long time and look forward to all the releases. Can't wait to get out there and fly the daylights out of this!!!!

Comment

• Hi Dutchwhite, I had a similar incident on my maiden. But it didn't happen on a turn, just going straight. I'm thinking it was a little out of trim and it being so far away was easy to not correct for undesired roll in time. I found myself inverted so my instinct was to cut power and pull back on the elevator. It glided into a hard belly land which shattered a few things but was repairable. After trimming for the next flight, I flew high rate on aileron and decided it was too sensitive to fly in this manner. Stuck with 65% throw and 50% expo. I find that it flies more scale and manageable this way. But that's just me.

Originally posted by dutchwhite001 View Post
                                    Finally got my F-86 in the air!!!!! Had to wait for all the rain to quit. Got 4 flights in before wind and storm front moved in. Maiden was really surprising, short roll on takeoff, up quick and level flight. Turns were wonderful, though they can happen fast at high rate. This is really a beauty to fly. First two landings were with extra power and maybe a bit of a long roll out. Last two landings I had a bit of a head wind so added less flap. I wont say they were perfect, but didn't prang anything either. I purchased the A-4, T-45 and the F-4 from MotionRC to add to my EDF fleet. If the others handle as well as the F-86 and construction is as easy, I'm looking forward to getting them all out. What a great plane to fly. Many thanks to MotionRC. BTW, and as a side note, has anyone who owns and has flown the F-86 ever experienced an aileron stall? Last flight I may have been deep into a turn with lots of power, about halfway through the plane departed flight and rolled inverted and out opposite. Anyone ever experience same? I'm at a loss for what it could be. I recovered fine and landed with no damage, and everything checked out okay on the ground.

Comment

• Also I think that unless you're at Max throttle, to not go into a deep bank for too long. It will stall out. This model is too heavy a jet to not keep sufficient power during sharp maneuvers.

Comment

• Hi MJJ, your experience with the stall is very familiar. To set you up with what happened to me I was heading down wind and carrying all the speed I could. I began a left climbing turn but as the aircraft began to crosswind, the nose pitched up and the plane rolled out the top and inverted. Almost the same as you, I cut power. The model was inverted and spinning but only got about two turns before I throttled up, dumped the flaps and stuck the gear out. I didn't know what else to do at that point. I had just enough altitude that as the nose pitched down I just pulled in the elevator. My rates were set at high. I cleared the ground by maybe 10 feet. It bothered me enough to bring it in and perform a landing I wasn't very proud of. I've flown other EDF jets but had no experience like this. I attributed it to having a more scale airframe and much more power. I had a large scale Mustang end up doing almost the same thing. I lost that one due to the aileron actually fluttering then tearing away. Too low to save it. Alpha said to keep an eye on the landing gear, so I went out today and put two more flights on my F-86. I tried both landings without flaps this time...and, he was right. It dropped on perfectly. I carried power all the way down and only pulled power when the mains touched down. I had about a three knot headwind. I am really loving this F-86! I am out tomorrow morning to fly if the weather and wind Gods are with me. I've set my Sabre up with your throw and expo. I want to try flying it this way to get a more scale flight. I'll let you know how this goes. Tomorrow afternoon my DH-112 Venom should arrive. I want to fly this next and compare to the F-86, but need more flights on the F-86 to build up skill level. I was thinking of buying another one for a really good friend. He spends his life flying crops and breathing fumes. I think he needs to fly this and experience what it is. I'm not letting him fly mine cause he just put his F-14 in the dirt. Ever seen a grown man cry? Thanks again for the response! Really great to be able to bounce my experience off another pilot. Dutch

Comment

• No problem. Also, I deploy my flaps depending on the headwind. If stronger than 11mph, I use about half flaps. If less than that, I use full. If you were able grease a landing with no flaps and very little wind, you had to have been making a long approach with lots of throttle management resulting in a longer roll-out. This jet lands very well with or without flap deployment, just have to adjust accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X